Sign in with
Your question

Wiping Windows for Sale

Last response: in Windows 7
February 26, 2013 6:18:07 PM

Hello,

I am giving my desktop to my parents. I trust them to not download anything fishy but there may be some personal files/login credentials that I would not want to be taken by a virus or keylogger that the young ones who still live with them may download because they aren't quite familiar enough with the Internet to spot a bad site.

I know there are ways to wipe the hard drive FBI style using a nuke and wipe but I simply want to restore all Windows files to factory condition so any personal information or logins will not exist and my father can have a nice newer desktop to use.

My desktop did not come with a recovery disk (it's 64-bit OEM Windows 7) but I did use the Gateway Recovery Management program to create a "Factory Default Disc". Is it enough for me to just use that? If not what should I use and how do I do it?

More about : wiping windows sale

February 26, 2013 6:42:33 PM

"Factory Default Disc".......yes that will be sufficient
m
l
February 26, 2013 7:23:08 PM

After restoring to factory defualt I suggest using a disk wiping utility on the hard drives free space. Files can be recovered from empty space when files are "deleted". This process may be considered overkill since you are giving your computer to family, but caution can save tons of headaches. This article suggests some wiper program utilities.
m
l
February 26, 2013 7:30:55 PM

I'll probably use CCleaner's drive wiper. It has an option to use a number of passes. Thanks for the clarification. I only have passing knowledge of this stuff so it helps to ask the experts so I don't make a mistake and have my savings account compromised!
m
l
!