AMD vs Pentium

G

I,m new to this forum and I hope you can help me.
I want to buy a new pc and I have two under consideration. One has an AMD Athlon 1670 mhz processor,GeForce 4 MX420 graphics card and a firewire port;the other one has a Pentium 4 processor,GeForce 4 (?),Card shared with RAM and no firewire.Bearing in mind that my use is graphics processing using Photoshop 6.0,which is the better buy? Both are about the same price.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers,
Anne (in rainy London,UK)

FatBurger

Illustrious
Need more details about the P4 system. What clock speed for the P4, which GF4, and how is the RAM shared? No GF4s use shared RAM.

Also, what's the price of each?

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'd go for the P4 system, but you might what to list the complete specs of both and let others look at it.

the reason I'd go for the P4 is because of the better platform and the on going optimisations(by Adobe) for it.

another reason is the fact that the P4 has an on chip complete thermal protection, in other words: if your system overheats it will just slow down until it cools, but this is very hard to do with the P4.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

dhlucke

Polypheme
There's no way to pick from those two until we get more details.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Either are fine really. Still, make sure if you go PIV, get the northwood core version, designated P4a. Ditch the Gf4 MX, it's poor for the money compared to a Gf3 or a Gf4 Ti2400. If you go P4a, get PC-800 RDR, if you go AXP, make sure you get PC-266 or PC-333 DDR.

"When there's a will, there's a way."

G

Thanks guys-I,m afraid I,m not very hardware savvy!
AMD specs:AMD 2000+,1670mhz,256 DDR Ram,64Mb GeForce 4 MX420,Price £687.
P4 specs:p4 2000mhz,256 DDR Ram,64Mb GeForce 4,(spec sheet says 'card shared with ram'-not sure what that means),Price£700.
Both have 40Gb hdds and WinXP.I,m quite prepared to upgrade the graphics card to something more appropriate-just wondered if one processor has the edge over the other for PS editing.
Thanks for your advice,
Cheers,
Anne

Pwent

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2002
Ack Don't get MX suckered unless you know that you WILL be upgrading shortly. Better to go with a R8500LE and get full DX8.x support. Also, what type of RAM for the P4? Definately want RDRAM or OCZ DDR400 on SiS645DX(or is it 745DX?). USB 2.0 > FW. Faster, more compatible(sp(3 hrs sleep in the last 48)), and soon to be much cheaper(as soon as 2.0 becomes standard, expect 10%+ pricedrop).

<font color=black>Need Money!! Accepting Donations to help better my future. Thanks!</font color=black>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well if the P4 had RDRAM i might suggest that, but as its only got DDR i would go for the AMD system, but

<font color=red>DONT GET THE GEFORCE 4 MX!</font color=red>

i suggest a geforce3 TI200 64mb as a good alternative.

do you know what motherboard it has???

<font color=purple>Win ME Slayer. And PROUD of it!</font color=purple>

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
One thing dont listen to Amdmeltdown he a A$$hole. And thing is. He thinks bashing will make amd look bad. But amd and intel at the same speed are about the same. Price would be what you are looking at.

FatBurger

Illustrious
But being attacked following a helpful post is inexcusable, IMO. I don't care if it's Meltdown, buttpluginside, nomorelamers, or satan himself. I judge posts based on their merit, not by something that has no relevance at the time.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
here's more info on the P4 and Adobe: <A HREF="http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200204/200204ps7_ms_intel.html" target="_new">http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200204/200204ps7_ms_intel.html</A>, Photoshop7 is shipping and includes even more P4 optimisations, also the price diff between the two systems is negligible and upgrading from mx to a gf4 will add to your cost if you decide on an Athlon system.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah, I find that melty does post good posts, just he gets annoying sometimes when he flames and posts FUD. But you have to give him credit. He gives some good info. Don't judge a book by its cover. (don't know if that makes any sense in this case... :smile: ) Hopefully AMDMeltdown, you'll learn that your helpful posts are way better than when you post FUD... Hope you'll change some day.

G

I dont care he a prick and everyone knows it.

AmdMELTDOWN...he a mean bad man...he no like me...he bad man...he a prick-he say bad bad thing...he speak bad on AMD...he message in tall letter always...he bad man he bad man...he say to me bad bad thing...he bad he not nice he bad.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are still the <i><b>weakest</b></i> link, good bye!"

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Melty,

I agree with FB. However you just don't do justice for the Bapu from Sinfeld type response.

<b>"Sometimes you can't hear me because I'm talking in parenthesis" - Steven Wright</b> :lol:

M_C_Hammer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
I would go with the P4 because they are more expensive, slower, more difficult to upgrade (due to sockets changing) and generally come with poor chipsets.

no but seriously the P4 sticker that comes on the case is worth the premium, it is much nicer than a green athlon xp sticker.

I need a 1.5 Ghz Athlon + 512mb ddr ram to write emails......honestly

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I totally agree, I mean I'd pay at least $100 for that sticker alone. I mean it's make by Intel. Wait, it's probably made by some slave laborer somewhere...

eden

Champion
Are you guys talking of the one on the chip itself? Other than the damn reviewer sites that remove it, I have to admit from the pics I saw, it's really attractive!

--
Thunderbirds in wintertime, Northwoods in summertime! :lol:

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
im reading the same post as you are, his post was not informative it was missleading!
i dont know whats up with you, its not like you to stick up for trolls..

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

FatBurger

Illustrious
I would go with the P4 because they are more expensive, slower, more difficult to upgrade (due to sockets changing) and generally come with poor chipsets.

Hey, thanks for trolling. Care to try again?

I can't beleive Melty would change to another nick just to terrorize.

He didn't, there's a thread in the Other section about it. Jake75 started that account, then gave the password so anyone can use it.

Are you guys talking of the one on the chip itself?

I think they're talking about the case badge, not the IHS.

im reading the same post as you are, his post was not informative it was missleading!

The only thing he said that wasn't fact was that the P4 is a better platform. That's opinion, and even Meltdown is entitled to one.

i dont know whats up with you, its not like you to stick up for trolls..

I'll stick up for anyone who is being treated unfairly, no matter who it is.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

M_C_Hammer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
"Hey, thanks for trolling. Care to try again?"

Excuse me, but i am allowed my own opinions, you have no right to accuse me of 'trolling', you may not agree with me, which is fair enough, but you can not accuse me of trolling, or did you find the sarcastic tone of my opinions not to your liking so choose to have a go at me? whatever, you can not write things like that.

plus i think that a lot of people would agree that P4s are slow FOR THEIR PRICE which was the point of my statement

I need a 1.5 Ghz Athlon + 512mb ddr ram to write emails......honestly