XP or TBred

G

i would like to buy an amd cpu but i dont know if i have to wait the newest Thorobred flagship cpu ?

thanks for any comment.

hey, im a newbie, keep it easy men. be cool and be patient. thanks. :)

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
well pricing-wise i think that the present day AthlonXP's (Palomino) will be priced the same as the new Thoroughbreds...this is because AMD will market TBreds under the same name (AthlonXP) and will thus probably keep it's prices roughly similar.

The TBreds will be out in 2-4 weeks...we hope. All the community here has been waiting and waiting for them.

TBreds will run a little colder than Palominos and be slightly better for overclocking.

It all depends on how desperate you are to make your PC....the difference between Palomino and Tbred is not going to be that much, but if you can wait, I'd recommend you do :)

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
lol, i know, are these things ever going to come out?

from what i hear now the CPU's are ready, it's AMD marketing (the worst bit of AMD) that are deciding when to release them.....forgot where i heard that but it sounded real.

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
well i've not tried to OC a TBred yet, so i wasn't going to "jump the gun" but yeah, i have high hopes that the TBred will be a great OC-ing chip :)

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Lot cooler, and a Lot better for overclocking.

That theory it have never been able to prove it.NW overclocking is real and it now.There still 1.65 volt question.If someone want a AMD cpu wait for clawhammer or buy a P4 NW now

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Say, if an AXP 1800+ has average temps of 43º, what would a Tbred give?

Eden, friend, I know a thing or two about semiconductors, but I am not a magician or a psychic, and I dont know what average temp you should expect :)

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
That theory it have never been able to prove it.NW overclocking is real and it now.There still 1.65 volt question.If someone want a AMD cpu wait for clawhammer or buy a P4 NW now

LoL, we will see, and please word your posts better man, or just post in french, it is hard to understand what you are saying.

eden

Champion
No real "magician" stuff, just an estimation really! Does anyone remember what a 1.6 Willy's average temp was by stock cooling to a 1.6A's? Again although it is never the accurate temp, just an estimation is ok.

--
Thunderbirds in wintertime, Northwoods in summertime! :lol:

G

"semi conducteur industrie", "PHILOSOPHIE"
maybe this is french, no ?

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
hey will the Tbreds fit in the Socket A (if that's what the XPs can fit in)?

Jesus may save, but <i>I</i> invest.

eden

Champion
Yes, all Athlon systems to Barton, until ClawHammers, will remain with the good ol' Socket A.

--
Thunderbirds in wintertime, Northwoods in summertime! :lol:

G

some explanations, IMO:

He has never been able to prove his theory.
NorthWood overclocking is real and it is for now.
There is still the 1.65 volt question.
If someone wants an AMD cpu he has to wait for the ClawHammer cpu or he must buy now a P4 NorthWood cpu instead.

his sig:
Cheap, cheap, think cheap... and you'll always be cheap.
AMD version of semi conductor industry.

He thinks that AMD has a market theory which could be:
AMD is always thinking to make cheapest cpu and by the way AMD has well implemented it and well succeed.

hope this could help.

G

maybe 0.13 micron instead of 0.18 micron may give a little clue.
plus moreover the new vCore voltage and the transistors quantity difference between both cpu.

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Blackhorse, if you have limited budget, just buy XP now, and later, as Eden has said, you will be able to buy Barton(still socket A). Probably you will spend the same money, maybe a little bit more. But if you want to overclock the procesor a lot and don't mind CPU's company, buy P4 1.6A.

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself! [smile]

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Eden, friend, I know a thing or two about semiconductors, but I am not a magician or a psychic, and I dont know what average temp you should expect :)
then don't you think you're jumping the gun a bit to speak of the Tbred's overclocking prowess?
So far it aint looking that good... admittedly all early tests are not on the shipping product, but...
I sincerely hope any problems are caused by a lack of focus, ie: AMD is prepping the hammer and neglecting the tbred.
still, hammer is 6 months away at its best. The Northwood has the potential to kick AMD's ass, they NEED to crank out the tbreds quick.

<i>The early bird gets the worm but the second moust gets the cheese.</i>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
then don't you think you're jumping the gun a bit to speak of the Tbred's overclocking prowess?

Not at all, I listed my logical reasons for my prediciton and STILL await any reason why it wouldnt be so(honestly, if the tbred dosent oc like I predict I will spend days trying to acertain why, cause logically it should).

I work in the industry, its one thing to make a prediction based on previous die shrinks etc using logic, it is totally different to be asked what the running temp of a cpu not out yet will be.

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Not at all, I listed my logical reasons for my prediciton and STILL await any reason why it wouldnt be so
i have certainly missed an episode but what are they?

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...