Sign in with
Your question

More to Thouroughbred than just a die shrink ?!

Last response: in CPUs
April 28, 2002 8:08:04 PM

Take a look at this Inquirer artical. It presents some strong evidence that Thouroughbred has a few micro-core enhancements other than a .13 die shrink...believe what you want.

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/28040205.htm" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/28040205.htm&lt;/A>

<font color=purple>Ladies and Gentlemen, its...Hammer Time !</font color=purple>
April 28, 2002 8:19:33 PM

I wasn't implying that the <i>alleged</i> core enhancements would provide extra performance, I was implying that AMD had to make some small adjustments to the core to enable it to clock it higher i.e >2.2Ghz.

<font color=purple>Ladies and Gentlemen, its...Hammer Time !</font color=purple>
Related resources
April 28, 2002 8:23:35 PM

Obviously AMD isn't stupid, they're not going to stand by doing nothing as Intel's clock speeds (and performance) sky rocket.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:
April 28, 2002 8:35:19 PM

Last I checked they have been standing around doing nothing. It's almost May and the Tbred still isn't out. The first release better be able to compete with a 2.4-2.6GHz P4.

This crap of leaving everything a secret is really stupid. I'm sure that AMD knows everything about the CPU that will reach the market by now. They hopefully are just making sure there will be enough stock when it's released. They really should be showing it off. That is unless it sucks.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
April 28, 2002 8:38:08 PM

Agh, you're a fixture before me! I still have 30 posts to go! I should be a Forum Fixture later today.

April 28, 2002 8:39:49 PM

I think the Thouroughbred will have a tough time competing with P4 (performance wise) especially with 533FSB right round the corner.

April 28, 2002 8:41:23 PM

Quote:
I think the Thouroughbred will have a tough time competing with P4 (performance wise) especially with 533FSB right round the corner.

AMD can easily up the FSB to 166MHz if they get stuck, performance-wise.

April 28, 2002 8:48:18 PM

I'm starting to think the same thing. Regardless of the 1.6A, since they're discontinuing the overclocking giant, the tbred has to be able to compete with the P4's top of the line processor. If the rumors are true, then the tbred won't be released (paper or to our door?) until mid-may or june. That's a 2200+ competing with a 2.4 Ghz P4. No big deal right? Well the 2.4 Ghz P4-B is coming out on May 6th supposedly.

It's gonna get ugly. The only thing that I think AMD will have in its favor is Intel's reflex to release their processors at astronomical prices.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
April 28, 2002 8:52:52 PM

I very much doubt AMD will move to 166FSB anytime soon.

April 28, 2002 8:56:43 PM

Why? All they need is to lower the multiplier. The KT400A is coming out with 333MHz and 400MHz FSB support and support for both DDR333 and DDR400. Also, DDR400 modules are starting to appear on the market.

April 28, 2002 9:01:53 PM

DDR400 wont hit mainstream until 2003. Its not that it isn't technically possible for AMD to go to 166FSB its more a matter of standards and verifying processors for 133/166FSB support especially for MP platforms. I think AMD would much rather concentrate on Hammer at the moment than deal with FSB increases on the Athlon.

April 28, 2002 9:05:59 PM

I wouldn't be surpised if AMD "unexpectedly" jumps to a 400MHz FSB. They need it if they want to jump ahead of Intel again.

April 28, 2002 9:13:13 PM

Thats a bit over optimistic...remember AMD would prefer to limit the performance of the Athlon so not to affect intial sales of the Clawhammer when it eventually debuts in Oct/Nov this year.

We dont want another episode of the 'Celeron and PIII' happening again.

April 28, 2002 9:17:27 PM

Actually, it was the Celeron and PII. When the Celeron 300A and 333MHz were released they matched or outperformed the equivalent P2s.

April 28, 2002 9:20:11 PM

...yeah wasn't very good at history anyway.

April 28, 2002 9:22:41 PM

hehe, I remember reading about it way back in PC World. My cousin rushed to get a 333MHz Celeron at the time.

April 28, 2002 9:26:11 PM

I think it's safe to say that the Tbred isn't going to do much for AMD. I suppose my next question is the hammer. Are they going to delay it?

April 28, 2002 9:30:17 PM

I hope not...I'm not expecting Clawhammer to hit mainstream until Q103. From the sound of things AMD seem to be doing OK so far.

April 28, 2002 9:30:56 PM

all indecations suggest that Hammer is already runing at or near its relese clockspeeds... and most rumers point to early Q4 (theINQ says october 28).

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled
April 28, 2002 9:36:30 PM

I've noticed that the dates these guys put out are relatively wrong. It isn't until the actual release time that they get it right. They just keep guessing based on the weather or something. Wasn't the tbred supposed to be out already?

April 28, 2002 10:38:07 PM

Is Amd going to re-release some of their older processors on the Tbred platform, kinda like what P4 did with its newer processor core (re-releasing the 1.6 and the 1.8 GHz flavors?)

Jesus may save, but <i>I</i> invest.
April 28, 2002 10:40:41 PM

who is the most wrong, the guys or you ?

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...<font color=red>
April 28, 2002 10:43:21 PM

Quote:
If the rumors are true

roflMAO.

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...<font color=red>
April 28, 2002 10:44:55 PM

Quote:
This crap of leaving everything a secret is really stupid.

Yeah, another good thinking.

April 28, 2002 10:51:59 PM

Labdog, will you please stop that? You're posting nothing of relevance and you're not making any sense.

April 28, 2002 10:53:52 PM

who the hell are you?! Are you dhlucke's arch-nemesis or something?

<b>Studies have shown that most people prefer the taste of AMD to the taste of Intel</b>
April 28, 2002 10:57:17 PM

ask to dh! lol

April 28, 2002 11:01:21 PM

good response. you win a pan cake.

April 28, 2002 11:30:21 PM

that's exactly this.
i know Nemesis personally but who is Arch ?

April 29, 2002 12:10:49 AM

No, labdog never makes sense. Don't mind him.

April 29, 2002 12:29:28 AM

huh?
what are you talking about ?!?

April 29, 2002 12:55:27 AM

I think thier talking about what a moron someone is.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>
April 29, 2002 12:59:01 AM

WTH! AHYUK!

April 29, 2002 1:16:28 AM

Yeah, the guy is worse than ScamTron when he posts useless junk instead of compacting into one post. FatBurger is far from that anyway, any of his posts except one sentence posts, make sense.

--
Thunderbirds in wintertime, Northwoods in summertime! :lol: 
April 29, 2002 2:04:04 AM

Are you on medication?

Despite appearances im not Phsysic. I may need your system specifications to solve your problem!
April 29, 2002 2:28:10 AM

Quote:
Is Amd going to re-release some of their older processors on the Tbred platform, kinda like what P4 did with its newer processor core (re-releasing the 1.6 and the 1.8 GHz flavors?)

Don't forget 2 GHz either. And yes AMD is, Thoroughbreds will start at 1700+ and go all the way on up to 2200+ on initial release. And eventually higher (supposedly 2.2 GHz what ever PR rating that is)

If my response is brief and vague its because the info you provided is too!
April 29, 2002 2:52:01 AM

1800+ is as low as they'll go apparently

April 29, 2002 3:41:35 AM

I think hes Kenishin or whatever that guy from Korea was that seems to have disappeared.
April 29, 2002 4:25:42 PM

Other than the change in die size, will it look like the processors that are out now?

Jesus may save, but <i>I</i> invest.
April 29, 2002 4:43:37 PM

Quote:
FatBurger is far from that anyway, any of his posts except one sentence posts, make sense.

Do I need another cup of coffee, or did that not make sense to anyone else? :eek: 

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
April 29, 2002 4:46:37 PM

I get it. All your multi-line posts make sense. :smile:

a b à CPUs
April 29, 2002 5:19:37 PM

Actually, that's exactly what they said they plan to do, let Intel get some lead on them.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
April 29, 2002 5:35:31 PM

Ok, I'm going for coffee then.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
April 29, 2002 5:37:44 PM

Why would they want Intel to get ahead of them?? You think they want them to get that fuzzy feeling like ahh... now we're ahead and will stop making CPUs as fast because no one can tople us INTEL!!!! Then AMD rushes in with it's AMD Althon XP 1000000000+ =D hehe. Hopefully AMD will put something out soon where I'll have to build a whole new computer again! =D
April 29, 2002 5:47:18 PM

I've already had two cups of coffee, but I didn't quite get it. It sounds like he's saying your one-sentence posts don't make sense. Which doesn't make sense, because they usually do make sense. Am I making any sense?

<i>Money talks. Mine always likes to say "goodbye." :smile: </i>
a b à CPUs
April 29, 2002 8:44:09 PM

I don't have to think about it, AMD anounced it. They have officially withdrawn from the speed war amongst accusations that the last price war lead to a glut in the marketplace and the current recession. They are pushing the current Athlon downscale and eliminating the Duron in order to be a producer of "mid priced" mid performance CPU's, because that's where the largest market is. I don't know how the Hammers fit into this logic, maybe this plan is only short term.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
April 29, 2002 8:47:30 PM

LOL, Crashman, are you saying AMD single handedly started a recession in many of the western countries? I thought Sept. 11 did that?

April 29, 2002 8:47:30 PM

LOL, Crashman, are you saying AMD single handedly started a recession in many of the western countries? I thought Sept. 11 did that?

April 29, 2002 8:50:52 PM

Holy moly everyone is confused. Don't worry guys you ain't alone, even in real life I have trouble making sense!
I meant Fatty sometimes when he posts one sentence posts or one line, are often non-sense! But anyway even then he's far from Labdog's nonsense.
Hell Labdog's sig is non-sense, I can't get what he means AND IT PISSES ME OFF!!
Also anybody notice Labdog's following dhlucke? Is he some stalker?

--
Thunderbirds in wintertime, Northwoods in summertime! :lol: 
!