AMD's marketing weapon?

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
I was reading some posts about the real benefit from having a 64 bit CPU, you know, the "hammers". Since Intel use the "Mhz marketing" to catch uninformed people, AMD response was the new model number of their processors. Ok, I don't want a discuss about if it's fair or no but, what about if AMD says something like "hey man, 2Ghz+ by 64 bit! Really want 2.53Ghz with just 32?"

What I am trying to say is that maybe another factor could play in the marketing field. Again, probably this will be half-lying, but in the past we have seen how many tricks have played both companies to convince uninformed costumers. Opinions?

FatBurger

Illustrious
I wouldn't be suprised if AMD took full advantage of having the first "64-bit" home computer processor.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

Harisahmed

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
It doesn't matter what new marketing tactic AMD uses, since Intel will counter with Yamhill. AMD might be able to take advantage of some bragging rights if they can get the Hammer out first, but that's about it unless their performance is really as impressive as everyone is hoping.

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
We all know that the Calculating the Model Number for Hammer will be different then Current XP processors. And AMD may try to mislead consumer by calculating Model Numbers using 64bit preformance when most of the application in the market will be 32bit.

KG

<b>"Hey! It compiles! Ship it!"</b>

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
You mean like the way Intel mislead consumers after first launching the P4 by performing benchmarks that were P4 optimized when most applications did not have the benefit of SSE2?

I guess we can blame AMD for being copycats in the consumer deceit department, neh? :p

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky