flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Ok, today I turn on my comp, and for some wierd reason, XP gives a blue screen telling me there's a fatal error. Funny, when I press the button to turn off it doesn't, and when I press restart, no signal is sent to the monitor! Uh oh, fried T-Bird? I unplug, plug back in, voila it loads. Temps are kinda high on the bios thermometer though- 50ºC starting temp! Then it started rising every second, till it was at 62, and then my system froze. Same bs that it can't turn off. I restart quickly, and sure enough, temp is at 65 degrees C (my mobo is set to turn off at 65 degrees C). I then took out the CPU, reapplied arctic silver, and am running at 45º C now. Phew. Good thing for the thermal protection on Athlons!

Sig of the week.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Ok, today I turn on my comp, and for some wierd reason, XP gives a blue screen telling me there's a fatal error. Funny, when I press the button to turn off it doesn't, and when I press restart, no signal is sent to the monitor! Uh oh, fried T-Bird? I unplug, plug back in, voila it loads. Temps are kinda high on the bios thermometer though- 50ºC starting temp! Then it started rising every second, till it was at 62, and then my system froze. Same bs that it can't turn off. I restart quickly, and sure enough, temp is at 65 degrees C (my mobo is set to turn off at 65 degrees C). I then took out the CPU, reapplied arctic silver, and am running at 45º C now. Phew. Good thing for the thermal protection on Athlons!
You'll fry that Hathlon sooner or later, mongrel! :tongue:

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
spare?????????????
LOL
SHIZ!!!!
i need to get some spare xp2000+ and 1.2 athlons...
if i had spares....HA!
im using my lowly delapitated athlon900 (B) yes b...200mhz fsb...was all i could afford when i built this sucker.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
win it WHERE?
lol
did you go to one of those xp performance things?
i entered it every time there was an opportunity...to no avail.
looks like i am going to start sawing off one of my arms, and one of my legs :wink:

-DAvid

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
so what was the problem? no/poor contact between HSF and core?

kinda wierd i think, the clip is there to keep the pressure on the core for a decent contact, and an application of AS should last ages.

My tech advice here is not free. Email your credit card detials to mynic@hotmail.com :smile: :wink:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
great...
keep the little twit away from it... next time he might try to zap the ram for fun.

methinks i should change my sig to
morons + amd = bad. :smile:

My tech advice here is not free. Email your credit card detials to mynic@hotmail.com :smile: :wink:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah...my little bro cost me a mobo once.
i told him not to open my case, but he did anyways while i was not home...and low and behold, my mobo doesnt support my processor anymore....sure, i can clock it lower...but it just wont run at stock speeds...
how lame is that?
oh, and he just told me he was "testing hard drives...and i think i touched something i wasnt supposed to."
LAME...that is why i now have a strict rule that only i touch my computer, unless express written consent is given, and i am there, and NO ONE other than me opens the thing...that is a given rule.

-DAvid

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
A penny save is a fuse earned...gotta invest more wisely!

Still ain't figured out how to get my 6VXE+ to run my Dimm's at 133 (even though there's a 533b CPU in the bstard). And since the installation of a bad dimm...I'm down to just 2 dimm slots...eek. I'd get me another mobo...but I can't see spending that much on a 533! They still ain't cheap (not the slot1's anyway).

What were we talkin bout?

If I don't get my 90THz AMD Quadraplex system soon, I'm afraid I may just combust right here.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
heh...
if i were in your shooze i proly would have put that little bro in intensive care and/or make him pay for it out of his pocket money.

shmeggegie

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
yeah...my little bro cost me a mobo once.
i told him not to open my case, but he did anyways while i was not home...and low and behold, my mobo doesnt support my processor anymore....sure, i can clock it lower...but it just wont run at stock speeds...
how lame is that?
oh, and he just told me he was "testing hard drives...and i think i touched something i wasnt supposed to."
LAME...that is why i now have a strict rule that only i touch my computer, unless express written consent is given, and i am there, and NO ONE other than me opens the thing...that is a given rule.

wow, now I no longer lament being the only techy (if you can even call me that) in my house. No one touches ANYTHING that blinks or lights up in my house without calling me first to make sure it's ok. Sure, it sucks to have to tell people that yes, it's ok to record something from tv on the vcr, but it's better than losing a mobo for no good reason.

<b>Studies have shown that most people prefer the taste of AMD to the taste of Intel</b>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah seriously...
i felt like retalliating, but i am somewhat of a pacifist...so i didnt do anything...i just shrugged it off...but you can bet i sure didnt help him out with anything for a while...and made him pay me for my old computer when i would have just given it to him.
and yeah...being the only person in my house who really knows what they are doing, i am constantly being baraged with questions, and requests. LOL...it is like a job.
the fridge stops working...DAVID!
the cable is messed up...DAVID!
the dsl is down...DAVID!
the computer cant see the other on the network...DAVID!
the phone is not working right...DAVID!
i even get calls from my sister who is up in santa cruz right now...to help her fix something, or fix her roomates computer...!!!!
from 5hrs away...it is like talking to a brick...because they dont know much...but they seem to be getting better.
but it is better than having everything messed up, and disorganized...at least there is only one person who is fixing it...so it is easier.
but yeah...thank (insert you religious figure here) that there is a place like THG that i can come vent, seek help, or just help others!

-DAvid

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
your not saying your name is david are you? :smile:

same case in our house.
folks found that my PC is more stable and has a faster net than anything they can get their hands on.... ugh

think all family members are now finally trained in the intricies of on/off.

push the big blue button for on.
when you want off, just push it again (for hibernate mode) then LET THE FREAKIN THING FINISH BEFORE POWERING IT OFF AT THE WALL DAMMIT

hehehe

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
well, my name has been in my sig forever i think...hehe :eek:
and yeah...teaching them On and Off was the first thing...then move on to more difficult, like open program.
and yeah...my computer can stay on for weeks...and still be more stable, faster, and have the faster net connection!
lol
oh well..they still dont get to use it. :wink:

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...!!!!!!!nice...
i have hear many a phrase!
try this one....
"how can i change my ip address?"<them
"i told you a bunch of times, the router assigns you an ip address, and even if you changed it, it wouldnt do anything, because people outside cant see your ip address...they see our wan ip address, which if you change, the internet wont work. so you are going to have to figure out another way to piss people off in the cnn chat rooms."<me
or
"my computer wont turn on anymore"<them
"what did you do to it?"<me
"i didnt do anything, it just wont turn on since i installed...BLAH BLAH BLAH"<them
the list goes on forever!
lol!
"my computer is running slow"<them
"what is all this stuff you have running?"<me
"oh, that is the internet weather checker i clicked on, and that, oh, that is the chat thing, that, that is my personalized mouse pointer thingie, and that, that i dont know what that one is, blah blah blah, blah blah blah"<them
"hmm...."<me

sometimes i wonder...LOL

-DAvid