Sign in with
Your question

Give "Hammer" a NEW name!

Last response: in CPUs
April 25, 2002 12:59:46 AM

Well "Opteron"... It's official new name for the Hammer... and nobody likes it (at least for now). So I would like to read some sugestions from you guys.

AMD user!
YES!!! Former Intel user.

More about : give hammer

April 25, 2002 2:09:51 AM

I like this game.

How about "Athlon Dilerium"

or "Detrithon"

or "Insanipu"...tis a silly one >blush, wink<

Or Quadrathon...on, no...I let the cat out of the bag...that's their codename for the new Nasa SC.

If I don't get my 90THz AMD Quadraplex system soon, I'm afraid I may just combust right here.
April 25, 2002 2:32:55 AM

It sounds okay but Xeon sounds cooler :cool:

You GeForce Ti4xxx is faster then my R8500 but my R8500 is the king of Aniso baby :cool:
Related resources
April 25, 2002 2:56:03 AM

"Opteron" ill grow on people. The Duron was slammed hard and most people dont care anymore. Save with Pentium, I hated that when it first came out but its so old and worn I dont even think about it.....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
April 25, 2002 5:18:54 AM

I think opteron is really retarded. But like the man said, it will probably grow on people. There was trademark patents filed a while back by AMD. Opteron was one of them. There were other equally gay names filed for as well. I think they can be found on the register.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.
April 25, 2002 3:50:57 PM

I personally prefer Chimera. :) 

<pre>Join PETT.(People for Equal Treatment of Trolls)
Trolls:Keeping bridges clean 'n safe.</pre><p>
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2002 4:09:24 PM

Why is it that all AMD's names have to ryme with "moron", what kind of people work in their marketing department anyway? Never mind, I think I just answered my own question.

Well, then how about Celeron, ooops, that's taken. Wait, isn't it supposed to have 3 levels of cache? How about Triathlon?

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
April 25, 2002 4:21:19 PM

Quote:
How about Triathlon?

They thought of that, but the chip can't opperate while submerged, so they nixed that idea.

The Windows Gods demand money to appease the BSOD! - Rev. Bill Gates
April 25, 2002 4:26:58 PM

but opteron wont be the processor we all use, most people will use the 64 bit athlon wont they?

I need a 1.5 Ghz Athlon + 512mb ddr ram to write emails......honestly
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2002 4:41:43 PM

Extreme water cooling, lol.

April 25, 2002 5:02:42 PM

Was kinda hoping that they would use Metaron, another name that they trademarked, seeing as it sounds a whole lot better.

<font color=black>Need Money!! Accepting Donations to help better my future. Thanks!</font color=black>
April 25, 2002 5:28:39 PM

Opteron is just *okay*. The problem is that it doesn't flow that well. Pentium flows, Itanium flows, Celeron flows, Athlon flows, Duron kinda flows, but Opteron just doesn't seem to roll off the tongue as easy, so it doesn't sound as good. But, it's not that bad and will probably seem better with time. I still think they should have kept Hammer, but, I'm not a marketing exec. :p 

"Trying is the first step towards failure."
April 25, 2002 5:53:15 PM

I still say that naming the chip Chimera (after a powerful mythological hybrid monster) is a <i>lot</i> more suited for a power-house hybrid CPU that can run both 32-bit and 64-bit x86 code easily than Opteron is. Plus, you've got a perfect marketting graphic to use right there that will really stand out. (Imagine a 3D hologram sticker that comes with the CPU that has a wicked picture of a Chimera with the slogan 'Chimera Inside'. Who could resist <i>that</i>?)

<pre>Join PETT.(People for Equal Treatment of Trolls)
Trolls:Keeping bridges clean 'n safe.</pre><p>
April 25, 2002 8:12:12 PM

yeah, but anyone who has seen MI:2 will be scared of it...

(bb || !bb) - Shakespeare
April 25, 2002 8:13:00 PM

How about Oxymoron, it rhymes with Athlon, right.

KG

<b>"Hey! It compiles! Ship it!"</b>
April 25, 2002 8:18:42 PM

I like that name...maybe you'll just have to pitch the idea to intel. Better copyright that one before they snag it for free and take all the credit...or better yet, wait until it flies, and then you can throw in a profit-cut on the suit.

DIM POST, STUPID
POST = INPUT $X
STUPID = PEEK 420, 255
IF POST >= STUPID, THEN GOTO H3LL
April 25, 2002 11:31:31 PM

Think of the marketing for the Triathlon though.

You could... say... use a Gerble as your mascot (Ray from Blockbuster?), have him doing a triathlon... riding a bike, swimming, running... show how tough and determined and fast he is...

You could make a little hologram sticker with a gerble in a wheel for the "Triathlon Inside"

Or, maybe just call it a Gerble, just so when someone asks if you have a gerble in your server you can say "Yes"

The Windows Gods demand money to appease the BSOD! - Rev. Bill Gates
April 25, 2002 11:47:06 PM

Smackeron? (athlon on smack)
Turberon? (turbo charged athlon)
moron? (due to improved thermal protection it can now be safely used by these people LOL)

seems im full of it this morning. musta been the wheaties

Despite appearances im not Phsysic. I may need your system specifications to solve your problem!
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2002 2:24:29 AM

Quote:
Or, maybe just call it a Gerble, just so when someone asks if you have a gerble in your server you can say "Yes"

You wouldn't happen to be related to Jack Handy, would you?

April 26, 2002 2:34:36 AM

Chimera would be such a hot name! Man, I'd love it!

Sig of the week.
April 26, 2002 3:26:42 AM

Quote:
You wouldn't happen to be related to Jack Handy, would you?

You know what would be really cool? Instead of a trapdoor, a trapwindow. That way, if you leaned to far, you fell out. Wait...I guess that's like a normal window.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
April 26, 2002 3:48:24 PM

Quote:
You know what would be really cool? Instead of a trapdoor, a trapwindow. That way, if you leaned to far, you fell out. Wait...I guess that's like a normal window.

Oh my gosh so funny
if its in my "beastmachine" of a computer I'll just call it beotch. Then I can have a sticker that says "Beotch Inside" and if the computer was in the kitchen it'd just make even more sense.....beotch in the kitchen :smile: just needs to be barefoot and pregnent
ok ignore me please

If my response is brief and vague its because the info you provided is too!
April 26, 2002 3:54:45 PM

If I lived in the Old West, instead of a six shooter I think I'd carry a soldering iron. Then if people made fun of it, I'd say "This isn't any ordinary soldering iron, this is the Soldering Iron of Justice.". Then they'd feel bad, because they were making fun of the Soldering Iron of Justice, and they'd probably buy me a beer.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
April 26, 2002 5:25:15 PM

And if I lived in ancient Japan, I'd wear a rabbit on my head. Then every time someone came at me with a sword, I could just hold the cute fluffy bunny out and they'd feel so bad about slicing it in half that they wouldn't kill me after all. Then we could go out for saki and walk away as friends.

Then one day, I'd have so many friends that if anyone threatened my life, they'd have to answer to a thousand or so pissed-off Samurai and Ninja and they'd run screaming when I show them my rice scroll with the names of all of my friends on it. Then I could even get a good laugh out of it. :) 

Then one day I'd have so many friends that me, my bunny, and my friends would all overthrow the government and I'd become the next emperor and reign an era of bunny-peace with free saki for all who come to my palace.

And no, that isn't peyote in the locket around my neck. Honest. It's just peppermint. Really.

<font color=red>Bob knew he was screwed when he saw the label actually read 'Tactile Nuclear Device'.</font color=red>
April 26, 2002 6:12:48 PM

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? Well maybe, if they screamed all the time. For no reason.

April 26, 2002 6:31:56 PM

Just because we can't hear them doesn't mean that plants don't scream. There are plenty of sound frequencies that the human ear can't pick up. They do bleed after all, don't they? ;) 

<font color=red>Bob knew he was screwed when he saw the label actually read 'Tactile Nuclear Device'.</font color=red>
April 26, 2002 6:49:39 PM

I was on a roll, too. Thanks for breaking my stride :mad: 

April 26, 2002 7:38:18 PM

You were on a roll. Now you're on a bleeding screaming tree stump. Where will you be next?

April 26, 2002 7:52:39 PM

In bed with Jessica Alba, if everything goes as planned.

April 26, 2002 8:08:08 PM

A noble plan indeed. I could think of much worse plans. I prefer not to though. If you end up where you planned, will you be providing photographic-type evidence to convince the unbelieving?

April 26, 2002 8:56:50 PM

Absolutely.

The er...lighting might be poor, though. And if our faces don't quite look like they fit our bodies, that's because...we both tan poorly. Yeah, that's it.

a b à CPUs
April 26, 2002 11:05:02 PM

I think it would be bad to take a dog into space. After all, if he stuck his head out the window, his face would burn up!

April 26, 2002 11:21:08 PM

somewhere along the way i got lost... can somebody help me... there is trees falling all around me, but no sound! ... must be this crappy onboard c-media chip...

April 26, 2002 11:26:41 PM

lol
Forgot about that one. Let's see...

Kids really like to have jokes played on them. One time I told him I was going to take him to Disneyland. We drove way out into the country and stopped at an old burned down barn, and I said "Oops, looks like Disneyland burned down.", and then we drove home. He cried and cried, but inside I know he thought it was pretty funny.

April 26, 2002 11:30:50 PM

... i remember reading that somewhere, recently, maybe on another forum... nah...

a b à CPUs
April 26, 2002 11:36:24 PM

Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.

a b à CPUs
April 26, 2002 11:37:00 PM

I think a good gift for the president would be a chocolate revolver. And since he's so busy, you'd probably have to run up to him and hand it to him.

a b à CPUs
April 26, 2002 11:40:37 PM

A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite. Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone. "Hear that?" you say. "That's dynamite, baby."

a b à CPUs
April 26, 2002 11:40:49 PM

When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

April 26, 2002 11:42:30 PM

i have one question, who's kenneth?

April 26, 2002 11:45:56 PM

There used to be a woodpecker that lived outside my parent's bedroom window. It would peck day and night, all the time, just peck peck peck. One day, my dad killed himself.

When I was little, we had an uncle that we called Uncle Caveman. We called him that because he lived in a cave, and every once in a while, he'd eat one of us. Later I found out Uncle Caveman wasn't our uncle at all, he was a bear.

Maybe in order to understand mankind we have to look at that word itself. MANKIND. Basically, it's made up of two separate words "mank" and "ind." What do these words mean? It's a mystery and that's why so is mankind.

Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

I wish I would have a real tragic love affair and get so bummed out that I'd just quit my job and become a bum for a few years, because I was thinking about doing that anyway.

If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you.

During the Middle Ages, probably one of the biggest mistakes was not putting on your armor because you were "just going down to the corner."

If you're walking next to a lava flow and drop in your keys, just leave them cause man, they're gone.

April 26, 2002 11:47:44 PM

Kenneth is apparently Dan Rather's real name. (Or was it Tom Brokaw?)

a b à CPUs
April 26, 2002 11:53:30 PM

Dan Rather was the victim.

a b à CPUs
April 26, 2002 11:57:36 PM

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it

April 26, 2002 11:57:36 PM

Ah, ok. Want me to tell the story, or shall I?

^^ That's one of my favorites :lol: 

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FatBurger on 04/26/02 04:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 27, 2002 12:01:44 AM

"Rather was confronted about 11 p.m. while walking on Park Avenue. When he tried to walk away, he was punched from behind and knocked to the ground. The attacker then chased Rather into a building and kicked him several times in the back. [...]

"The mystery may be solved: Dan Rather has identified the man he says beat him up on the street in 1986 while demanding to know 'Kenneth, what is the frequency?' The CBS anchorman said his assailant was William Tager, now in prison for killing an NBC stagehand outside the Today show in 1994. Tager was convinced the media had him under surveillance and were beaming hostile messages to him, and he demanded that Rather tell him the frequency being used, according to a forensic psychiatrist who examined Tager after the NBC shooting. Rather was told by the psychiatrist, Dr. Park Dietz, that Tager was almost certainly his attacker. The anchorman identified Tager from pictures supplied by the New York Daily News. 'There's no doubt in my mind that this is the person,' Rather said."
--January 1997, Associated Press.

... this cleared things up for me...

a b à CPUs
April 27, 2002 12:12:47 AM

Yugo!

April 27, 2002 7:23:20 AM

Follow my logic here:

The bottom of the Hammer (especially sledge) is covered in pins. There was a midevial torture device that had a lot of pins in it. Called the Iron Maiden. Informally, it was known as 'the bitch'
So I propose we call the new Hammer - Bitch

It works in a lot of situations:
" Yeah i got my new bitch installed"
" I can get that damn bitch installed"
" My bitch is really fast"
" My bitch is broke, had to buy a new one"
" Man my bitch runs really cold"
" I overclocked my bitch, she really puts out now"
" Sit here, and try my new bitch out"

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.
April 27, 2002 8:33:10 AM

LMFAO!

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>
!