cpu-cooler info needed ...

Nerun

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2002
hey guys! what is a good cpu-cooler for the athlon 2100. although i don't plan to overclock, it could be a little stronger.

thx

GzG

Nerun

G

A good choice would be the ThermalTake Volcano 7+ with Arctic Silver III cooler paste.

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
The Volcano 6cu (not the "+" version) is an excellent replacement (~US$10-15). It ranks favorably in the noise category in comparison to the stock cooler and cools much better with its copper core. I would also use Arctic Silver thermal paste - it will also decrease your temperatures by a few degrees or more.

If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn't have thought so much.

groth2757

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
I picked up the ThermalTake Volcano 7+. It got great reviews and you can adjust the fan to three settings Low, Medium, and High. It's a solid copper heatsink with 36 tiny fins on each side giving a total of 72 fins. It was even rated being a good OC'ing HSF.

:tongue: <font color=red>When overclocking always be sure to wear clean underwear!</font color=red>' :tongue:

Nerun

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2002
do you have to adjust the fan speed manually ? and if, which setting is ok for normal operation ?

GzG

Nerun

blue_heart

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
yes you have to adjust the fan manually and you can choose 3 speeds. and i think that the medium speed is most suitable for medium-heavy use.
you can put the switch on any place outside the case so you can adjust the speed whenever you want and depending on what you do.

Volcano 7 (without +) has sensor so it adjusts the rpm depedning on the inside temp of the case, it is good too but 7+ is much better and better performer.

wish if there was UnDo in the life

Nerun

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2002
in another corner of this forum i read that its completely enough to use the boxed fan and thermal tape...

i'm getting more and more worried. i think i shouldn't ask so much.

GzG

Nerun