Range Expander

Last response: in Networking
January 2, 2005 4:24:26 PM

Hi- I have my base station upstairs at the front of my
rather long house. I've moved my main computer
downstairs and the signal I get always ranges from very
low to low. I was interested in getting a Linksys range
expander, but I was told by microsoft support that it
does not support this. They say the only solution is
connect another base station to the first base station
which would still result in cables running across my
floor.
Can anyone tell me what you've done to expand the range
of the base station? Thank you!

More about : range expander

January 2, 2005 4:55:18 PM

I have a linksys WAP54G access point at one end of my house
which wasn't being picked up too well by my Xbox wireless
adaptor at the other end of the house two floors up. I
picked up a linksys WRE54G range expander and installed it
roughly midway between the two. Check out the following URL:

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article90.php

I upgraded the firmware on both units and followed Tom's
guidelines, especially the hint about setting up a separate
SSID on the WRE, and the Xbox now shows a Good/Excellent
signal. I also have a wireless laptop (XP Media Edition)
that connects just fine to either the WAP or the WRE,
depending on which SSID I use. The WAP connects to a wired
network with a mixture of boxes running WinXP, ME, Linux,
Solaris and a cable highspeed connection to the outside
world. Everything talks. Cheers!

!