This is probably a stupid question, but....

greasEdego

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2001
I heard somewhere that Athlon XPs run faster and more efficiently under Windows XP than other operating systems because they were designed for WinXP. True or not?

dhlucke

Polypheme
This is called marketing. Both Intel and AMD worked with Microsoft.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
One wonders why intel didnt get on the XP naming bandwagon... everyone else has LOL

Despite appearances im not Phsysic. I may need your system specifications to solve your problem!

greasEdego

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2001
So yes? No? I just installed a version of XP(Yes I know it's illegal cuz i don't own it, but screw microsoft for charging that much) because I wanted to try something. When I rip a movie in win2000 i only get like 23 frames per second, but in XP it's up to like 26 or 27. So I guess it's true? Or I just have really weird luck. Either way, I don't really plan on keeping XP on. It's not cool. Win2000 is much better IMO.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I don't really plan on keeping XP on. It's not cool. Win2000 is much better IMO.

Xp is faster but you think 2k is better?

Strange, since there is little difference between 2k and xp except that xp gets more support and has several more features over 2k, but to each their own I suppose.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

AMD_Flinkster

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
well if i live in the US , Canada , ... yes , but not if u live in a place where the xp costs as much as half as the average employee salary !

Any mystery devised by mortal mind can be solved therewith

greasEdego

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2001
Yeah. I dunno. XP just gave me a lot of driver issues and stuff like that. It's faster yes, but I also don't have a legit copy of it, so knowing my luck I'd somehow get busted for it and that's not cool at all. I'm not sure if the copy i downloaded off an ftp site is an actual copy that prevents the protection stuff or not, so I don't really wanna take that chance. Given time, I do feel that XP will be better than 2000, but it's still sorta buggy for me, and win2k isn't. That and the protection issue are my only 2 justifications for going back to win2k.

dhlucke

Polypheme
It depends on your hardware. If you have sketchy components, a lot of generic stuff, you might have to spend some time hunting down drivers. I've been there and done that.

With my system I don't have to install any drivers, but I of course install the new detonators.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I also think evaluating an illegal and possibly unreliable version of XP is just a waste of your time.

eden

Champion
Yeah lol, last summer, my bro bought over 10 games for 5$ each in Beirut!

But I no longer put illegal OS copies. I bought my own WinXP Home, and am glad to, because I am guaranteed full operation and support for any problem, including by my own local shop.

--
Thunderbirds in wintertime, Northwoods in summertime! :lol:

I actually like XP a lot.

It's the only OS that works out of the box ... meaning it detects everything no drivers are needed to be installed to have it work right.

And there ARE tweaks to make it run even faster.

You can take off the stupid XP skin and stuff and make it look like windows 2000. ... you can even make things win2k compatible and it'll work fine.

XP is greta in my opinion .. once SP1 comes out it should be even better as it will fix a bunch of major/minor bugs.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

*shrugs* i got XP Pro for free from school. ;) ... but i am still using the corp edition as i hate the activation thing.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I have found one very annoying interface bug though. The arrow that appears when there are hidden system tray icons sometimes disappears leaving some of the icons hidden without access.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

dhlucke

Polypheme
Yes, that's one of them. The other is the media player and it's inability to sort and play random playlists. They're fixing the later SP1. I'm sure they'll fix the first one too. I think that's related to stupid programs like icq though.

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
stupid you are, stupid you'll stay.

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...<font color=red>

shmeggegie

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
Strange, since there is little difference between 2k and xp except that xp gets more support and has several more features over 2k, but to each their own I suppose.
is that actually true? I ask because I'm considering getting xp and I currently own 2k. One reason, I think, to not get xp is because of all the privacy issues I keep reading articles about.

<b>Studies have shown that most people prefer the taste of AMD to the taste of Intel</b>

shmeggegie

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
I also think evaluating an illegal and possibly unreliable version of XP is just a waste of your time.
I agree. If there's any software on a person's computer that one should make absolutely sure is bought and paid for and gets all the support that comes with paying for it, it's whatever Microsoft's latest OS is. I always have a period of a couple months after a new OS install where I'm on the phone with those guys every couple weeks until I finally understand where things go wrong THIS TIME and how to fix it.

<b>Studies have shown that most people prefer the taste of AMD to the taste of Intel</b>

eden

Champion
Forgive my late ignorance, but what exactly is very beneficial of Service Packs?
I do hope that they find something that improves further WinXP's performance speed and stuff, fix some long shutdown bugs, put some sense into Creative' ass mind and do drivers that FIX the devldr not closing at shut down bug...

--
Thunderbirds in wintertime, Northwoods in summertime! :lol:

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
I've heard a lot about bugs in XP...and well, I think it's funny how Microsoft released this particular version. It was barely beta tested upon it's release (compared to previous releases). I'm not paying for an OS that still has so many bugs, as that's like paying Microsoft to be a beta tester! But, if a multiboot of Win2K pro, DOS, and 98se weren't my current setups, I would probably go for XP...but I have all I need right now. If there's something that has problems in one, I can run it in another.

I would like to throw Linux in there...but I'm gonna wait until I get setup with some hotswap drives, as it was mighty quarky on my other OS hard drives. Maybe they'll teach me how in my new classes...

DIM POST, STUPID
POST = INPUT $X
STUPID = PEEK 420, 255
IF POST >= STUPID, THEN GOTO H3LL