Which laptop is better for Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donavaughn_08

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I am going to buy one of these two laptops today, I want to play WoW, Rift, and the Total War series at Max settings highest resolution. Which is better

Alienware M11X-R1
Intel Core 2 Duo 1.7GHz
Nvidia 335M 1GB
500GB HD
8GB DDR3 1333MHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Asus G50V-X1
15.6" Widescreen
Intel Dual Core 2.27ghz
Geforce 9800m GS
4GB DDR3
500GB HD
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

I was just wanting some advice as to which laptop I should go with and which would be more reliable and better for games

Solution
SU7300 is a 1.3GHz CPU which is probably overclocked in that Alienware.

So you looking at 'better' GPU in the Alienware vs 'better' CPU in the ASUS.
It's a toss up as to which will perform better.

Older games like WoW, Rift, Total War will probably like the better CPU more and not held back by the older GPU.
Core 2 Duo P8400 review

Still a tough call.
I'm guessing since the Alienware (probably 2010 model?) had the lower new sell price it's not as old as the Asus (maybe a 2008 model?).

It's going to be your call, but I think the Alienware might have an edge in reliability over time, since it's not as old.
Is your friend going to toss in an external DVD drive for the MX11?
SU7300 is a 1.3GHz CPU which is probably overclocked in that Alienware.

So you looking at 'better' GPU in the Alienware vs 'better' CPU in the ASUS.
It's a toss up as to which will perform better.

Older games like WoW, Rift, Total War will probably like the better CPU more and not held back by the older GPU.
Core 2 Duo P8400 review

Still a tough call.
I'm guessing since the Alienware (probably 2010 model?) had the lower new sell price it's not as old as the Asus (maybe a 2008 model?).

It's going to be your call, but I think the Alienware might have an edge in reliability over time, since it's not as old.
Is your friend going to toss in an external DVD drive for the MX11?

Solution

Donavaughn_08

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
No he isnt, I'm not worried about the CD drive I use steam and stuff like that but he said he gave $800 for the Alienware 2 months ago and it does have the 1.7ghz CPU in it, he is selling it to pay the rent and idk if my other friend bought the laptop from Asus new or not he said he has had it for 2 months.

It has the 1.3Ghz CPU. It just happens to run overclocked.
Try and check the prices on Ebay. Are the copies of Windows Genuine? I suspect maybe not, since no one sells notebooks with Win7 Ultimate.

Would you think there were any chance either of those might be stolen property?

Donavaughn_08

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Ah I see, and I maybe wrong on the Windows 7 Ultimate for the Alienware I think it is Home Premium and I would hope that they wouldnt be stolen lol I don't associate myself with people that do that

Donavaughn_08

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
ok, so the alienware would be more reliable and still game good? or is the asus the safe bet? Im having a hard time choosing the game of choice for me is going to be WoW that is what I'm going to play most of the time

Status
Not open for further replies.