New details on Prescott 0.09m P4

eden

Champion
<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1019274490" target="_new">http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1019274490</A>

1MB Cache? Possible Yamhill technology using "similar" 64-bit x86 but NOT x86-64? Sounds odd to me...

Comments...

--
Thunderbirds in wintertime, Northwoods in summertime! :lol:

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Maybe w/ more L1 which the P4 has little to none might help of benchmarks. Uping that extremely fast Trace cache might be a key. 1mb L2 cache is always welcomed in my pc :p

You GeForce Ti4xxx is faster then my R8500 but my R8500 is the king of Aniso baby :cool:

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
more L1 cache to slam AMD to the ground! LOL!

btw, AMD is <A HREF="http://www.vanshardware.com/news/2002/04/020422_AMD_Executive_Files_Suit/020422_Amd_Executive_Files_Suit.htm" target="_new">racist</A>.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I have seemed to notice that Intel is getting a lot more "fans" nowadays. I remember when I first came here and everyone was "bashing" Intel to the ground, with a few notable exceptions.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
That's because Intel has a killer processor right now. The Northwood is an excellent extreme overclocker that provides excellent performance with the 512KB.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

eden

Champion
Well don't go to excellent just for added cache. Let's just put it: Northwood is a much improved CPU compared to Willy, but it still is far from comparable to Athlon's technology. But it does the best OCing ever, and that is a given.

--

eden

Champion
Yes I know, but adding the cache means they want to increase it no? Yeah I shouldn't have phrased it that way, I just couldn't find otherwise to change your claim of "excellent",lol!

--

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
I have read the source link chiptech
Nice by the way lot on information

This not not a inside info.
This look like they look at the patent and early prototype.So that what intel can put under the hood of presscott.If that all true Prescott will as big as Willimete

16 K L1 data
More X-trance-cache
New HT instruction
twin pump ALU twin pump FPU twin registery twin pump L1
body bias forwarding transitor if i remember well.
bigger faster L2
Not sure but also on moving ALU to 32 bit wide.

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie

FatBurger

Illustrious
They also did the shrink to .13 micron, don't forget.

but it still is far from comparable to Athlon's technology

You're right, IMO the P4 core is more advanced than the Athlon core.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

eden

Champion
Wooops, you misunderstood me here, I meant Athlon's core is more advanced in technology other than the speed ramping. I still can't find though, a way to counter AMD_Man's statement, so this statement will also flop down...
Let's just drop it before anything else!

--

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The problem is, the Northwood has the lead right now, so that justfies my "excellent performance" claim. However, the 2.4GHz P4 costs a fortune, but you can always get a 1.6A or 1.8A P4 an overclock it beyond the 2.4GHz P4 in performance. That's where I get the excellent performance from.

What annoys me is that there seem to be only two distinct groups here:

* those who bash AMD, and defend Intel
* those who defend AMD (the only person I've ever seen bash Intel is Willamette_sucks)

The problem is, as much as I think the Northwood is a great processor, at times I find that Fugger or AMDMeltdown's claims about AMD inferiority unjustified. This summer, I'm getting a new processor, whether it's AMD or Intel, it doesn't matter. I'm just going to the get the best available at the time. I'm getting tired of defending AMD all the time and being called a troll by Fugger. Does being neutral (in terms of preference), deny me the right to debate in favour of Intel or AMD? Just because I see something in a certain point of view, doesn't me I've lost my stance.

Ok, I'm blabbering, that's enough.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

G

Hello Melty, See you after work then?

Can you pick me up as usual?
Ta!

I am the MAN, the Man_Man!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Being neutral is by far the most difficult tack to take on this site. No matter what you say, you'll always have some trolls and/or troll-wannabes acting as though you just posted five pages of profanity. It gets especially bad though when you find yourself playing the role of devil's advocate simply because no one else will. (Or because no one else involved in the conversation/debate has the skill too.)

Personally, I think Intel and AMD have <i>both</i> made some bad choices, and the result of this is that neither company produces what I would call a 'great' chip. Currently, they only produce 'good' chips at best. However, Prescott and SledgeHammer (but not ClawHammer) hold the <i>possability</i> of being 'great' chips. Time will tell if they manage screw that up though.

<pre>Join PETT.(People for Equal Treatment of Trolls)
Trolls:Keeping bridges clean 'n safe.</pre><p>

eden

Champion
Ok for our friendship: yes.
But thermal wise and electrical consumption wise, AMD wins all the way. To engineer a low IPC chip and make it humongous compared to Athlon's die, and make it the worst heat consuming thing ever, is rather cheap engineering from Intel here.

--

FatBurger

Illustrious
Good point, I wasn't thinking about it from a power consumption point of view.
But don't forget the P4 has SSE2, better hardware data prefetch, thermal protection, etc.
Those are the things that make me say it's a more advanced core. I'm not talking about speed ramping at all, that has nothing to do with being "advanced" IMO (conversely, neither does IPC).

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

Dark_Archonis

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2002
To an engineer... is rather cheap engineering? Eden, it seems that you are purposely making bad comments about Intel. First off, the Northwood is SMALLER than the XP(although it's made using 0.13), and it's not the worst heat consuimng thing ever. You must have mistaken that for the Athlon XP; Northwood will stay cool as long as you don't overclock it too much. As Fatburger said, the Northwood has alot of advanced stuff which Athlon doesn't have (SSE2, hardware prefetch, etc). And don't forget, right now, 30% of the northwood core is not being used (for whatever reasons). I guess Intel "reserved" that space for Hyperthreading when they first released it. Intel did stated a few months ago that Hyperthreading will use existing P4 circuitry to work, which I assume is that 30% of "unused" circuitry.