storage upgrade options

Kaliman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
i am looking to upgrade my hard drive space mainly because of the fact that i reformat at least once a month due to my obsessive complusive nature. Backing up my stuff on a friend's computer has become rather arduous and i would like to purchase another hard drive. Right now i am running 2 ibm 60 gb 60 gxp hard drives in raid 0 on a promise fast trak tx2 card. Both my IDE jacks are taken by a burner and a DVD drive. I'm not sure what the best thing to do for me is. What size hard drive to buy, what kind, more than 1? And also how would i make it work with my current raid 0 setup. I'm open to any and all suggestions you may have, thanks.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I bet the best suggestions would come from the Hard Drives forum...

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well of your just doing backup of stuff, then its most economical just to use one drive.

and of course to achieve greatest Gb per buck you cant go past 5400rpm drives such as the maxtor D540X...not the fastest drive in the world but up to 160Gb if you need it (and your ata controler supports 133)

if money is no issue, then get something a bit faster, like i did.

my primary drive was a 40Gb 60GXP, yet i needed alot more storage which was also fast as i planned on doing alot of Divx encoding.
end result? went and got a maxtor D740X 80Gb. fast and big.
course other options exist. 1200BB or JB or 120GXP.

My tech advice here is not free. Email your credit card detials to mynic@hotmail.com :smile: :wink:

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
As a man once said in these here forums. "Watch where you step"!

:lol:

:smile: <b><font color=blue> I took an I.Q. test today...It came back negative.</font color=blue></b> :lol:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have a three channel SCSI RAID card I'll sell you, supports up to 45 drives, imagine the fun of configuring THAT! How about a Raid3 settup with the first two channels as the main and the third as parity?

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Actually I believe that (very wise) man said "Don't step in the sarcasm!" :wink:

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
Crashman, if this were the HDD forum I'd remind you that RAID5 distributes the parity between all of the drives (a different drive for each stripe). RAID3 would use a separate drive for parity. But, since this isn't the HDD forum, I won't....

If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn't have thought so much.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ah, right, I knew this but wasn't thinking at the time: Which odd form uses striping and parity (0 and 3), level 45?

And if each channel had it's drives stiped together, so that each channel appeared as one drive, and then the three arrays were treated as level three, the third being parity, wouldn't that require some kind of super fast processor? Mine RAID controller is only 66MHz!

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
[ego boost on] was that me? i cant remember as i come out with so many profound sayings...[ego boost off]

My tech advice here is not free. Email your credit card detials to mynic@hotmail.com :smile: :wink: