Recommendations for Digital Video - Intel vs AMD

NCDreamer

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2001
I am building a PC for my brother who does digital video and photo editing, DVD and MP3 ripping, and normal office applications (no gaming). I am torn between going AMD vs. Intel. He already has a high-end video card and 100GB HD, and has about $1300 for the rest of the system. How do I best spend his money? I need specific recommendations (mb, processor, memory, etc) and it needs to be released products as his current system died this past weekend and he needs the new one built ASAP.

It seems people really like the Pentium 4 1.6A because it easily runs stable at 2.2 GHz or better. If the extra $60-120 is not an issue, should I go with the 1.8A or 2.0A processors? Do they overclock as well as the 1.6A?

FYI, my machine is an Athlon XP 1800+ with Alpha Pal 8045 , MSI K7T266A Pro2-RU, 1GB Mushkin 2100 CL2, Lian-Li PC-65 case, Matrox G550, and an assortment of fixed and removeable media. No complaints except that the system makes my room way too warm.

Thanks in advance!

--Carl

eden

Champion
The 2GHZ A will overclock the same as the two before it, because they are downbinned from it. You can get it to 2.2GHZ safely, but I think 2.4GHZ can be found quite well too.

Now if you have the money, you could invest in a cheap priced Dual AthlonMP system, probably an AMP 2000 or below, with 512MB RAM and dual CPU system, using AMD's 760MPX since most approve of it. That way your digital video is at its best.

I dunno about house warming though, I mean the whole world is warming up anyway lol!

--
Thunderbirds in wintertime, Northwoods in summertime! :lol:

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
One thing, will he be ripping DVD to mpeg4 (divx) or to mpeg2 (svcd), i believe that the axp does better at mpeg2 while the p4 rocks in mpeg4.

didnt have one of em electronic pens so ill just type my name,<i>CoOoLMaNX</i>

Siddhartha

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
What software does your brother use? He might benefit from having a dual cpu system.

"Just the facts ma'am"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Siddhartha on 04/30/02 04:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

NurseMSIC

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
I do video editing daily, and recently upgraded from an Intel-based P3 system to an MSI 645 Ultra board, 256 MB PC 2100 (i know it can take 2700 but crucial didnt sell it at the time), upgraded my case to a Chieftec with loads of spare drive bays, a P4 o/c (and STABLE) at 2.15 Ghz (increased FSB to 133), and then just a GeF2 MX 400 with VIVO and Twin View, with dual monitors (incidentally, i found a GREAT place selling refurbished one month or so old Sony Trinitrons at less than half usual new price!).
My system is great for games, benchmarks quite well (although they are out of date and beaten as soon as you publish them, but thats computers for you) but more importantly is great for editing.
Next thing for me is to get a RAID card and a couple of 60 or 80 Gig hard drives, but my current 40 and 12 Gigs do manage as long as i only work on one project at a time.
The whole upgrade though, from the P3 to the P4, cost just over 300 pounds (case 80, P4 120, mboard 80, RAM 60,) and i now have a bare bones system to either sell or give my sister (but i have to live...).

In short - i think i got a bargain that i love, have no regrets, and edits very very well.

The spirit of Monkey was ...... irrepressible

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Without overclocking, for the cost amd always wins.

YOu can get a 1900+ for the cost of a 1.6a.

If you want to overclock, go for the p4.

Simple.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
Strong words Fatburger - in some cases stability and cost are more important than speed (not that speed isn't important). I know many tech literate people that (based mostly on Intel FUD, BTW) are afraid to OC their system because it will "void the warranty." They don't want to hear that FSB OCing or Athlon MP OCing don't require physical modifications - they just want to have a fast, stable system for the best price possible. In this case, I have to recommend AMD - the prices can't be beat with a comparable performing system by Intel.

(Please, no FUD about AMD processors being "less" stable than Intel. I have several of both and know where the stability problems are - Intel has had more than its fair share).

If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn't have thought so much.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I see your point, but I am of course talking about from the perspective of the average person on this forum. Should I have been more clear?

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

eden

Champion
I understood your point Fatty, and I do agree, some will go pay anything for Intel Inside.

--
Thunderbirds in wintertime, Northwoods in summertime! :lol:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
see your point, but I am of course talking about from the perspective of the average person on this forum. Should I have been more clear?

The person asking is NOT an average person on this forum, he came for help and figuring out how to overclock a p4 is probably not high on his to do list.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The person asking is NOT an average person on this forum, he came for help and figuring out how to overclock a p4 is probably not high on his to do list.
if the guy can go into the bios then he can overclock a P4, simple as that.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
Oops, Mat, he <b>did</b> ask about overclocking....

While I agree with Fatburger that anyone on a limited budget that buys highest "performance" stock is wasting their money (especially if they buy a 2.4GHz P4 or 2100+ Athlon and put them in i845 or KT133a motherboards with PC133). Even going for all out performance with stock clocks is a pure waste of money - I don't know how many clients/employees I have stopped from making these kinds of mistakes. Especially when I can buy a 1.6a now and will be able to buy a 2.6 in 6-12 months for even less than the 1.6a (total spent = <1/2 cost of 2.4 now).

It is just that some outright refuse to OC. If this is the case, they need to get what they need to be as productive as possible - if this requires a $4,000 system, so be it - it's their money.

If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn't have thought so much.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
unless of course he uses generic ram thats hardly overclockable.
or has a board that barely support any overclocking.

<font color=purple>Win ME Slayer. And PROUD of it!</font color=purple>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Nobody should be buying a system with the intent of overclocking and not finding out what components are good overclockers first. And I see very, very few people that fail to do research before buying overclocking gear.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
point.
allthough i do see many noobs who start with a generic system then at some point later get interested and try to overclock, usualy with zero or very average results.
at that point the research for a new system begins in earnest :smile:

NCDreamer

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2001
Thanks for the replies so far folks... looks like I need to re-state some things (after the bantering between Matisaro/FatBurger/Ath0mps0/AMDMeltdown). First, please re-read my original post... I asked for specific recommendations on motherboards, memory, etc. I also inquired about overclocking, hence the need to know what mb/cpu/mem combos work best. I may be new to overclocking, but I have read MANY forums and reviews to learn enough to know to ask for some specific recommendations.

As for what applications he will be using, I know the Adobe suite is a big one (Photoshop, Premier, AfterEffects, etc). I am not sure what additional ripping programs he is using, but I know both mpeg 2 and 4 are in the picture.

Hope this helps narrow the responses to some specific recommendations. Let me know if I can provide additional details that will help you craft your replies. Thanks in advance!!!

--Carl

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-<ORIGINAL POST>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I am building a PC for my brother who does digital video and photo editing, DVD and MP3 ripping, and normal office applications (no gaming). I am torn between going AMD vs. Intel. He already has a high-end video card and 100GB HD, and has about $1300 for the rest of the system. How do I best spend his money? I need specific recommendations (mb, processor, memory, etc) and it needs to be released products as his current system died this past weekend and he needs the new one built ASAP.

It seems people really like the Pentium 4 1.6A because it easily runs stable at 2.2 GHz or better. If the extra $60-120 is not an issue, should I go with the 1.8A or 2.0A processors? Do they overclock as well as the 1.6A?

FYI, my machine is an Athlon XP 1800+ with Alpha Pal 8045 , MSI K7T266A Pro2-RU, 1GB Mushkin 2100 CL2, Lian-Li PC-65 case, Matrox G550, and an assortment of fixed and removeable media. No complaints except that the system makes my room way too warm.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Prices from Newegg:

Pentium 4 1.6A retail - $128
Abit TH7II - $138 (add $20 for RAID)
2x 256MB Samsung PC800 - $170 from <A HREF="http://www.computerhq.com" target="_new">ComputerHQ</A>
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz - $58
Lian-Li PC61+ (black) - $155
Teac 40/10/48 (black) - $104 (I didn't know they were that cheap :eek: )
Lite-On 16x DVD (black) - $54
Antec 330w PSU - $50
Logitech cordless freedom optical (KB&mouse) - $79

That comes out to $936, and will even look kickass (black case, drives, keyboard and mouse). I assume he doesn't need a monitor and speakers, since his current system died? You can throw in your preferred network card/modem/tv tuner/whatever.

Sorry I didn't give you any recommendations before, I got confused with another similar thread.

EDIT:
You can get a higher P4 if you want, but the 1.6A is the best price/performance after overclocking. I added ComputerHQ because Newegg doesn't have Samsung PC800 in stock. A friend of mine got his motherboard from ComputerHQ, ordered two-day shipping and had it at his house within 24 hours.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FatBurger on 05/02/02 09:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

NurseMSIC

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Yeah, Fatburgers suggestion seems reasonable.
Although i went the intel route, just for a bit of balance it's worth mentioning that, without doing the maths, your budget probably will stretch to a dual-cpu athlon which i know both Premiere and Photoshop will use well. That said, and remember everyone that this is someone who probably will not care what the machinery IS underneath the plastic case, a dual cpu setup will not be twice as fast as the single CPU in it and will only work for specific applications.
So personally i'd still go with the fastest single CPU you can afford.

The spirit of Monkey was ...... irrepressible

FatBurger

Illustrious
Actually though, that's a very good idea. The thought of going dual hadn't even crossed my mind. Newegg's site is giving me problems at the moment, but I'll throw out some prices for a dual Athlon setup when I get a chance.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Actually though, that's a very good idea. The thought of going dual hadn't even crossed my mind. Newegg's site is giving me problems at the moment, but I'll throw out some prices for a dual Athlon setup when I get a chance.

Hi mom!

Ohhh nummy a dual athlon, theres where the performance lies, I suggest that route, it will not cost much more than a single p4, and you will have kickass performance.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i thought of dualies once...
but the only real advantages i could get out of it would be 2 cases of cure for cancer running simultaneously or my Divx Encoding.

maybe oneday.... hammmer?

FatBurger

Illustrious
And Newegg is working again (their layout change made me clear my cache before it would display properly, no clue why).
This would replace the P4, motherboard and RDRAM. I'll go ahead and throw in 1GB of DDR which will slightly skew the prices (since my earlier recommendation already had 512MB), but I wouldn't think that'd cause you too much grief).

Asus A7M266D retail - $217
4x 256MB Crucial ECC - $406.76 (from Crucial.com)
2x Athlon XP 1800+ MP - $362

And...holy crap, that's expensive. What'd I do wrong, Mat?
$250 more, not as bad as I thought. And you're still under budget if you don't need a monitor and speakers (as well as still being able to trim from other places if desired).

BTW, I don't feel comfortable recommending XPs for dual use, but someone else might have experience with that and be able to recommend that.