Strange Celeron

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok, I admit I don't use Intel chips often but I am in the process of setting up a budget internet system for someone out of second hand parts. Using an old bx chipset board I was going to use a sloket adapter and use a celeron 667. Problem is after looking at the celeron I have it would appear to have an extra pin. Here are the letters on the chip:

Celeron
RB80529RZ667128 T T020A228
O020A317-0057 QV18 0554

Ok the sign showing pin one has the typical pin config ( missing the pin that would make it a perfect square). Normally there would be another edge with the same pin layout. However this chip does not have that. Any ideas?

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, dude, did you get ripped off? OK, Socket 5/7 has one pin missing, Socket 370 has two pins missing. And the early Celerons look otherwise identicle to Pentium MMX CPU's. Now if it's green, it's a Coppermine, the earlier processors were black. All 667's were Coppermine.

The BX supports 100MHz FSB natively, 133MHz on some boards by overclocking. The Celeron 800 is usually cheaper than the Celeron 667, and much faster due more to bus speed than to clock speed. In fact a Celeron 850 is almost par to a PIII 700.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
LOL, yeah I know.

Ok yes it is green, it is obviously a coppermine core cpu. Was only trying to set up this dfi bx chipset board to get rid of it ( had it laying around for almost a year, picked it up for nothing ( no post), did a bios recovery via hot swap and it sprand to life. Got this cheap celly of ebay and a sloket. This cpu is the wierdest thing I ever saw. Maybe a laptop CPU? Same exact size as a normal socket 370 fc, but carefull inspection shows a difference in the pin layout.

This is a rough scetch of a normal socket 370 CPU

Now this crazy thing:

............ extra pin here
.......... missing a pin here

Supposedly these were working pulls from compaq machines, but dam I have never heard of a proprietary Intel celly have you?

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
If ya make a custom PGA adapter to make the extra pin contact with the spare Pinhole, you'll have a CPU used for a Time Machine. Better write this down...once the Gov reads it, it and I will be deleted.

:eek:

DIM POST, STUPID
POST = INPUT $X
STUPID = PEEK 420, 255
IF POST >= STUPID, THEN GOTO H3LL