Bad Encounters

Just had a bad encounter last night.

Hippogriff (CR2) did 36 points of damage in the first round of combat.
Claw/Claw/Bite all hit, including two crits vs. AC18.

Any other bad encounter/rough odds stories?

David

--
CaissaWas__SPAMHater__INTP@adelphia__ANTIV__.net without the block
88 answers Last reply

    David wrote:
    > Just had a bad encounter last night.
    >
    > Hippogriff (CR2) did 36 points of damage in the first round of combat.
    > Claw/Claw/Bite all hit, including two crits vs. AC18.
    >
    > Any other bad encounter/rough odds stories?

    All from my last campain...

    a single Su-Monster (Psi Handbook). Was an equal EL encounter. Took
    out the Ranger 1st round, almost took out the rest of the party as
    well, but they survived with all but the barbarian in negatives.

    Bebilith - the party didn't have any weapons that could overcome it's
    DR, regen etc. and they figured it out pretty quick, they managed to
    get away, but the barbarian died from the poison a minute later.
    Cleric kept delay poison preped after that.

    Hellcats 2 of them, they were lower EL than the PCs... Invisible,
    pounced on barbarian. He died to thier 1st set of attacks. Wizard
    nuked them from above until they ran away... unfortunately melting some
    of the barbarian's equipment. He was more p.o.ed about that than
    dying. Wizard preped glitterdust. They hunted them down after getting
    the barb raised, and took not a single point of damage. Wizard kept
    glitterdust preped after that.

    And then there was the CR 23 Green Dragon with CR 19 Orc
    Ranger/Beastrider and thier army of Orcs & Wyvernriders (only CR 5 so
    not really a challenge in comparison). The party decided to go after
    them. They were LV 17. Yes that's about +6 or 7 EL. I warned them
    through the NPC cleric that thier chances were miniscule... 1st round
    the wizard casts dominate monster - overcomes SR, and I roll 1 on the
    save for the dragon. Hey, dragon tears his rider up, the orc/wyvery
    army and is party pet.

    - Justisaur

    "David" <caissaintp@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > Just had a bad encounter last night.
    >
    > Hippogriff (CR2) did 36 points of damage in the first round of combat.
    > Claw/Claw/Bite all hit, including two crits vs. AC18.
    >
    > Any other bad encounter/rough odds stories?

    Last session, an earth elemental attacks, targets(randomly) the cleric.
    Critical hit, ~40 points of damage. A few rounds later, a few hits on both
    sides, he's at 1 hp(literally), sinks into the ground to attack a random
    party member for his final action. Random target, the cleric. Critical
    hit. ~50 points of damage. VERY dead cleric. She needs new armor, it was
    collapsed inwards from the power of the hit. I think they peeled her out
    with something purchased from Ron Popeil, but I'm not sure. Maybe the Ding
    King or something...

    --
    Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

    "Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > "David" <caissaintp@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >> Just had a bad encounter last night.
    >>
    >> Hippogriff (CR2) did 36 points of damage in the first round of combat.
    >> Claw/Claw/Bite all hit, including two crits vs. AC18.
    >>
    >> Any other bad encounter/rough odds stories?
    >
    > Last session, an earth elemental attacks, targets(randomly) the cleric.
    > Critical hit, ~40 points of damage. A few rounds later, a few hits on
    > both
    > sides, he's at 1 hp(literally), sinks into the ground to attack a random
    > party member for his final action. Random target, the cleric. Critical
    > hit. ~50 points of damage. VERY dead cleric. She needs new armor, it
    > was
    > collapsed inwards from the power of the hit. I think they peeled her out
    > with something purchased from Ron Popeil, but I'm not sure. Maybe the
    > Ding
    > King or something...

    What was the EL and APL on that? We were looking at an EL2 vs APL3 here..in
    other words, an "easy" encounter.

    David

    --

    > "Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Last session, an earth elemental attacks, targets(randomly) the cleric.
    >
    > What was the EL and APL on that? We were looking at an EL2 vs APL3
    here..in
    > other words, an "easy" encounter.

    Unfortunately, not a 3E player(we play 2E), but you can figure it out of you
    like. Five 7th level characters(a good mix) vs one 16HD Earth Elemental.
    They should have been able to handle it, but the thing got some extreme
    rolls. It was dead in 4 rounds, if memory serves, but not before it
    annihilated a PC by luck of the draw. To top it all off, it was a
    "wandering" elemental, so they didn't get any treasure. They were miffed to
    say the least.

    --

    T. Koivula wrote:
    > In news:d8rs8b$3fv$3@news3.bu.edu,
    > Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> typed:
    > > I have never seen that many natural 20s so close together,
    > > and his damage rolls were pretty impressive, too.
    >
    > The player just laughed, it was so surreal.

    TPK (2E), of about eight player characters of second level or so. good
    mix of fighters and clerics ( and maybe a thief, no wizard, iirc) vs.
    two, 2HD, war dogs.

    Rather comical, party of eight surrounding two dogs, and the two dogs
    savaging the party. They feasted well that night.

    A threw a Cr4 Giant Spider at 4 level 4 pcs and several npcs. The big
    ogre barbarian killed it with his first hit.
    Later the party, minus the npcs, comfront another of these spider.
    They proceed to roll so badly that two of the characters went to
    negative hp and the third was down to single digits. (the fouth was a
    MU, so wasn't mixing it with the spider). This was including the
    spider chomping on the summoned creatures instead ofthe pcs, so it
    could have been worse.

    Phil.

    Clawhound <none@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >The character died on the first action of the first encounter. Blah.

    Happened to me once. I had just joined a game that I was very
    keen on, since I knew everyone else and they all raved about
    it. I had a fifth level magic user with fair to middling
    hit points. I had just been introduced into the game and
    my mage was getting to know the other characters in their
    inn room, when we were ambushed. The first thing the baddies
    did was throw in a ball from a necklace of missiles. Wasn't
    all that powerful, but the DM rolled really good for damage
    and I tanked my save. I was below -10 and told the DM I
    was dead. He just looked at me for a second and said, "Okay,
    you're at -5," and kept going. Someone stabilized me and
    I had a blast in the game after that.

    Pete

    "Peter Meilinger" <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote in message
    > all that powerful, but the DM rolled really good for damage
    > and I tanked my save. I was below -10 and told the DM I
    > was dead. He just looked at me for a second and said, "Okay,
    > you're at -5," and kept going. Someone stabilized me and
    > I had a blast in the game after that.

    And people say fudging is wrong! ;)

    I took pity on our wizard character like that one time. The player wasn't
    there, he was running late, he had some family function to attend, but he
    would be there within a few hours, so he left the wizard in the charge of
    the player of the beefy fighter type. Not a bright idea, all things
    considered, because the beefy fighter type is used to just charging into
    combat, and not really worrying about getting hit. He didn't consider that
    the wizard might be a target worth hitting, so he just left him standing
    there in the middle of an ambush(the character's real player would have
    retreated VERY quickly to a safe distance). Anyways, because of this, the
    wizard SHOULD have died rather quickly, having been surrounded by dire
    wolves, attacking bandits and had a wizard blowing him up with fireballs,
    but I took pity on him. I gave the party ONE chance to save him. Our
    game, -10 is the brink of death, and you bleed out for 1 hp per round every
    round that you're under 0. So, I put him at -10 instead of -19 where he
    should have been, because the player wasn't there to do what he was supposed
    to(and what I knew he would do, which was to run). The rest of the combat
    was a struggle to keep the wizard alive more than to kill the opponents.

    --

    <alordofchaos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > TPK (2E), of about eight player characters of second level or so. good
    > mix of fighters and clerics ( and maybe a thief, no wizard, iirc) vs.
    > two, 2HD, war dogs.
    >
    > Rather comical, party of eight surrounding two dogs, and the two dogs
    > savaging the party. They feasted well that night.

    "It's a savage beast with HUUUGE pointy teeth!!"
    ....2 mins later...
    "RUN AWAYYYYYY!!! RUN AWAAYYYYYY!!"

    --
    Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

    In news:d8rs8b$3fv$3@news3.bu.edu,
    Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> typed:
    > I have never seen that many natural 20s so close together,
    > and his damage rolls were pretty impressive, too.

    The worst diceroll ever that I've seen was on a homemade system that had 3d6
    with 1 and 6 bringing rerolls, the 1 meaning a negative reroll. My friend
    threw three 1's followed by two sets of three 6's for a total score of
    about -20. The whole negative thing had been thought to come out at maybe
    a -2 or so every now and then. The player just laughed, it was so surreal.

    --
    T. Koivula

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 16:21:30 +0300, "T. Koivula" <plistat@hotmail.com>
    scribed into the ether:

    >In news:d8rs8b$3fv$3@news3.bu.edu,
    >Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> typed:
    >> I have never seen that many natural 20s so close together,
    >> and his damage rolls were pretty impressive, too.
    >
    >The worst diceroll ever that I've seen was on a homemade system that had 3d6
    >with 1 and 6 bringing rerolls, the 1 meaning a negative reroll. My friend
    >threw three 1's followed by two sets of three 6's for a total score of
    >about -20. The whole negative thing had been thought to come out at maybe
    >a -2 or so every now and then. The player just laughed, it was so surreal.

    Not strictly D&D, but in a game of Chainmail (new version, since
    replaced...*sigh*), I had 3 units in melee range with a single opponent.
    For 5 rounds, I rolled literally nothing but 1s and 2s. That was just
    embarrassing, really.

    alordofchaos@yahoo.com wrote:

    > TPK (2E), of about eight player characters of second level or so. good
    > mix of fighters and clerics ( and maybe a thief, no wizard, iirc) vs.
    > two, 2HD, war dogs.
    >
    > Rather comical, party of eight surrounding two dogs, and the two dogs
    > savaging the party. They feasted well that night.

    Heh. This reminded me of a tragic encounter in an old Top Secret game
    from eons ago. Two spies known for their love of animals trying to sneak
    into a warehouse guarded by dobermans. This game had several house rules
    including a hit location chart.

    One of the agents fumbled a sneaking roll and a pair of dobies came
    rushing in so out came the silenced pistols. Bang. A hit to ... the
    dog's front right paw. The other agent joined in and also hit the same
    dog ... in the front left paw.

    The second dog joined the fray and got in a good chomp before the
    players retaliated and, I kid you not, the agents managed to maim the
    second dog in the exact same way ... one paw hit and then another. The
    first dog took another hit, to a hind paw causing enough damage to drop
    it.

    It was all so sad and pathetic that we couldn't even laugh when a third
    dog joined in and got two paw hits before a merciful head shot. The
    fourth dog just yelped and ran away.

    The agents just sat crying over the mutilated dogs and lost the drive to
    continue the mission because they felt like such bastards. :(

    - Sheldon

    Sea Wasp wrote:
    > Symbol wrote:

    [Artemis]

    > I don't think Aphrodite or
    > Athena would turn a man to a stag and hunt him down with her dogs just
    > because the poor bugger happened across them bathing. Maybe.

    Actually, it was HIS own dogs that didn't recognize him.
    The VERY definition of a bad random encounter.
    "You see some ladies bathing in a forest pool. Oops, you're a stag.
    Oops, one of your dogs just critical hit yuo and ate your liver!"

    As for Athena and Aphrodite being nice, Athena turned a woman into a
    spider for claiming she's as good a weaver as the goddess and Aphrodite
    .... I can't remember anything for certain about her, but I'm sure she
    did some awful stuff too for the slightest offence.

    Silveraxe.

    On 17 Jun 2005 06:12:04 -0700, Silveraxe wrote:

    >... I can't remember anything for certain about her, but I'm sure she
    >did some awful stuff too for the slightest offence.

    I can't think of any offense, but - according to mythology, anyway (what
    little I've read and remembered) - she had an indirect (or maybe direct)
    hand in causing the war between Troy and Greece by "giving" Helen to
    what's-his-name. [Paris?]
    --
    auric underscore underscore at hotmail dot com
    *****

    Silveraxe wrote:
    > Actually, it was HIS own dogs that didn't recognize him.
    > The VERY definition of a bad random encounter.
    > "You see some ladies bathing in a forest pool. Oops, you're a stag.
    > Oops, one of your dogs just critical hit yuo and ate your liver!"

    Heh, heh...

    > and Aphrodite
    > ... I can't remember anything for certain about her, but I'm sure she
    > did some awful stuff too for the slightest offence.

    Aphrodite was played by Vanna White (whose previous acting careeer
    consisted of silently turning letters on the Wheel of Fortune game
    show) in a (USA) made for TV movie - that had to be at least as painful
    as watching your liver being eaten by a dog.

    David wrote:
    > Just had a bad encounter last night.
    >
    > Hippogriff (CR2) did 36 points of damage in the first round of combat.
    > Claw/Claw/Bite all hit, including two crits vs. AC18.
    >
    > Any other bad encounter/rough odds stories?
    >
    > David

    Does this count?

    Our group was fighting trolls and winning, then the chieftain came out.
    I knew he'd be tougher, but not higher CR than the average party level
    (that's how our DM works). So it was CR8 and I figured it would have
    higher strength, better AC, and more hp...big deal. I was a dwarf
    barbarian with an AC over 25 against trolls (they are giant class).

    I was wounded fighting the regular trolls so backed out to the cleric,
    who healed me to about 75% and then I charged into the troll, raging.
    Rolled a 1, so I didn't even hurt it on my turn. On his turn, the troll
    hit: claw, crit claw, bite, rend, rend. I went from 60hp to -37hp.

    *BAM*

    Cleric did a cure serious wounds and someone else dumped a potion down
    my throat (we don't die until we finish a round at death's door) so I
    lived, but I was onconscious and missed the fight. The party barely
    survived.

    Alex

    Silveraxe wrote:
    > Sea Wasp wrote:
    > > Symbol wrote:
    >
    > [Artemis]

    > > I don't think Aphrodite or
    > > Athena would turn a man to a stag and hunt him down with her dogs just
    > > because the poor bugger happened across them bathing. Maybe.
    >
    > Actually, it was HIS own dogs that didn't recognize him.
    > The VERY definition of a bad random encounter.
    > "You see some ladies bathing in a forest pool. Oops, you're a stag.
    > Oops, one of your dogs just critical hit yuo and ate your liver!"
    >
    > As for Athena and Aphrodite being nice, Athena turned a woman into a
    > spider for claiming she's as good a weaver as the goddess and Aphrodite
    > ... I can't remember anything for certain about her, but I'm sure she
    > did some awful stuff too for the slightest offence.

    Has *NO ONE* SEEN Clash of the Titans?!?!

    She turned a woman who was getting married into The Medusa because her
    husband to be claimed she was more beautiful than the statue of the
    goddess. Now if that isn't just plain mean and unfair I don't know
    what is.

    Serves the lot of them right for not being worshiped any more.

    - Justisaur

    In article <Lpese.32$PR.234@mencken.net.nih.gov>, none@nowhere.com
    says...

    > The character died on the first action of the first encounter. Blah.

    IMC, a new player recently joined and made an erinyes Ftr2 (the other
    PCs are rather more normal, but they're all ECL 18th or so).

    First fight she was in, they got hit for 20d6 by a huge lightning bolt
    from a magical weapon emplacement. She not only manged to fail her Ref
    save for half (which was set pretty high, admittedly), but also failed
    the massive damage save and died.

    Later in the same campaign, the party had just defeated a pretty nasty
    opponent, a swordschyk succubus bard/blackguard (whose stats I've posted
    here, I think), but the paladin got killed in the process. So they raise
    him (IIRC, they gated a solar and had him true resurrect the paladin),
    and he goes straight to the three doors across the room and the four
    statues apparently "guarding" them... and the statues each let out a
    wail of the banshee. And the paladin rolls a 1 on his 2nd save, winning
    the Least Time Between Deaths Award.

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr

    Silveraxe wrote:

    > Sea Wasp wrote:
    >
    >>Symbol wrote:
    >

    > [Artemis]

    >>I don't think Aphrodite or
    >>Athena would turn a man to a stag and hunt him down with her dogs just
    >>because the poor bugger happened across them bathing. Maybe.
    >

    > Actually, it was HIS own dogs that didn't recognize him.
    > The VERY definition of a bad random encounter.
    > "You see some ladies bathing in a forest pool. Oops, you're a stag.
    > Oops, one of your dogs just critical hit yuo and ate your liver!"
    >
    > As for Athena and Aphrodite being nice, Athena turned a woman into a
    > spider for claiming she's as good a weaver as the goddess

    No, Athena challenged Arachnae to a contest and turned her into a
    spider mainly because while she was skillful she also chose -- during
    the contest -- to mock the gods in her tapestry. The punishment may
    have been extreme, but that was Darwin-award level stupidity anyway.

    --
    Sea Wasp
    /^\

    Justisaur wrote:
    > Has *NO ONE* SEEN Clash of the Titans?!?!

    No one who has seen Harry Hamlin try to act :)

    Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr> wrote:

    > ... winning the Least Time Between Deaths Award.

    We had a session where we were attacked by wargs and frost
    giants while we were camped during a nasty storm. Michael's
    character died very early on in the fight. He was okay with
    that, and he already had another character rolled up that he'd
    been planning on introducing soon anyway. So the DM lets him
    bring the character in right away, he'd been camped nearby
    and heard the ruckus. Unlikely, but it means Michael doesn't
    sit twiddling his thumbs during what was shaping up to be a
    long, long combat.

    So Michael's new character comes charging into the fray,
    but before he can get within sight of us he's critted
    and killed by a giant. Michael's a bit annoyed at this
    point, but no big deal. He spends the next several minutes
    speed-creating a character while we're still trying to
    beat these damned wargs and giants. When he's done with
    his character, the DM says sure, he was camped with the
    last guy and started to get worried about him. So Michael
    brings him charging into the fray.

    Only to, you guessed it, get him killed pretty quickly.
    The dice were not kind to Michael that night. It was
    pretty fun after we finally won the battle, though.
    We were wandering around cleaning up and we come across
    these two dead humans.

    "Who the hell are these idiots?"

    "Dunno, but let's take their stuff."

    Pete

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:18:02 -0400, "Jeff Goslin"
    <autockr@comcast.net> carved upon a tablet of ether:

    > > Is she called, or does she call her characters, Artemis? :)
    >
    > Nope. I don't understand the reference(except maybe for that Wild Wild West
    > movie, which i highly doubt). I assume some literary character that I
    > should be familiar with but am not... ???

    Greek goddess. Some New Agey types seem to think she this this
    protectoress of the wilds, and of cute furry animals from hunting.
    Actually she was a huntress herself, and if she did some guy in for
    hunting it'd be because they hadn't asked nicely first.

    --
    Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
    should be free."

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:43:56 +1200, Rupert Boleyn
    <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz> dared speak in front of ME:

    >On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:18:02 -0400, "Jeff Goslin"
    ><autockr@comcast.net> carved upon a tablet of ether:
    >
    >> > Is she called, or does she call her characters, Artemis? :)
    >>
    >> Nope. I don't understand the reference(except maybe for that Wild Wild West
    >> movie, which i highly doubt). I assume some literary character that I
    >> should be familiar with but am not... ???
    >
    >Greek goddess. Some New Agey types seem to think she this this
    >protectoress of the wilds, and of cute furry animals from hunting.
    > Actually she was a huntress herself, and if she did some guy in for
    >hunting it'd be because they hadn't asked nicely first.

    Still, doesn't hold a candle to the true Goddess.
    You know her name. Destroyed a city with an apple.

    --
    Address no longer works.
    try removing all numbers from

    "Kaos" <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:43:56 +1200, Rupert Boleyn
    > <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz> dared speak in front of ME:
    >
    > >On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:18:02 -0400, "Jeff Goslin"
    > ><autockr@comcast.net> carved upon a tablet of ether:

    > >> Nope. I don't understand the reference(except maybe for that Wild
    Wild West
    > >> movie, which i highly doubt). I assume some literary character that
    > >> should be familiar with but am not... ???
    > >
    > >Greek goddess. Some New Agey types seem to think she this this
    > >protectoress of the wilds, and of cute furry animals from hunting.
    > > Actually she was a huntress herself, and if she did some guy in for
    > >hunting it'd be because they hadn't asked nicely first.
    >
    > Still, doesn't hold a candle to the true Goddess.
    > You know her name. Destroyed a city with an apple.

    Granny Smith?

    Symbol wrote:
    > "Kaos" <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:43:56 +1200, Rupert Boleyn
    >><rboleyn@paradise.net.nz> dared speak in front of ME:
    >>

    >>>On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:18:02 -0400, "Jeff Goslin"
    >>><autockr@comcast.net> carved upon a tablet of ether:

    > Wild West

    >>>Greek goddess. Some New Agey types seem to think she this this
    >>>protectoress of the wilds, and of cute furry animals from hunting.
    >>>Actually she was a huntress herself, and if she did some guy in for
    >>>hunting it'd be because they hadn't asked nicely first.

    She of course would also do them in for any other minor offense.
    Artemis was a cast-iron b**ch -- not that most of the other Greek Gods
    were sweetness and light, either, but I don't think Aphrodite or
    Athena would turn a man to a stag and hunt him down with her dogs just
    because the poor bugger happened across them bathing. Maybe.

    >>Still, doesn't hold a candle to the true Goddess.
    >>You know her name. Destroyed a city with an apple.
    >

    > Granny Smith?

    Destroyed a city? That'd be Granny DOC Smith to you, boyo!

    --
    Sea Wasp
    /^\

    Christopher Adams wrote:
    > DougL wrote:
    > >
    > > Artemis Gordon is a character from the Wild Wild West TV show from
    > > the 60's, one of the better shows ever made.
    >
    > Artemus, actually.
    >
    > > I gather someone also made a movie.
    > >
    > > Based on reviews I had no urge to see it. Any director with any
    > > appreciation of the source material would have had Will Smith play
    > > Artemis rather than Jim West! How does a black get a Secret Service
    > > job in the 1870's? By being a master of disguise, how else?
    >
    > Actually, having seen the movie - he's an Army captain, not completely
    > implausaible in the context of the U.S. Civil War. The Secret Service is founded
    > at the end of the movie, with West and Gordon as its first two agents.

    There were only 80 black officers in the entire army, and most of them
    were surgeons IIRC.

    A black as one of the founding agents of the secret service just
    doesn't
    work in the historical US culture. Master of Disguise is vastly more
    likely. :)

    DougL

    Sea Wasp wrote:
    > Justisaur wrote:
    >

    > > Has *NO ONE* SEEN Clash of the Titans?!?!
    >
    > Many of us have.
    >
    > You are, alas, apparently not one of us, as the info below has almost
    > nothing to do with the movie.

    My memory doesn't seem to be that good anymore. Well, I should know
    better than to rely on it by now... but my memory isn't that good...
    Wait did, I just say that :)

    Guess I need to see this again. It's been a long long time.

    > > She turned a woman who was getting married into The Medusa because her
    > > husband to be claimed she was more beautiful than the statue of the
    > > goddess. Now if that isn't just plain mean and unfair I don't know
    > > what is.
    >
    > The Medusa was a monster. (born of Echidna, mother of most monsters
    > in the Greek Mythos)

    Don't know where you are getting that. Xena maybe? They were always
    throwing Echindna around. Certainly don't remember anything about her
    in the movie, or any myths.

    Well unable to find any scripts to verify my memory...

    Wiki has an entry for medusa, doesn't seem to match either of ours.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medusa_%28mythology%29 Says Athena turned
    her into the ugly type, although her sisters were already like that.

    Of course giving someone's wife to someone else as a bribe isn't too
    nice either. I'd be a bit p.o.ed if some goddes came down and said,
    "I'm taking your wife and giving her to this man over here as a bribe"
    having done nothing to the goddes in question before.

    - Justisaur

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 12:49:32 +0100, "Symbol" <jb70@talk21.com> dared
    speak in front of ME:

    >"Kaos" <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:43:56 +1200, Rupert Boleyn
    >> <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz> dared speak in front of ME:
    >>
    >> >On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:18:02 -0400, "Jeff Goslin"
    >> ><autockr@comcast.net> carved upon a tablet of ether:

    >Wild West
    >> >
    >> >Greek goddess. Some New Agey types seem to think she this this
    >> >protectoress of the wilds, and of cute furry animals from hunting.
    >> > Actually she was a huntress herself, and if she did some guy in for
    >> >hunting it'd be because they hadn't asked nicely first.
    >>
    >> Still, doesn't hold a candle to the true Goddess.
    >> You know her name. Destroyed a city with an apple.
    >
    >Granny Smith?

    Now I know you're just messing with me.

    --
    Address no longer works.
    try removing all numbers from
    gafgirl1@2allstream3.net

    On 17 Jun 2005 06:12:04 -0700, "Silveraxe" <avidroleplayer@yahoo.com>
    dared speak in front of ME:

    >Sea Wasp wrote:
    >> Symbol wrote:
    >
    >[Artemis]

    >> I don't think Aphrodite or
    >> Athena would turn a man to a stag and hunt him down with her dogs just
    >> because the poor bugger happened across them bathing. Maybe.
    >
    >Actually, it was HIS own dogs that didn't recognize him.
    >The VERY definition of a bad random encounter.
    >"You see some ladies bathing in a forest pool. Oops, you're a stag.
    >Oops, one of your dogs just critical hit yuo and ate your liver!"
    >
    >As for Athena and Aphrodite being nice, Athena turned a woman into a
    >spider for claiming she's as good a weaver as the goddess and Aphrodite
    >... I can't remember anything for certain about her, but I'm sure she
    >did some awful stuff too for the slightest offence.

    IIRC, Aphrodite made Medusa the woman she was.

    --
    Address no longer works.
    try removing all numbers from
    gafgirl1@2allstream3.net

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 06:40:36 -0700, Auric__
    <not.my.real@email.address> dared speak in front of ME:

    >On 17 Jun 2005 06:12:04 -0700, Silveraxe wrote:
    >
    >>... I can't remember anything for certain about her, but I'm sure she
    >>did some awful stuff too for the slightest offence.
    >
    >I can't think of any offense, but - according to mythology, anyway (what
    >little I've read and remembered) - she had an indirect (or maybe direct)
    >hand in causing the war between Troy and Greece by "giving" Helen to
    >what's-his-name. [Paris?]

    Indeed.
    But t'was my patron who started it all.
    "To the fairest."

    --

    On 17 Jun 2005 11:25:53 -0700, Justisaur wrote:

    >Has *NO ONE* SEEN Clash of the Titans?!?!

    Not since high school. What a ripoff - how many titans did they actually
    have in the movie? Any?
    --
    auric underscore underscore at hotmail dot com
    *****
    - It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings!
    - Well, I'd say she just hummed a few bars.

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:42:50 GMT, Sea Wasp wrote:

    >Athena was reasonably good in that one; she sent not one, but two
    >gifts to Perseus.

    I assume the owl was one, right? What was the other?
    --

    Jeff Goslin wrote:

    > Ever seen "A Fish Called Wanda"? This animal loving guy is trying to kill
    > this lady, but ends up killing her dogs instead(through a variety of
    > unlikely scenarios).

    "It's K-K-K-Ken and he's coming to k-k-k-kill me." :p

    The game was played well before that movie but, yeah, those
    dog-destroying scenes pretty much sums up the sentiment that night.

    - Sheldon

    Auric__ wrote:
    > Silveraxe wrote:
    >
    >> ... I can't remember anything for certain about her, but I'm sure she
    >> did some awful stuff too for the slightest offence.
    >
    > I can't think of any offense, but - according to mythology, anyway (what
    > little I've read and remembered) - she had an indirect (or maybe direct)
    > hand in causing the war between Troy and Greece by "giving" Helen to
    > what's-his-name. [Paris?]

    Yes. Eris (Discord) was not invited to a feast of the gods, and angrily
    responded by living up to her name. She showed up with a golden apple inscribed
    "For the fairest" and tossed it onto the table before all the gods. Naturally,
    all of the female deities (being shallow creatures) assumed it was for them.
    Eventually it came down to a choice between Hera, Athena, and Aphrodite. Zeus
    having a head on his shoulders that operated whenever his other head wasn't
    engaged, he refused to choose, and they asked Paris to make the choice.
    Accordingly, each goddess tempted Paris with the bounty of their portfolios -
    Hera promised him rulership and power, Athena promised him wisdom, but Aphrodite
    closed the deal in her favour by offering him the choicest piece of ass in
    history. Since he was about fifteen, the outcome was forseeable. ;)

    --
    Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
    What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you

    Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the
    leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked,
    and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to
    danger. It works the same in any country.

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 22:14:16 GMT, Christopher Adams wrote:

    >Auric__ wrote:
    >> Silveraxe wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... I can't remember anything for certain about her, but I'm sure she
    >>> did some awful stuff too for the slightest offence.
    >>
    >> I can't think of any offense, but - according to mythology, anyway (what
    >> little I've read and remembered) - she had an indirect (or maybe direct)
    >> hand in causing the war between Troy and Greece by "giving" Helen to
    >> what's-his-name. [Paris?]
    >
    >Yes. Eris (Discord) was not invited to a feast of the gods, and angrily
    >responded by living up to her name. She showed up with a golden apple inscribed
    >"For the fairest" and tossed it onto the table before all the gods. Naturally,
    >all of the female deities (being shallow creatures) assumed it was for them.
    >Eventually it came down to a choice between Hera, Athena, and Aphrodite. Zeus
    >having a head on his shoulders that operated whenever his other head wasn't
    >engaged, he refused to choose, and they asked Paris to make the choice.
    >Accordingly, each goddess tempted Paris with the bounty of their portfolios -
    >Hera promised him rulership and power, Athena promised him wisdom, but Aphrodite
    >closed the deal in her favour by offering him the choicest piece of ass in
    >history. Since he was about fifteen, the outcome was forseeable. ;)

    But Paris still had to practically kidnap Helen, didn't he? It's been
    quite a while since I read about it (over 20 years ago) but ISTR that
    Helen was married to the ruler (king, whatever) of Troy, yes?
    --
    auric underscore underscore at hotmail dot com
    *****
    Money is the root of all wealth.

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 22:14:16 GMT, "Christopher Adams"
    <mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid> dared speak in front of ME:

    >Auric__ wrote:
    >> Silveraxe wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... I can't remember anything for certain about her, but I'm sure she
    >>> did some awful stuff too for the slightest offence.
    >>
    >> I can't think of any offense, but - according to mythology, anyway (what
    >> little I've read and remembered) - she had an indirect (or maybe direct)
    >> hand in causing the war between Troy and Greece by "giving" Helen to
    >> what's-his-name. [Paris?]
    >
    >Yes. Eris (Discord) was not invited to a feast of the gods, and angrily
    >responded by living up to her name.

    Indeed :)
    And who can blame her?

    <glares angrily>

    --
    Address no longer works.
    try removing all numbers from
    gafgirl1@2allstream3.net

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:18:21 -0700, Auric__
    <not.my.real@email.address> dared speak in front of ME:

    >On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 22:14:16 GMT, Christopher Adams wrote:
    >
    >>Auric__ wrote:

    >>> I can't think of any offense, but - according to mythology, anyway (what
    >>> little I've read and remembered) - she had an indirect (or maybe direct)
    >>> hand in causing the war between Troy and Greece by "giving" Helen to
    >>> what's-his-name. [Paris?]
    >>
    >>Yes. Eris (Discord) was not invited to a feast of the gods, and angrily
    >>responded by living up to her name. She showed up with a golden apple inscribed
    >>"For the fairest" and tossed it onto the table before all the gods. Naturally,
    >>all of the female deities (being shallow creatures) assumed it was for them.
    >>Eventually it came down to a choice between Hera, Athena, and Aphrodite. Zeus
    >>having a head on his shoulders that operated whenever his other head wasn't
    >>engaged, he refused to choose, and they asked Paris to make the choice.
    >>Accordingly, each goddess tempted Paris with the bounty of their portfolios -
    >>Hera promised him rulership and power, Athena promised him wisdom, but Aphrodite
    >>closed the deal in her favour by offering him the choicest piece of ass in
    >>history. Since he was about fifteen, the outcome was forseeable. ;)
    >
    >But Paris still had to practically kidnap Helen, didn't he?

    Well, no. As per the bargain, she left willingly. He did have to
    sneak her out of the household, though, as her husband wasn't so
    willing.

    --

    DougL wrote:

    > Artemis Gordon is a character from the Wild Wild West TV show from
    > the 60's, one of the better shows ever made.

    Artemus, actually.

    > I gather someone also made a movie.
    >
    > Based on reviews I had no urge to see it. Any director with any
    > appreciation of the source material would have had Will Smith play
    > Artemis rather than Jim West! How does a black get a Secret Service
    > job in the 1870's? By being a master of disguise, how else?

    Actually, having seen the movie - he's an Army captain, not completely
    implausaible in the context of the U.S. Civil War. The Secret Service is founded
    at the end of the movie, with West and Gordon as its first two agents.

    --
    Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
    What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you
    understand?
    http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/prestigeclasslist.html
    http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/templatelist.html

    Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the
    leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked,
    and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to
    danger. It works the same in any country.

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 12:58:18 GMT, Sea Wasp
    <seawaspobvious@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote:

    > She of course would also do them in for any other minor offense.
    >Artemis was a cast-iron b**ch -- not that most of the other Greek Gods
    >were sweetness and light, either, but I don't think Aphrodite or
    >Athena would turn a man to a stag and hunt him down with her dogs just
    >because the poor bugger happened across them bathing. Maybe.

    The version of the story I've read didn't include anything about the
    hunter averting his eyes and begging for forgiveness. Athena might
    not hunt the ill-mannered oaf, but I'm guessing she'd turn him into
    something.

    DougL wrote:

    > A black as one of the founding agents of the secret service just
    > doesn't work in the historical US culture.

    Sure. Like "The Wild Wild West" was so very historical. I love that people
    object to a black guy being a Secret Service agent but not to an enormous
    steam-powered, fireball-shooting tarantula. ;)

    --

    Auric__ wrote:

    > But Paris still had to practically kidnap Helen, didn't he? It's been
    > quite a while since I read about it (over 20 years ago) but ISTR that
    > Helen was married to the ruler (king, whatever) of Troy, yes?

    Helen was married to Menelaus, king of Sparta. She went willingly with Paris,
    but Greek sexual politics being what they were this was still a "rape and
    abduction" scenario.

    Paris was a younger son of Priam, king of Troy.

    Contrary to, say, "Troy" with Orlando Bloom and Brad Pitt, the story actually
    goes that Helen returned to Sparta with Menelaus when Troy fell (eventually;
    there was an eight-year stopover in Egypt), only to be exiled when Menelaus
    died, persecuted, and eventually killed herself, after which she was deified.

    --
    Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
    What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you
    understand?
    http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/prestigeclasslist.html
    http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/templatelist.html

    Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the
    leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked,
    and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to
    danger. It works the same in any country.

    David <caissaintp@adelphia.net> wrote:
    >Any other bad encounter/rough odds stories?

    I was playing in a big (eight, maybe ten players) RttToEE game where
    things were set up that the players were wandering about with their
    own subplots and subgroups -- basically, the DM was running 2 or 3
    sessions a week as different groups of players did things.

    Anyhow, I'm playing a half-celestial gnoll paladin, and he's teamed up
    with a cleric of Boccob played by a guy by the name of Noah. We hear
    nasty stories about this town near Homlet and decide to check them
    out. As we get to the edge of the town, we're told to make Spot
    checks; we fail. A shadow partial-charges Noah's cleric, criticals,
    and does 11 points of strength. Noah's character only had an 8 strength.
    I'm also charged by a shadow, but it misses.

    So, initiative. I lose, the cleric rises as a shadow, and my character
    dies tripled teamed by shadows. Horrible TPK, leading to the catch
    phrase when a character dies: "hey, at least you got to roll initiative."

    --
    --DcB

    "Repent Auric__!" said the Ticktockman. "Get Stuffed!" Auric__ replied.
    Then he added:

    > But Paris still had to practically kidnap Helen, didn't he? It's been
    > quite a while since I read about it (over 20 years ago) but ISTR that
    > Helen was married to the ruler (king, whatever) of Troy, yes?

    Paris was the son of the King of Troy. Helen was the wife of the King of
    one of the Greek city-states.

    --
    Billy Yank

    Quinn: "I'm saying it's us, or them."
    Murphy: "Well I choose them."
    Q: "That's NOT an option!"
    M: "Then you shouldn't have framed it as one."
    -Sealab 2021

    Billy Yank's Baldur's Gate Photo Portraits
    http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2xvw6/

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 23:15:38 GMT, "Christopher Adams"
    <mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid> wrote:

    >DougL wrote:
    >>
    >> A black as one of the founding agents of the secret service just
    >> doesn't work in the historical US culture.
    >
    >Sure. Like "The Wild Wild West" was so very historical. I love that people
    >object to a black guy being a Secret Service agent but not to an enormous
    >steam-powered, fireball-shooting tarantula. ;)

    The steam powered tarantula is more plausible.

    Auric__ wrote:
    > Justisaur wrote:
    >
    >> Has *NO ONE* SEEN Clash of the Titans?!?!
    >
    > Not since high school. What a ripoff - how many titans did they actually
    > have in the movie? Any?

    No. The movie had a monster named "the Kraken" which was referred to as
    "the last of the Titans", but it wasn't among the Titans of Greek myth
    (Cronus, Hyperion and so on).

    Arivne
    No Titans were harmed in the creation of this post

    Jeff Goslin <autockr@comcast.net> wrote:
    > "David" <caissaintp@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >> "Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> > Last session, an earth elemental attacks, targets(randomly) the cleric.
    >>
    >> What was the EL and APL on that? We were looking at an EL2 vs APL3
    > here..in
    >> other words, an "easy" encounter.
    >
    > Unfortunately, not a 3E player(we play 2E), but you can figure it out
    > of you like. Five 7th level characters(a good mix) vs one 16HD Earth
    > Elemental. They should have been able to handle it, but the thing got
    > some extreme rolls. It was dead in 4 rounds, if memory serves, but
    > not before it annihilated a PC by luck of the draw. To top it all
    > off, it was a "wandering" elemental, so they didn't get any treasure.
    > They were miffed to say the least.

    According to RSRD, a 16HD earth elemental is CR7. Your party is about
    PL7.5 (four 7th-level characters are PL7, six characters would be PL8).
    In 3e land this should be a par encounter -- all else being equal, a
    rested party should be able to handle it fairly easily unless things go
    screwy.

    In 2e land, dunno what the balance is offhand. Old books not handy,
    etc.

    Keith

    alordofchaos@yahoo.com <alordofchaos@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > T. Koivula wrote:
    >> In news:d8rs8b$3fv$3@news3.bu.edu,
    >> Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> typed:
    >> > I have never seen that many natural 20s so close together,
    >> > and his damage rolls were pretty impressive, too.
    >>
    >> The player just laughed, it was so surreal.
    >
    > TPK (2E), of about eight player characters of second level or so. good
    > mix of fighters and clerics ( and maybe a thief, no wizard, iirc) vs.
    > two, 2HD, war dogs.
    >
    > Rather comical, party of eight surrounding two dogs, and the two dogs
    > savaging the party. They feasted well that night.

    Hey, war dogs were *tough* compared to low-level PCs. We had PC
    skimping on armor and weapons to buy dogs because they fought better
    than we did.

    Keith

    Sea Wasp <seawaspobvious@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote:
    > Silveraxe wrote:
    >>
    >> Sea Wasp wrote:
    >>
    >>>Symbol wrote:
    >>

    >> [Artemis]

    >>>I don't think Aphrodite or
    >>>Athena would turn a man to a stag and hunt him down with her dogs just
    >>>because the poor bugger happened across them bathing. Maybe.
    >>

    >> Actually, it was HIS own dogs that didn't recognize him.
    >> The VERY definition of a bad random encounter.
    >> "You see some ladies bathing in a forest pool. Oops, you're a stag.
    >> Oops, one of your dogs just critical hit yuo and ate your liver!"
    >>
    >> As for Athena and Aphrodite being nice, Athena turned a woman into a
    >> spider for claiming she's as good a weaver as the goddess
    >
    > No, Athena challenged Arachnae to a contest and turned her into a
    > spider mainly because while she was skillful she also chose -- during
    > the contest -- to mock the gods in her tapestry. The punishment may
    > have been extreme, but that was Darwin-award level stupidity anyway.

    ISTR another version where Arachne hanged herself (dismay at being
    defeated? shame for her hubris? I forget) and Athena reincarnated her
    as a spider on the spot, so she could continue weaving.

    I'm sure there are a bunch of versions of this story.

    Keith

    Justisaur <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Of course giving someone's wife to someone else as a bribe isn't too
    > nice either. I'd be a bit p.o.ed if some goddes came down and said,
    > "I'm taking your wife and giving her to this man over here as a bribe"
    > having done nothing to the goddes in question before.

    I dunno. There've been times when I might've welcomed it.

    "You want to *what*? Oh, thank go.. You."

    Keith

Games Video Games