Sign in with
Your question

ITS OFFICIAL : Microsoft Supports AMD 'Opteron'

Last response: in CPUs
April 24, 2002 6:31:29 PM

Well if you haven't heard about it already Microsoft will releasing an x86-64 version of Windows XP. I am still waiting on confirmation of whether Microsoft will be releasing multiple versions of Windows XP 86-64 (Server, Workstation and Home Edition).

Oh and the official name of Sledgehammer is <b>Opteron</b>..<A HREF="http://www.e-insite.net/electronicnews/index.asp?layout..." target="_new">Source</A>

The official name of Clawhammer is yet to be disclosed but it will retain the 'Athlon' brand and will probably be named 'Athlon XP 64'....<A HREF="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/25013.html" target="_new">Source</A>

Personally I think the name <i>Opteron</i> is a bit lame but I guess we are just gonna have to live with it. I think AMD made the right choice sticking to the Athlon brand for its Clawhammer chip...but I personally will always refer to AMD's x86-64 CPUs by thier code names Claw and Sledge HAMMER. :smile:

<font color=purple>Ladies and Gentlemen, its...Hammer Time !</font color=purple>
April 24, 2002 6:39:21 PM

Ewwww...

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
April 24, 2002 6:46:41 PM

Can you say Opteron ?!! OP-TE-RON...OP-TER-ON...nah it still sounds lame ! :frown:

Why couldn't they just stick with Hammer ?!

<font color=purple>Ladies and Gentlemen, its...Hammer Time !</font color=purple>
Related resources
April 24, 2002 6:48:43 PM

Because "AMD marketing" is an oxymoron.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
April 24, 2002 6:51:51 PM

I think 4:30PM will make it official.

<A HREF="http://www.theregus.com/content/3/24757.html" target="_new">Another source</A>

But I like this quote from sanders.

"And in written testimony to the court, Sanders quotes from AMD's annual report: "If we fail to retain the support and certifications of Microsoft, our ability to market our processors could be materially adversely affected." "

Ok, this is recent testimony too. The way that is worded it sounds like MS is not in the bag.

We all agree that without MS support the Hammer will be hurting. It also seems AMD has banked a lot of money on getting MS support.

A few more hours and we will know for sure.

Opteron... wouldnt be my first choice of names. sounds like direct competition for celeron or replacement for duron.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.
April 24, 2002 6:55:45 PM

Opteron is the Server version...I guess most enthusiasts will be refering to the desktop chip as Athlon-(XP)-64....for real techies I think the 'Hammer' name will never die.

April 24, 2002 7:02:25 PM

I think in the Q&A after the event someone should really mention to AMD that EVRYONE likes the "Hammer" as a name. and NOT opteron or whatever.

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled
April 24, 2002 7:07:02 PM

Of course not. After all, people still use Thunderbird and Palomino.

April 24, 2002 7:21:07 PM

it's kind of strange that AMD's code names are better than the official names.

I'm not biased, but I like all of Intel's official names
April 24, 2002 7:27:02 PM

Northwood isn't such a bad code name too - I wonder if its a river like willi (in oregon) and Banias (in Israel).

Hammer is no horse though.

April 24, 2002 7:27:52 PM

Seen Raystonn about lately ?...he said he wont believe that Microsoft will be supporting x86-64 until he hears an official announcement from them.

Well..I guess we will find out in a few hours if he beomes a believer ....(but hangon AMD will be making the announcement not Microsoft so I guess he still will be little skeptical).

Even <A HREF="http://news.com.com/2100-1001-890698.html" target="_new">CNET</A> have starting reporting the story.

April 24, 2002 7:31:22 PM

Nope. Tualatin is a suburb of Portland too, but I don't know where Northwood came from.

April 24, 2002 7:46:35 PM

Quote:
I'm not biased, but I like all of Intel's official names

You mean all two of them? Unless you want to count Pentium, Pentium II, Pentium III, and Pentium 4 as separate names. But basically it's Pentium and Itanic ... er, Itanium. They tried to copyright the "486" designation, but found out that you can't copyright a number.

<i>Money talks. Mine always likes to say "goodbye." :smile: </i>
April 24, 2002 7:51:28 PM

3, you forgot Xeon.

April 24, 2002 7:51:33 PM

dont forget Xeon and Celeron... thats 4. thats more then AMD.

April 24, 2002 8:04:55 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Celery and Xeon. I've tried to ignore the Celery since it came out, that's probably why. Xeon is a cool name, though.

<i>Money talks. Mine always likes to say "goodbye." :smile: </i>
April 24, 2002 8:28:45 PM

Actualy, there was some issue about any CPU name that was X86 (286, 386, 486, ect) being copywrited already by someone else. Intel had agreed in some contract to do them up to 486, but they decided to name the new chip the Pentium instead of the 486, claiming it would be result in new and origional names for each subsequent CPU, as well as dodging having to pay royalties for the 586 name to someone else.

Most people thought the next gen CPU would be called the Hexium, then Septium, then Octium, ect... unfortunately, Intell went even more generic with Pentium Pro and then Pentium II.

I don't have any sources to verify this, I just remember a long discusion about it with my father over several days. He was a high end VP in technologies at the time (ANSI C++ Standards commity, Senior VP of Technologies for one of the largest banks in the country, ect).

The Windows Gods demand money to appease the BSOD! - Rev. Bill Gates
April 24, 2002 8:30:45 PM

How about the Northwoods of OR? :wink:

April 24, 2002 8:35:08 PM

Opteron has got the be the gayest name I have ever heard. I want to know who is the MORON that came up with that name. THen we form a line and take turns beating the CRAP out of him.
Ive read the other names AMD has patented.. they ALL SUCK!

AMD - you have finally disapponited me.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.
April 24, 2002 8:40:09 PM

Yep, its official ! I've just heard the live webcast...and we are gonna see a Dual Opteron demo running a development version of WinXP x86-64 tommorrow!

April 24, 2002 9:01:19 PM

Opteron is a variation of Optimus "the best" also derived from optimum.

MS support was the official announce, even tho they spoke about it and could not confirm anything yet.

The big annouce was the Opteron and the new Athlon.

April 24, 2002 9:13:38 PM

Yeah AMD have basically announced they have signed a contract with MS to develop an x86-64 version of WinXP.

They will be demoing an Alpha/Beta verion of the OS tommorrow on a Dual Sledgehammer.

April 24, 2002 9:17:13 PM

The actuall announce today was for Opteron and new Athlon. Not MS support. Please listen to the Q&A at the end.

April 24, 2002 9:17:56 PM

Where will this demo be? link to info please.

April 24, 2002 9:24:19 PM

Weren't you listening to the webcast ? Well here's a quote from extremetech.com

<font color=blue><i>At AMD's shareholder meeting tomorrow in New York, AMD will demonstrate a two-way Opteron system running on a development version of a .NET server platfrom ported to 64-bit Windows OS from Microsoft as well as a 32-bit version of Windows XP.</i></font color=blue>

<A HREF="http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,s=201&a=25877..." target="_new">Source</A>

April 24, 2002 9:29:22 PM

Fugger - give it up. Im not on crack, I know what i heard. They have an agreement with MS to co-develop an OS (of some kind).
The demo tommorow, like the quote said, is a ported version of an existing OS. Not anything new. But the announcement was made. Llisten close to the EXACT questions. They didnt ask "is MS going to support hammer" they asked very specific stuff. The specifics is what they wouldnt comment on.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.
April 24, 2002 9:41:59 PM

The FUD continues.
I suppose when they demo the developmental MS X86-64 Windows tomorrow on the Hammer you will try to tell us it is a fake!
Give it up. Get a life.

<font color=green>"No Thoroughbred for you! Come back, 2 weeks."</font color=green>
April 24, 2002 9:43:43 PM

LoL, man, I have never seen anyone so muleheaded and stubborn in all my life!

amd has ms support fugger, live with it.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
April 24, 2002 9:44:47 PM

I agree that the name is stupid, but read THG article on it. After reading the article, it feels like it was written by a AMD PR person. I understand it is happy time and all, but it was over done. My $.02

If you can find it on the internet, it HAS to be true! :smile:
April 24, 2002 9:49:50 PM

Weren't you listening fugger?

Announcement 1: Hammer will be called Opteron or Athlon depending on whether it is Multi or single proc version.

Announcement 2: AMD and MS are co-announcing their longstanding signed agreement to develop Windows for x86-64. AMD is announcing a demonstration of x86-64 ported Windows.NET server on a 2 proc Hammer (no mention of Sledge or Claw) server.

Fugger, if you had been listening (instead of taking notes about every little thing that could have been construed to mean that there is no MS support for x86-64), you would have heard that the call will be available for future listenning at AMD's website and via 1-800 toll-free phone.

If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn't have thought so much.
April 24, 2002 9:57:03 PM

Thats almost the same thing on AMD site now.

<A HREF="http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,..." target="_new">This was put up a few minutes ago</A>

"In another key milestone, AMD announced today it is collaborating with Microsoft to incorporate 64-bit support for the future 8th-generation AMD Athlon and AMD Opteron processors into the Windows® operating system. AMD Opteron processors are also planned to be supported by 64-bit operating systems from major Linux vendors."

Picking words carefully, "collaborating with Microsoft to incorporate" no firm "MS will be developing..."

Ok, I agree they announced MS collaborating before. we all knew this from the start as without MS they have nothing.

I would have expected to see "license agreements" or "signed contracts"

I read this from my point of view, you will read it another way. I read between the lines and you might take everything at face value.

Maybe AMD could have worded it better or it is like I see it. They are just collaborating at this point on x86-64 support. I feel that AMD worded it this way so that it would seem MS was in their pocket already.

No reason to flame me, I heard the broadcast, I picked up on AMD evading any MS question directly.

We need a transcript of what was said, any ideas?

April 24, 2002 9:58:32 PM

Obviosly you were not listening.

April 24, 2002 9:59:49 PM

Quote:
Obviosly you were not listening.

Run along fugger, your fud was disproven, dont cling to it any more, you only look worse.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
April 24, 2002 10:06:35 PM

You obviously weren't "listening" Fugger (and your mommy dresses you funny too).

The only MS related questions that AMD evaded were questions about the specific names and release dates of MS products with x86-64 support. This they plan to announce later in a separate press conference. When pressed they even stated that the server version was based on Windows.NET server.

Stop licking between Intel's lines.

If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn't have thought so much.
April 24, 2002 10:24:49 PM

Hey fugger, was it you who always used the term "grasping at straws"? Maybe it was "splitting hairs". Hmm...can't remember.

April 24, 2002 10:29:31 PM

Everyone <i>but</i> you was listening, it seems. Or maybe you listened too, but you just don't want to believe. Same thing with AMD760MP, and "T-birds can't do SMP," and what happened? 760MP was released, it was rock-solid, T-birds worked in SMP, and both 760MP and Athlon crushed the Xeon in benchmarks. It seems every pro-AMD rumor you try so hard to pick apart turns out to be true... :tongue:

Hammer will have a 64-bit Windows OS. Accept it and move on with your life.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?
April 24, 2002 10:32:58 PM

Fatburger, I think Fugger's little mind just can't perceive MS supporting Hammer...

Like his sig says, "You are limited to what your mind can perceive."

April 24, 2002 10:39:24 PM

Why would MS not support AMD? They're increasing in market share by the day and are becoming an increasing competitive company. Denying the fact that AMD is a major competitor in the PC market is just plain ignorant.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:
April 24, 2002 10:41:26 PM

Tisk tisk tisk opteron or whatever. Sounds fruitylicious.

Sig of the week.
April 24, 2002 10:48:50 PM

Quote:
I would have expected to see "license agreements" or "signed contracts"

Actualy, AMD mentioned in the confrence that they had a contract with MS about the developement of 64-bit support and have had one for about 2 months.

April 24, 2002 11:00:41 PM

Splitting hairs indeed.

Grasping at straws was someone else. /shrug

Accoring to a post above we will see the official "MS supported x86-64 annouce" at a later seperate conference.

That explains all the side stepping of all MS related questions.

I went to Microsoft, for such "big news" MS has zippo. I will have to agree that the MS/AMD relationship has not fully developed.

Both parties have to say "I do" to make the marrage official.

Maybe Gates will be at the event tomorrow to make the relationship oficial. Lots of hype and not 1 word from MS period.

And no one picked at my spelling, you guys are slipping.

Anyone else care to search MS?

April 24, 2002 11:19:25 PM

Quote:
And no one picked at my spelling, you guys are slipping.

Sorry, want me to go back and correct it? :tongue:

Yeah, I see the part about Yamhill. Just AMD saying they think Intel is working on it, though. Nothing very interesting.

April 24, 2002 11:35:01 PM

The spell checkerer is slacking off?? Tisk tisk tisk. I'm so bad I'll spell the wrong: teh! Now whatcha gonna do?

Sig of the week.
April 25, 2002 12:46:12 AM

In case you guys are stumped about yamhill, go to that page search for yamhill. read a little and you will be hooked.

April 25, 2002 1:05:13 AM

I'm actually a little confused about this whole announcement. The only place that I've seen that even hints at Microsoft support is the after-the-fact amd page that fugger (of all people) linked. I know he did it to show how they were carefully NOT saying Microsoft was helping, but he was wrong. That page actually says:
Quote:
AMD announced today it is collaborating with Microsoft to incorporate 64-bit support for the future 8th-generation AMD Athlon and AMD Opteron processors into the Windows® operating system.

which is to me the closest ANY of this has come to saying Microsoft is building the new Windows to support Opteron, etc... However, the OTHER site linked here says:
Quote:
Microsoft representatives didn't sit in on the conference call, although both AMD and Microsoft issued a joint press release describing Microsoft's support. Neither AMD nor Microsoft described exactly how Microsoft would support the Opteron line.

At AMD's shareholder meeting tomorrow in New York, AMD will demonstrate a two-way Opteron system running on a development version of a .NET server platfrom ported to 64-bit Windows OS from Microsoft as well as a 32-bit version of Windows XP.

Now, what confuses me is that the first thing it says is that neither Microsoft nor AMD specified what kind of support Microsoft was planning. So, this ".NET server platform ported to 64 bit Windows OS from Microsft (not BY Microsoft, mind you. Am I wrong in thinking that AMD somehow ported the OS themselves for the demo?)" isn't the clear beginning of support from Microsoft? Is it just a demonstration by AMD to prove to Microsoft, maybe? Is that why Microsoft won't claim anything substantial? Are they waiting for a demonstration? Further, why is it, if this announcement was made (I wasn't able to listen. I'm writing my senior thesis right now. haha.) about Microsoft support, that neither THG, NOR Anandtech mentioned it? In fact, why is it that no one but this forum and the AMD site clearly states it? I'm very confused. Oh, and yes, I think the THG article was ridiculous. "Latin is Cool and AMD is smart"?! you've gotta be kidding me. "Yeah, kids. Don't use GREEK to name things, god no." What the-?!

<b>Studies have shown that most people prefer the taste of AMD to the taste of Intel</b>
April 25, 2002 1:09:00 AM

We went to the page, we searched for yamhill. We noticed various dialog about which technology MS was supposed to support first. How exactly is this supposed to get us hooked on Yamhill?

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?
April 25, 2002 1:19:37 AM

Beats me.
Fugger is acting like Raystonn, not wanting to beleive anything by AMD until real official proof. Well soon both will learn we were right, and that AMD IS SUCCEEDING once and for all, independently of Intel.

--
Thunderbirds in wintertime, Northwoods in summertime! :lol: 
April 25, 2002 3:46:22 AM

Kelledin, did you even read it? I didnt think so.

Search for yamhill, thats where it gets good. It talks about MS confirming x86-64 as an OS and if Intel should get first dibs on announce of the technology.

Yamhill is the rumored to be the Intel x86-64 product or did you already forget?

MS has said nothing about this joint venture, and you would think MS would be proud to announce such a venture.

It may come tomorrow. currently MS has not published anything to confirm such support.

!