Opteron: Spiderman's New Archrival?

rollingrock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2001
Is it just me or did AMD recently hire Marvel comics for their marketing team?

I've taken more good from alcohol than alcohol has taken from me --Twain

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
I think that was Compaq for the Alpha "Marvel" series procs.

If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn't have thought so much.

G

True, I think people would get used to it even if it carried my beautiful name.

Man_Man 1800XP, I like the sound of that!

I am the MAN, the Man_Man!

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
Not to sure about you there, slick...but as for the name, as long as I can call it my "baby"...the official name doesn't matter to me (though I probably wouldn't like something the "PrettyPinkProcessor"...something along that line may make me look for other avenues). If ya don't like the processor name...ya can always name the machine she's in something to your liking.

DIM POST, STUPID
POST = INPUT $X
STUPID = PEEK 420, 255
IF POST >= STUPID, THEN GOTO H3LL

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think the name is pretty cool, almost sounds like a transformer! I bet some cool case mods will come from this name. Opteron even makes sense too, for instance Duron was basically "Dur" (Durable or lasting) and "on" (Unit)
So Operon sounds like Optimal Unit (32 bit and 64 capable). Those AMD marketing guys get paid good money to name these things too! Damn I need that job. :smile:

If my response is brief and vague its because the info you provided is too!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I still think Opteron reminds me of both Optics and Options. We know it isn't an optical chip. (Hmm ... sudden flashbacks about Coppermine...) And the options part is debatable. On one hand you have 32-bit and 64-bit. That's a cool choice of options. On the other hand, you're forced into DDR SDRAM. That's not much of an option if you ask me, what with QDR/DDR II on the near horizon and all.

I still prefer Chimera (the mythical beasty) over Opteron.

Although Pretty Pink Processor has a nice ring to it. It kind of reminds me of Particle Projection Cannon, but without the nasty connotations of being torn into basic atomic basics when you're bombarded with a beam of sub-atomic particles travelling at light (or near light) speed.

Could you really get mad at something named Pretty Pink Processor? That would be like getting mad at My Little Pony or Strawberry Shortcake. As much as you might want to, only the truely sick can actually get mad at them.

As opposed to Barney, which makes everyone sick.

Go fig.

<font color=red>Bob knew he was screwed when he saw the label actually read 'Tactile Nuclear Device'.</font color=red>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
... I suppose you could also name it OffOrOn.

Well, which is it? Off or on?

Either, it's binary!

Okay, I'll shut up now.

<font color=red>Bob knew he was screwed when he saw the label actually read 'Tactile Nuclear Device'.</font color=red>

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
"The computer industry is binary, you are either a 1 or a 0, alive or dead"
- antitrust... i liked that movie, my gf says i am on crack

(bb || !bb) - Shakespeare