CPU @ 100%

Benlville

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2002
I built my computer last summer when I had some free time, I am running an Asus A7V266 and have an Athlon 1.4, I am also running WINXP, when I check my CPU usage, sometimes it stays at 100%, that doesnt see right, Do I need to mess with the BIOS, if I do, how?

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Exactly what process puts it at 100%? It's easiest to set the task manager to appear in SysTray, set the process list to sort by CPU usage, and check the process list whenever you see the CPU usage meter shoot up unexpectedly.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Are you referring to the "System Idle Process"?
If so, that shows the processor at rest. The higher the
better.

:smile: <b><font color=blue> I took an I.Q. test today...It came back negative.</font color=blue></b> :lol:

G

Do a search on MS knowledge base.. there a few known issues, that can result in 100% cpu usage. It doesnt affect your systems performance though, but it will stress your system, cause unecessary heat and power consumption.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

FatBurger

Illustrious
No, it's just saying that your processor isn't doing anything at the moment.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
yes seti@home, & then ?!?

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...<font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS