Upcoming 533 MHz FSB - Conflicting Information

pineir

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2002
I've posted a similar message like this at another forum and I'm getting conflicting information. Some say that a BIOS upgrade will allow you to upgrade current 400 Mhz FSB Intel boards to the upcoming 533MHz FSB ..... others say that is ludicrous and Intel will force you to buy a new board with the i850E chipset. By the same token I've noticed that DELL is providing BIOS upgrades that say "support for future processor ... up to 4GHz". Who is right ??????????????????

FatBurger

Illustrious
From what I understand, there will be two versions of "PC1066". One will be called PC1066 and simply be a higher clocked version of what we now have. This upgrade will most likely require a BIOS flash at the most.

The other version is RIMM4200 (unsure of what the release name will actually be), and will be single-channel 32-bit modules providing the same amount of bandwidth.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

FatBurger

Illustrious
Why would you say that? One of the reasons for dual-channel in the first place was that it decreases latency.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Currently only boards that support overclocking will support the 533 bus, OEM boards such as Intel's will not, until the release of the i850E versions.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
My guess is that the PC1066 chip will have a higher latency than a RIMM4200 chip, but dual channels for PC1066 will make up for it and excede it.

Depends on how they engeneered the RIMM4200 though. If it's simply 2 16-Bit RIMMs effectively pasted togeather onto one chip, they it will effectively have the same performance.

The Windows Gods demand money to appease the BSOD! - Rev. Bill Gates

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
Bront has it right: for the time being, RIMM4200 modules are essentially 2 single-sided RIMMs back to back. They are not "single-channel" 32bit they are dual-channel 16bit packaged onto a single 32bit RIMM. Yes, we could argue the sematics of dual or single channel, but the chips or "devices" are 16bit and are identical to the devices on the 16bit modules. The latency of one 32bit module, therefore, will be identical to installing 2 16bit RIMMs with the same chips.

If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn't have thought so much.

eden

Champion
Would be interesting if it was possible to Dual Channel those RIMMS with another stick, 8.4GB/sec of bandwidth, nice.

--
Thunderbirds in wintertime, Northwoods in summertime! :lol:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Half of which would be unused, but it would be nice to say I had 8.4GB/s of bandwidth :cool:

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Hmm... since latency increases with the addition of more RAM in a RDRAM system, wouldn't having only half the RIMMs reduce latency by about the same about that a dual-channel would have? Just conjecture on my part, really.

-SammyBoy