Sign in with
Your question

Simple HOME NETWORKING??

Last response: in Networking
February 7, 2002 3:18:29 PM

I have a Simple Setup at my house, Cable Modem, Linksys Router, and 3 PC's 2 with winXP one with win98se. What do i need to do, so i can see the other computers and get files from them, send and store stuff off them.. without using the remote Connectiong Feature provided with XP...

Thanks/Rob

Once you go AMD, You never Go back!!

More about : simple home networking

February 7, 2002 6:10:28 PM

Enable file and print sharing in your network properties.

Then right click in explorer on what folders you want to share or the whole HD, and select sharing to set that up.

Just be careful messing with permissions in 2k or XP if you start in there to get a user for the other PC's. I've crashed a whole pc because of a bad permission config hehe =).

February 7, 2002 6:13:25 PM

[-peep-], well, i really wanna just get to my Old Computer. im gonna put it in the basement and just use it for storage, i want to access everything from my room... both PC's have XP...

Thanks/Rob

Related resources
Anonymous
February 7, 2002 7:15:31 PM

assuming it isn't built into the router, you are going to need a switch/hub. You need NICs in all the machines. You need appropriate cables.

My suggestion would be to get equipment which all supports fast ethernet since it is so inexpensive lately. I just upgraded mine not long ago from coax to fast ethernet. It was totally worth it.
February 7, 2002 9:51:06 PM

Of Course all PC's have Network Cards, and i have all of them Hooked up to the internet with Cable modem....I just needed to no what settings to change so i can See the files i want to access

Rob,

February 8, 2002 12:43:54 AM

all you have to do is enable file and print sharing.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.
February 8, 2002 1:32:11 AM

ok Thanks

February 8, 2002 4:04:52 AM

Not exactly the ONLY thing. You must also make sure that the computer names are different, while the workgroup name must be the same on both. If you are assigning IP addresses manually, they must also be different for each machine.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
February 8, 2002 11:49:38 AM

I think we can assume that since they are all succesfully sharing the net connection then most of it is done, as mentioned, all you need to do is enable file/print sharing, and then on the pc's in the basement (storage or whatever) right click on the folders/drives you want to share, from the menu choose sharing.
Now, the "storage pc's" are these the xp or 98 boxes? if xp, you will probably need to create a user acount for the other pc's that will access it.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
February 8, 2002 1:20:02 PM

You're probably right, though I never assume anything.. lol

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
February 8, 2002 8:14:27 PM

Didn't i say all this in the 2nd reply? =)

February 8, 2002 9:57:35 PM

HAHA Thanks Everybody, Sorry for Causeing all this havoc with one thread.... the PC in the Basement is XP, it' has two User Accounts with Passwords... all i needed to do was enable the File/Printer Sharing..Thanks Everybody

Later Rob

!