Level Question

If you die during an encounter and get raised (losing a level), do you
get XPs based on the level you were before you died or after? It says
you get the XPs after you get raised, but it doesn't say what lvel you use.

Same with energy drain. It says you gain negative levels that apply in
any calcultion where level is a factor, does that include Xps?

Dormammu <Dormammu@thedarkdimension.com> wrote in

> If you die during an encounter and get raised (losing a level), do you
> get XPs based on the level you were before you died or after? It says
> you get the XPs after you get raised, but it doesn't say what lvel you
> use.

Use the lower, current level. The player's already been punished for
getting killed, anything that catches him up faster is good.

> Same with energy drain. It says you gain negative levels that apply
> in any calcultion where level is a factor, does that include Xps?

No.

Chipacabra wrote:

> Dormammu <Dormammu@thedarkdimension.com> wrote in
>
> > If you die during an encounter and get raised (losing a level), do you
> > get XPs based on the level you were before you died or after? It says
> > you get the XPs after you get raised, but it doesn't say what lvel you
> > use.
>
> Use the lower, current level. The player's already been punished for
> getting killed, anything that catches him up faster is good.

Why not just *give* him enough XP to regain the lost
level, if *anything* that catches him up faster is
good? ;-)

Seriously, though. While *I* would use the character's
level at the time of the encounter (because it just
seems silly to me the other way), Chipacabra makes a
valid point: you may want to be generous in this case,
irrespective of what the official rules are or are not.

-Bluto

Senator Blutarsky <monarchy@comcast.net> wrote in news:42B26B23.C772A782
@comcast.net:

> Chipacabra wrote:
>>
>> Dormammu <Dormammu@thedarkdimension.com> wrote in
>>
>> > If you die during an encounter and get raised (losing a level), do
you
>> > get XPs based on the level you were before you died or after? It
says
>> > you get the XPs after you get raised, but it doesn't say what lvel
you
>> > use.
>>
>> Use the lower, current level. The player's already been punished for
>> getting killed, anything that catches him up faster is good.
>
> Why not just *give* him enough XP to regain the lost
> level, if *anything* that catches him up faster is
> good? ;-)

I'm... probably not the best person to ask that question to. The last
game I ran, I had to pause the game partway through to play in an online
poker tournament, so I announced ahead of time they were getting
experience based directly on how much I won. They shot up a level right
quick, it turns out.

"Dormammu" <Dormammu@thedarkdimension.com> wrote in message
> If you die during an encounter and get raised (losing a level), do you get
> XPs based on the level you were before you died or after? It says you get
> the XPs after you get raised, but it doesn't say what lvel you use.
>
> Same with energy drain. It says you gain negative levels that apply in
> any calcultion where level is a factor, does that include Xps?

Well the DMG p36 says:

"You need to calculate XP awards during the course of an adventure, ..."

I always keep a running tally and would apply the negative levels because
they make the encounter that much harder if you are fighting with negative
levels.

In the case of dying during the encounterand then getting raised I would use
the current level to calculate that encounters XP, then the modified level
for the rest of the time.

Dormammu <Dormammu@thedarkdimension.com> wrote in

> If you die during an encounter and get raised (losing a level), do
> you get XPs based on the level you were before you died or after?
> It says you get the XPs after you get raised, but it doesn't say
> what lvel you use.

Well, what level were you when you earned the XPs?

--
Marc

Rommie : We are not the droids you are looking for
Doyle : What was that ?
Rommie : I don't know, but it didn't work !

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:24:27 -0700, Dormammu
<Dormammu@thedarkdimension.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:

> If you die during an encounter and get raised (losing a level), do you
> get XPs based on the level you were before you died or after? It says
> you get the XPs after you get raised, but it doesn't say what lvel you use.

I'd use the level you were during the encounter, but the XP would be
applied either before losing the level, or after, which ever is most
advantaegous to the character. This came up because for some reason my
players tend to get their characters killed just before they'd level
up.

> Same with energy drain. It says you gain negative levels that apply in
> any calcultion where level is a factor, does that include Xps?

I'd say no, because the drain isn't permanent.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."

Kirk Janetzke wrote:
> "Dormammu" <Dormammu@thedarkdimension.com> wrote in message
>
>>If you die during an encounter and get raised (losing a level), do you get
>>XPs based on the level you were before you died or after? It says you get
>>the XPs after you get raised, but it doesn't say what lvel you use.
>>
>>Same with energy drain. It says you gain negative levels that apply in
>>any calcultion where level is a factor, does that include Xps?
>

> Well the DMG p36 says:
>
> "You need to calculate XP awards during the course of an adventure, ..."
>
> I always keep a running tally and would apply the negative levels because
> they make the encounter that much harder if you are fighting with negative
> levels.
>
> In the case of dying during the encounterand then getting raised I would use
> the current level to calculate that encounters XP, then the modified level
> for the rest of the time.

Question: couldn't this be abused at higher levels? "Hey Roderick,
that beholder's
almost finished off. Hit me with an Enervation so I can get more XPs!"