Reformatting A Dell 2400

Hello everybody,
I recently purchased a DELL 2400 from dell but have relized
that i have managed to let a virus get on to my computer. I have
tried finding the source of this but i was unable to, i do have Norton
but im sick of trying to eradicate it. I have come to the point where
i just want to completely reformat my pc, i wont be ereasing to much
important stuff so i think im gonna go through with it. I popped in
my windows xp pro disk, but my computer seems to boot up naturally
like it does when there is no cd, on my old computer when i put in my
xp cd it would say "press any key to boot from cd" on my dell it says
nothing. Is there someway i can do the whole reformat process with my
dell?
I would greatly appriciate any help

Go into the BIOS and make sure that the CD is the first boot option.

Make sure you have both your Dell XP CD AND the Dell resource CD that has
all the drivers.

Tom
"ATD293" <atdavis@covad-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Hello everybody,
> I recently purchased a DELL 2400 from dell but have relized
> that i have managed to let a virus get on to my computer. I have
> tried finding the source of this but i was unable to, i do have Norton
> but im sick of trying to eradicate it. I have come to the point where
> i just want to completely reformat my pc, i wont be ereasing to much
> important stuff so i think im gonna go through with it. I popped in
> my windows xp pro disk, but my computer seems to boot up naturally
> like it does when there is no cd, on my old computer when i put in my
> xp cd it would say "press any key to boot from cd" on my dell it says
> nothing. Is there someway i can do the whole reformat process with my
> dell?
> I would greatly appriciate any help

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

You could always hit F12 at the Dell spalsh screen and from the boot menu
choose CD rom if you dont wanna venture into the bios
> Go into the BIOS and make sure that the CD is the first boot option.
>
> Make sure you have both your Dell XP CD AND the Dell resource CD that has
> all the drivers.
>
> Tom
> "ATD293" <atdavis@covad-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>> Hello everybody,
>> I recently purchased a DELL 2400 from dell but have relized
>> that i have managed to let a virus get on to my computer. I have
>> tried finding the source of this but i was unable to, i do have Norton
>> but im sick of trying to eradicate it. I have come to the point where
>> i just want to completely reformat my pc, i wont be ereasing to much
>> important stuff so i think im gonna go through with it. I popped in
>> my windows xp pro disk, but my computer seems to boot up naturally
>> like it does when there is no cd, on my old computer when i put in my
>> xp cd it would say "press any key to boot from cd" on my dell it says
>> nothing. Is there someway i can do the whole reformat process with my
>> dell?
>> I would greatly appriciate any help

I have done this by changing the bios before I knew about the Cntrl F12 when
booting. It is the Best way as it allows putting the system back to the way
it came from Dell. You put the Dell Installation CD with Windows XP in the
CD/DVD player. Then when booting up..press Cntrl F12 and read the menu's.
Gary

"Gary Avrett" <designer852@sbcglobal.net_nospam> wrote in message
>I have done this by changing the bios before I knew about the Cntrl F12
>when booting. It is the Best way as it allows putting the system back to
>the way it came from Dell. You put the Dell Installation CD with Windows XP
>in the CD/DVD player. Then when booting up..press Cntrl F12 and read the
>menu's.
> Gary

F12. No need to press CTL.

Stew

Tim

Hi,
If you have brought your computer after July 16 2004, you can try the
DELL PC restore utility. Its an image of the entire sw installation
and will restore your computer to out of box. You can access PC
restore by presing the ctrl+F11 on the DELL logo screen. Press that
key combination only once or else it may boot normally /give keyboard
error.

Tim.