Sign in with
Your question

Why don't we see AMD commercials???

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 3, 2002 4:28:53 PM

Why is it that the second largest CPU manufacturer(i know they make more than just CPU's) doesn't have any commercials? I bet that 70% of the population hasn't even heard of AMD. Do they not sell to the OEM market? Please excuse me if I seem very stupid about AMD but I did just buy my first socket A mobo just a couple of weeks ago. I love that these proc are so much cheaper and have comparable performance to Intel. I guess my big question is why isn't AMD known more widely?

:tongue: <font color=red>When overclocking always be sure to wear clean underwear!</font color=red>' :tongue:

More about : amd commercials

May 3, 2002 4:46:35 PM

I don't know if this is true, but I don't think AMD has very good relations with most OEM sellers. For example, I know for sure that Compaq and Alienware sell AMD systems, but IBM, Dell, and don't. Those are the largest PC sellers along with Compaq. Those smaller sellers like Alienware, Falcon NW and Voodoo I think also sell AMD systems, but they only make up a very small portion of the market. Dell has I think nearly 1/4 of the PC market in the US and they sell solely Intel powered sytems, although they have started showing interest in Hammer, and they are now pushing Intel to produce Yamhill.

My firewall tastes like burning. :eek: 
May 3, 2002 5:13:13 PM

The big OEM's tend to have business models that require them to have some ammount of parts in stock for each system before they sell it. AMD was unable to meet this demand for many of these OEM's, mostly due to their less than stellar manufacturing capabilities (raw numbers, not poor quality). If AMD truely wants to be a larger force in the market, they need to be able to push out more CPUs.

I want to be your Opteron... Why don't you call my name - Peter Gabriel?
Related resources
May 3, 2002 5:15:53 PM

probably because they don't have the budget to do so. AMD has a certain amount if any allocated to advertising. They probably cut that too just so they can put more resources into R&D. But the real reason is that if i remember Intel has a 1 billion dollar a year advertisemnt budget which AMD can't compete with.

right? i'm not sure so ... but i believe thats why .. AMD doesn't have the cash to run 30 million dollar commercials.

i think anyway heh ...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
May 3, 2002 5:49:15 PM

Nice sig Chuck232!!!! Wow I guess AMD needs to try to get their "proverbial" foot in the door with Dell and IBM. Otherwise I guess it's up to us little guys to spread the word about AMD!!!

:tongue: <font color=red>When overclocking always be sure to wear clean underwear!</font color=red>' :tongue:
May 3, 2002 6:39:30 PM

This is probably why they have made their partnership with UMC, so that they could increase production. Intel's many fabs is just too much for AMD to compete with by itself, so they get a dedicated fab company to help them.

May 3, 2002 6:50:55 PM

Amd doesn't need to Advertise the [-peep-] out of there product to get sales like other company's!

This Community is like a Second Family!!
May 3, 2002 6:59:54 PM

Quote:
probably because they don't have the budget to do so. AMD has a certain amount if any allocated to advertising. They probably cut that too just so they can put more resources into R&D. But the real reason is that if i remember Intel has a 1 billion dollar a year advertisemnt budget which AMD can't compete with.

I think Intel had, last year, about 27 billion in revenues and about 2 billion in net income. That's way over AMD's almost 4 billion in revs and lost about 5 million. Intel has sooo much more muscle than AMD, but this debate has already been proven.

May 3, 2002 7:02:46 PM

Thanks! I read something about firewalls yesterday and I was like "Hey I got an idea!" It's my first sig and I'm proud of it. Us "little guys" are gonna find it kinda hard to inform 80% of the computer buying population. Intel is just so dominant. Hopefully Hammer will help out AMD a bit.

May 3, 2002 7:04:12 PM

Well, it seems like advertisement works to an extent since Intel has 80% and AMD has 20%. I think those numbers speak for themselves.

May 3, 2002 7:27:30 PM

1. AMD does not have the money to produce TV commercials.
2. As soon as AMD processors are out of the fab they are pretty much sold to sold to OEM's within a day or less.
3. If AMD started advertising on TV they would not be able to keep up with demand due to limited production capabilities.

4. The reason why Intel has to advertise is to ensure that they drum up enough demand from business and public to ensure thier huge fabs are kept busy enough to stop maintainace costs of these bulidings eating into thier profits.

Currently Intel has more than enough production capacity and the downturn in desktop CPU's has meant not all thier fabs are running at full production effcieny, since there is no demand to fulfill. If Intel stopped advertising one or two of thier fabs would have to be made redundant, hence thier need for advertising is greater than AMD's.
In contrast AMD is running at full capacity and does not need to advertise since it won't be able to keep up with demand anyway.

<font color=purple>Ladies and Gentlemen, its...Hammer Time !</font color=purple>
May 3, 2002 7:52:48 PM

Ive seen (and walked around) in AMDs advetising department. Let me tell you - its small. They simply dont have the budget for big time advertising. Their ads are typically for magazines and even then they dont run alot of them
You may see more advertising for Hammer. But I doubt it. AMD is getting ready to lay off a LOT of people. This lay off is in addition to the one they had less than a year ago.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.
May 3, 2002 8:03:46 PM

AMD is barely keeping ahead of current demand for their chips, and can't increase production much more. Given that, why advertise? People get upset when you can't provide a product, and it would hurt if they couldn't meet demand.

May 3, 2002 8:51:01 PM

I can't even stand Intel's ads. Would you really want to see/hear an Ad from the company that came up with "Opteron?"
May 3, 2002 8:54:25 PM

Quote:
Would you really want to see/hear an Ad from the company that came up with "Opteron?"

I would expect it to have a "Spectre Man" or "Power Rangers" like quality to it. Maybe with a bit of Flash Gordon too.

:eek:  NO GOOD CAN COME OF THIS :eek: 

May 3, 2002 10:13:47 PM

If you ever watch a European football/soccer match you will see that virtually every televised match has AMD signage in the stadium.

Now... what is the most popular sport in the world... football/soccer!

As a modern techno-male the only TV I watch is sport with the rest of my potential TV watching time being used on the PC/Internet. So would advertising on TV actually reach me?

AMD has had massive market share gains particularly in mainland Europe. In the next 3-5 years AMD will attain market parity with Intel in this market.

<font color=blue> The Opteration was a success... I'm now a full-wit</font color=blue> :eek: 
May 3, 2002 10:52:05 PM

I think that AMD already has more than half the market in Japan. Also in China, it won't let some large PC makers into their market. For example Dell isn't allowed to sell it's computers in China.

May 4, 2002 2:01:55 AM

>> Also in China, it won't let some large PC makers into their market. For example Dell isn't allowed to sell it's computers in China.

This is absolutely wrong info!
May 4, 2002 2:18:31 AM

OK let me see if I can find that news article.

May 4, 2002 2:22:41 AM

Quote:
Both Microsoft and Dell thus have barriers to entry in the biggest growing marketplace in the world.

The page is <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/30040206.htm" target="_new">here</A>. It states that both Dell and MS have a barrier to entry to the world's largest market, China.

a b à CPUs
May 4, 2002 2:24:01 AM

Advertising would help AMD sell more processors. This is a problem for AMD, who cannot afford to grow any faster. The last time they had commercials, demand increased so fast that they really NEEDED a new FAB. The new FAB cost so much that investors SUED them for spending the money on it. The new FAB has prooved instrumental in delivering faster products to the market, so it truely was needed. But investors being stupid about such things as sales growth, AMD is always looking over their shoulders at them making sure they don't make any truely good decisions ever again.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
May 4, 2002 2:35:35 AM

So after hearing some of these comments and points, I get the feeling that unless Intel really screws themselves up, AMD will never really become andy stronger than they are now. If AMD can't increase production because they are physically incapable, and they can't increase their production facilities because they don't have the money or the consent of shareholders, then they're going to be going around in an endless circle. The only way they'll get more money is by selling more chips, but they can't sell more chips cause they don't have the capacity to keep up, so they won't get more money. The only real way AMD can get a new fab going is by cutting costs more and creating some equity. But since they've already cut costs substantially, it'll be extra hard. So basically AMD is gonna be stuck in a rut for a long while and after that, they'll either expand or collapse... Seems pretty grim huh? It's kinda unlikely that AMD will outperform Intel that much, so.... They'll probably just stay around the same as they are now, but it really seems unlikely that AMD will ever surpass Intel.

May 4, 2002 2:43:13 AM

AMD does have the funds for marketing & advertising...but it's just not wise considering their position in the market. Because they don't have contracts with many of the mainstream producers, advertising would be mostly a waste. Many of AMD's customer's are the more educated consumers, where as those who buy the crap-fabs (compaq, dell, HP) just want a computer, and often don't know how to surf upon opening the system. I'm sure I'll get some flame on this one...but it's true, MOST of Dell&other's customers aren't savvy, and just want some name to back up their purchase. Even if they're relatively avid users, they don't have a clue what's inside. Of course, there are few exceptions.

So why blow money on advertising? I enjoy the savings I get from them not doing this. And there's plenty of time left in the silicon timeline. Anything can still happen.

DIM POST, STUPID
POST = INPUT $X
STUPID = PEEK 420, 255
IF POST >= STUPID, THEN GOTO H3LL
May 4, 2002 3:45:41 AM

I donot need to see your link. The following is the Chinese Dell website, from where you can order PC just like in US.

http://www.ap.dell.com/ap/cn/zh/bsd/default.htm

Well, thanks for offering the inquirer link which claims Dell has trouble entering China macket. What kind of BS site inquirer is!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by castle on 05/03/02 11:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b à CPUs
May 4, 2002 4:11:30 AM

If they gain market share too quickly they risk another price war or MHz race with Intel, neither would be profitable in the short term, which is all these investors are looking at. So they hold back intentionally.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
May 4, 2002 4:26:43 AM

Quote:
AMD will never really become andy stronger than they are now. If AMD can't increase production because they are physically incapable,

They are forming partnerships with large fab firms to offload some of the work, they can grow, just not all at once.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
May 4, 2002 9:48:04 AM

where do you live? In Malaysia, they'll advertise in the local newspapers once in a while but rarely. But I've noticed that there are a lot of ads on AMD based PCs and ads by AMD themselves in PC magazines from the US.

:cool: :eek:  :redface: :frown: :lol:  :mad:  :eek:  :smile: :tongue: :wink:
May 4, 2002 12:35:40 PM

intel relies much on image to sell processors, e.g. people will recognise the P4 logo on a computer from an advert so be more inclined to buy it.

Amd rely more on having a more cost effective/value for money processor, e.g. people will recognise the lower price and similar performance

therefore advertising for Amd would not really help them, if AMD released a killer processor that beat intel hands down, then advertised this, intel would reduce prices to keep up sales, and (because intel is so much bigger) they would blow AMD out the water.

thus Amd doesnt move ahead of intel in the processor speed game, and doesnt need the advertising.

I need a 1.5 Ghz Athlon + 512mb ddr ram to write emails......honestly
May 4, 2002 2:17:50 PM

Looks like the only way that AMD will grow is to have another huge corporation to buy AMD and keep their name. A corporation which has as much money or more than Intel. Although it is not a guarantee that any corporation would stay true to AMD's original focus, which is to deliver high performance for low cost. But maybe Intel can be kicked off of their high horse if that happened!!

May 4, 2002 2:38:20 PM

I think AMD will try to gradually increase their market share with innovations (hammer) and purchases of smaller firms until they are on more equal turf with intel, but i dont think they could ever topple intel. it would be nice to see intel 'kicked off their high horse', but; (1) it wont happen within the next million years, (2) intel have earned their place at the top.

I need a 1.5 Ghz Athlon + 512mb ddr ram to write emails......honestly
May 4, 2002 3:48:46 PM

It was tough for AMD to have come into the chip market a couple years behind Intel, who already had a large lead by then. Also they kinda got off to a rocky start which allowed Intel to further solidify their lead. But with the introduction of Athlon, it kinda scared Intel and showed them that they weren't invincible. I think one of the reasons AMD has caught up a bit in the past few years are for the following reasons:

1. They have come out with continually superior CPUs, that are able to topple the contemporary Intel ones, for the most part.(although next monday should bring the new 533 FSB chips, which should help out a bit, especially with the new PC1066 RDRAM, although I'm not sure whether they will be announced or not)

2. They sell for cheaper which is good for many people.

3. The past few years, people have experienced a large tech slowdown and market crash, which all means that less money is reaching peoples' pockets. Therefore, they are buying smarter and looking and doing more research before making purchases. This is, for the most part, good for AMD and bad for Intel. I predict when we exit this slowdown that Intel will gain back some market share, until Hammer comes, then it's a whole new story. If Hammer is a success and many of the big OEMs start to use AMD chips, then I think that will be AMD first big step towards gaining more market. If it isn't a success, then AMD will probably be back where they are, or maybe even further behind, since Hammer is supposed to be their next-gen chip.

May 4, 2002 5:32:42 PM

without advertising the people wont know AMD, the place i live only 5% or maybe less of people know or heard about AMD, even computer resellers are not willing to deal with AMD as they say that no one is even asking about AMD, therefore AMD needs to make ADs so more people will know and more people will ask and more people will buy.

I know the agent of AMD in my country and he is my freind, he sufferes from resellers who refuse to buy AMD cpus, the guy is doing his best but no one is intersted except some people whoo buy it for the low price and better knowledge people who surf the net and find the facts of AMD is better than Intel price/performance. one day i was sitting with him in his office, a reseller came so he offered him nice offer for AMD cpus but that man said, sorry no one is asking about AMD and i can not invest on something wont be sold, i tried to tell him about the advantages of AMD and lower price but he keep refusing, the case is the same for other resellers and maybe for other countries.

i believe now the time is for advertising, so the people will always see you and you will remain in their mind and thus when the time come they will ask about you.

do you think that GM needs to make ADs? they are famous and well known around the world, but why they advertise? because of the competition and continues new products, the same is for many other products.

Therefore do not believe without advertising AMD will can do alot, specially for non OEM (individual people). When i go and ask DELL or IBM if they have AMD and many others ask the same, DELL and IBM will think twice to sell AMD based systems, but since no one is asking them or maybe few people then they wont bother themselves since they have strong relation with INTEL and strong sells for their products, but when they receive many requests and quesries for AMD based system, the matter will be different.

I can not believe that a company do not have enoug money for advertising, if so then it is better they close and go home. but i really do not know why they are not advertising, also another point, some of you said that maybe they do not advertise so they wont be able to fulfill with the growing demands for cpus, maybe but i do not think so.

seems that AMD is ignoring and/or have bad marketing dept, or maybe they need every buck they earn for other things important than advertising and marketing stuff? is this possible? well if this is the case then where are the earnings of the cpus they sell? assuming that they are working in full capacity?

we really need someone to get an answer from AMD and let us know.

wish if there was UnDo in the life
May 4, 2002 5:51:56 PM

i agree, the computer hardware market in general is highly elastic, amd have been trying fairly unsuccessfully to exploit this. Amd need computer manufacturers to start advertising that their computers have 'Athlon inside', so people start to learn the name, maybe the hammer will give manufacturers the confidence to advertise AMD cpus in their computers, i am sure they can make a big deal out of the 'next generation 64 bit' issue.

I need a 1.5 Ghz Athlon + 512mb ddr ram to write emails......honestly<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by m_c_hammer on 05/04/02 01:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
May 6, 2002 7:35:00 PM

I remember two AMD commercials. It must have been back in 1999 or 2000.

It showed two people skydiving. The parachutes were sort of like graphic images and one skydiver was using Intel, the other was using AMD. The one with the AMD chip was able to have a parachute, the other was given that progress box with the bar graph, and the phrase "still processing".

The other commercial had a similar idea, but with a hero using AMD and a villain using Intel.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=87962" target="_new">My Rigs </A>
May 6, 2002 8:03:38 PM

Quote:
I can not believe that a company do not have enoug money for advertising, if so then it is better they close and go home. but i really do not know why they are not advertising, also another point, some of you said that maybe they do not advertise so they wont be able to fulfill with the growing demands for cpus, maybe but i do not think so.

AMD has been operating with losses in revenue. Maybe they just can't afford to advertize, but IMO they just don't want to yet. They can't afford to really tick off Intel, because they don't have a large enough share of the market to be able to stand toe-to-toe with them. Once they start eating away enough of the market, I'm sure they'll come out with guns blazing (that's assuming that the Hammer and future products really steal the show and they don't have any manufacturing problems).
May 6, 2002 8:22:03 PM

Its great that AMD can not compete with Intel. The day they can there pricing will reflect that. The people in the know about computers know that AMD is just as good as Intel or better and a whole lot cheaper. Lets keep it that way.

Scott
May 7, 2002 12:44:56 AM

Because there are broke losing money and losing money

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie
May 7, 2002 2:01:13 AM

Why would they advertise when they can't manufacture any more CPU's to sell.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
May 7, 2002 3:37:44 AM

I rememnber that commercial.. it was damn funny.

I look at it all this way. Look at the price difference in the Athlon XP's and the P4's. There is where AMD cannot afford to advertise like Intel. But more advertising doesnt always make the public fonder. Look at the amount of advertising for the Microsoft X'Box. Any video game store has a lot of it out, and probably a few shelves in the back devoted to things bearing the X box logo. But look at the sales.

But then MS has only just ventured into the consol market. AMD is a long survivor in the CPU market.

Only time will tell. Vote with your wallet here folks, its the only way things will work.

Once I thought, then I <A HREF="http://www.warroom.com" target="_new">learned</A>
!