Laptop

yones

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Hi, I have an Asus windows 7 laptop. About 2 weeks ago, when i shut down my computer, it asked me for an update, while it was updating, i put it in my sleeve thinking it would turn off in a few seconds (i found out after how this is bad) while i opened it up it asked to do a launch startup repair, this didnt work, i went over to best buy and they told me it was a software problem, and that everything would need to be wiped and to wipe it he told me to press f9 when i turn it on, i did that and now my desktop comes up but without all that google chrome and internet explorer stuff, and there is a window that comes up that is just black and nothing else (i was told this is the command prompt). If anyone knows how to fix this please help me. Thank you.

RealBeast

Titan
It really depends what type of default reset you did with F9. Of the three factory restore choices that came up after the F9, which did you select? Or did you just hit F9 and not select the reset option yet? If that is the case try the first reset option, which is the least destructive, and *should* only wipe your programs.

The person at BestBuy hopefully had the sense to explain that doing an F9 default reset would wipe all your data and programs, or all of your programs, depending on which type you selected.

Whichever you do, have the laptop plugged in and open during the entire process. You don't want it to run out of power during the process.

yones

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

Hi, when I pressed F9, there was only 1 option for me to choose and it was "Windows Setup [EMS Enabled] I chose this, and I waited for an hour with the same window that is just black inside and it is called "X:/windows/system32/cmd.exe" if you know of a way to help me I would really appreciate it.
Thank you

RealBeast

Titan
I would just do a clean installation instead of trying to restore to factory. Just download all the drivers from ASUS and also download a free full install disk trial from the MS online agent DIGITAL RIVER, burn it to a DVD or make a USB install stick with THIS MS TOOL and startup from the installer. Do a custom install and delete all existing partitions, then install to the single remaining unpartitioned space. Then install the chipset driver and other device drives, do the Windows updates and your programs. Have your laptop plugged into the charger for all of this.