Sandstorm: sand shaper spells known

The Desert Insight class feature says the character gains "knowledge of
additional spells [...] If you are a spontaneous caster (such as a
sorcerer), these spells are available to you like any other spell you
know."

It then proceeds to list some 40 spells over 9 levels, including stuff
like bull's strength, cat's grace and bear's endurance as 1st-level
spells!

OK, you do miss out on a spellcasting level when you enter the class,
and another one at 9th level, but isn't this a bit too much for a
sorcerer?

The description even mentions that wizards enter the class more often
than sorcerers because sorcerers have to buy cross-class knowledge
(nature) ranks. For some 40-ish new spells known, I don't think it's
that much of a cost!

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> The Desert Insight class feature says the character gains "knowledge of
> additional spells [...] If you are a spontaneous caster (such as a
> sorcerer), these spells are available to you like any other spell you
> know."

What is the reference for this class? Are you talking about a feat?

> It then proceeds to list some 40 spells over 9 levels, including stuff
> like bull's strength, cat's grace and bear's endurance as 1st-level
> spells!
>
> OK, you do miss out on a spellcasting level when you enter the class,
> and another one at 9th level, but isn't this a bit too much for a
> sorcerer?
>
> The description even mentions that wizards enter the class more often
> than sorcerers because sorcerers have to buy cross-class knowledge
> (nature) ranks. For some 40-ish new spells known, I don't think it's
> that much of a cost!

Looks promising for soc. If it's balanced, perhaps there can be other
environment Insights-- Mountain, forest, urban.

In article <E7ete.41$Kk4.11857@news20.bellglobal.com>,
shawn_roske@sympatico.ca says...

> > The Desert Insight class feature says the character gains "knowledge of
> > additional spells [...] If you are a spontaneous caster (such as a
> > sorcerer), these spells are available to you like any other spell you
> > know."
>
> What is the reference for this class? Are you talking about a feat?

Desert insight is a class feature of the sand shaper prestige class from
Sandstorm. I thought the subject made it clear, really. :0

> > It then proceeds to list some 40 spells over 9 levels, including stuff
> > like bull's strength, cat's grace and bear's endurance as 1st-level
> > spells!
> >
> > OK, you do miss out on a spellcasting level when you enter the class,
> > and another one at 9th level, but isn't this a bit too much for a
> > sorcerer?
> >
> > The description even mentions that wizards enter the class more often
> > than sorcerers because sorcerers have to buy cross-class knowledge
> > (nature) ranks. For some 40-ish new spells known, I don't think it's
> > that much of a cost!
>
> Looks promising for soc.

"Promising" is an understatment, I think...

> If it's balanced, perhaps there can be other
> environment Insights-- Mountain, forest, urban.

Sure. But is it?

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> shawn_roske@sympatico.ca wrote:
>
>> If it's balanced, perhaps there can be other
>> environment Insights-- Mountain, forest, urban.
>
> Sure. But is it?

Look at the alternative - do you think that simply adding these spells to a
sorcerer's class list is "good enough"?

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you

Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the
leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked,
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to
danger. It works the same in any country.

Christopher Adams wrote:
> Jasin Zujovic wrote:
>
>>shawn_roske@sympatico.ca wrote:
>>

>>>If it's balanced, perhaps there can be other
>>>environment Insights-- Mountain, forest, urban.
>>
>>Sure. But is it?
>

> Look at the alternative - do you think that simply adding these spells to a
> sorcerer's class list is "good enough"?

I'd also remind you that since the sorcerer will be suffering a few hits
from his overall spellcasting power. He'll know 2 or 3 fewer of his
highest level spells, and be casting 3-4 fewer of those highest level
spells per day. Sure, he's getting a significant benenfit in combat and
combat-utility spells, but overall he'll be running short on some
horsepower.

I see it like this. The sorcerer will sometimes enjoy the benefit of
that extra flexibility. He will always have fewer spells, and when he
does burn through his spell allotment, he will really feel the pinch.
Basically, I see it as him gaining on the low-end, but paying on the
high end.

In article <Jtmte.23144$F7.22998@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid says...

> >> If it's balanced, perhaps there can be other
> >> environment Insights-- Mountain, forest, urban.
> >
> > Sure. But is it?
>
> Look at the alternative - do you think that simply adding these spells to a
> sorcerer's class list is "good enough"?

Well... not really. They're all cool and appropriate spells (shooting
cones of abrasive sand &c.), but not really better (with a few
exceptions, such as physical stat buffs as 1st-level spells) than
anything a sorcerer gets already. And the sand shaper does lose two
spellcasting levels...

But adding them too spells known seems like it might easily be too good.

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr