What will Really be the performance difference?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
When i upgrade my system... how much performance diff will i see with the following programs? given my system config.

before:
athlon C @ 1400 (10.5x133)
kt133a chipset + 256mb Cas2 sdram @ 133

after:
athlon C @ ~1410 (8.5x166)
kt333 chipset + 512mb PC2700 Cas2 DDR @ 333.

programs:
seti@home
United devices - cure for cancer
Serious Sam second edition @ GPU limiting resolutions
Xmpeg + divx5 encoding.

Despite appearances im not Phsysic. I may need your system specifications to solve your problem!

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
You will probably see a slight improvement (5-10%) in all of them since memory is a huge issue with this kind of proccessing. I would still recommend the upgrade because once you're there it is a relatively painless upgrade to a T-Bred 2200+ (or better) where you will see huge performance differences if you keep the FSB at 166MHz.

If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn't have thought so much.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
still going to keep my old athlon though for a number of reasons

1. moolah. i aint made from it, and i cant afford a spankey new XP or tbred, especially in Oz. maybe at the end of the year.

2. my athlon is factory unlocked, so ive never had to mess with multipliers

3. its freakin reliable and i know its overclocking behavior.

this is a much needed midlife upgrade. wanna see how far i can go with this cpu.

Despite appearances im not Phsysic. I may need your system specifications to solve your problem!

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
if you're happy with it...then stick with it...
just wondering....why'd you opt for the kt333 instead of the kt266A...if i remember correctly...the kt333 outperforms the kt266A just by a hair...why spend the extra $$ when you only get a couple of pts of performance increase?

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
~ especially in Oz ~

I have a solution for you...

Send your PC to me in New Zealand and your PC will then complete any task at least 2 hours sooner.

You can have my C433 which I will leave on NZ time so it will also seem faster to you.

<font color=blue> Smoke me a Chip'er ... I'll be back in the Morgan </font color=blue> :eek:

G

I will sell you my 1.4Ghz when I upgrade to a XP2800000000x a milion cpu ok. heh. Dunno why ya wanna stil play with that thing for?

<A HREF="http://www.herveybayqueensland.com/whalephotos.html" target="_new">My backyard </A>

eden

Champion
Hmm in my area the Asus A7V333 costs much less than the A7V 266-E with KT266A chipset, even though it's stronger. Both contain audio, but no Raid.

--
Thunderbirds in wintertime, Northwoods in summertime! :lol:

G

buy better Pentium 4 2.2 and u will see what is real power :))) joking...Well if you want see all power after you upgrade your system , u need to test you pc for example with sisoft sandra or winstone.I think your system after upgrade is faster 10-15%.....

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ahhh but thats half the beauty...
if i had a locked cpu i would stick to 266/266 fsb/ram...
but as its unlocked im going to run it at 333fsb and ram, to really unlock the performance benefits...

as an old sig of mine said

266/333 asynchronous fsb & mem = bad!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
think ill pass... high end pentiums have always gone for a exquisitely high price here, 2x US prices plus alot.
over $1000 AU typically.

and im planning on doing some "before and after" benchmarks to test out how good it really is.

im planning on running
1. a chunk of cure for cancer timed.
2. super pi to 1 million DP
3. 5 minute segment of divx
4. sandra mem benchies.
5. that mem latency proggy that matty or fatty was showing around in the RAM forum.

anything else?