davesdaman

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2002
I was hoping you guys could clear some stuff up for me about Pentium 4s, their motherboards, and RAM types. For starters, whets a “RIMM” and why is it so great? What’s the difference between 600 and 800 speed RIMMs? Does the AMD XP beat the P4? In general concerning all RAM types and motherboards, which is the best processor to get?

FatBurger

Illustrious
For starters, whets a “RIMM”

RIMM stands for Rambus Inline Memory Module, it's simply the form factor for RDRAM.

why is it so great?

The RIMM is simply the type of package, RDRAM is the technology. In the dual-channel configuration used by the i850 chipset, it offers the most memory bandwidth on the market. The downside is that it has higher latency (the pause before the data gets from the RAM to the CPU), but this is lessened by the dual-channel architecture, as well as the great hardware data prefetch used by the P4 (which predicts what information it will need from the RAM and gets it before it actually needs it).

What’s the difference between 600 and 800 speed RIMMs?

Exactly that, one runs at 600MHz, one runs at 800MHz. You'll want PC800 (800MHz).

Does the AMD XP beat the P4?

Please ask a simpler question, like "What's the meaning of life?" :tongue:
In which way do you mean? Raw performance, performance for the price, striking good looks?

In general concerning all RAM types and motherboards, which is the best processor to get?

If you are an overclocker or money is no object, the P4 is usually the best bet. If you're someone who wants the best performance for the price at stock speeds (not overclocked), then the Athlon is usually the best bet.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

davesdaman

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2002
thanx for your help. I am leaning towards the AMD XP CPU and im not going to overclock. Im on a fairly limited budget and Im probably just going to use the comp for playing intense games (quake 3, max payne, ect.) and watching DVDs. Which CPU would you get?

FatBurger

Illustrious
I have a P4, but in your situation, I would get an XP. What's your budget?

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
I have a P4, but in your situation, I would get an XP
i second that....just incase you needed a second opnion...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I third that, in case you need a third opinion. On average, Athlon XP CPU and mobo 'sets' are quite a bit cheaper than a comparable P4 CPU and mobo, with no o/cing. Since you aren't, go for the XP1700+ for $96US on newegg.com and then get a mobo with the VIA KT266A for anywhere from $65 for an entry level mobo to ~$130 for high-end stuff. Go <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com" target="_new">here</A> for some prices or <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new">here.</A>

TRENDING THREADS