3d Labs P10: comment here

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Read the article over at Anandtech.. looks like truly promising architecture. Potential for 64-bit color depth, more efficient pipe, and kind of anti-aliasing you want etc etc....
When/If they get full directX 9 compliance, i predict this chip will be a heavy contender in the graphics market. A 3-way race with Nvidia and ATI would be nice. Competition helps innovation and price.
Good work 3d-labs ( and to creative labs who will make the consumer card).

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i dont really see 3d labs making much of an impact. with 3 players in the game, buyers will be split 3 ways, that makes it more difficult for each of the 3 to make a proffit. its like the movie industry, one big blockbuster makes all the money opening weekend, but if there are two or three equaly great movies, none will be head and shoulders above the rest.

you shot who in the what now?

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
I think this is the 'Something big is about to happen' announcement that we were all speculating about in SanFrancisco..welcome back creative Labs/3D Labs the competition in the 3D Graphics arena is about to hot up !

<font color=purple>Ladies and Gentlemen, its...Hammer Time !</font color=purple>

M_C_Hammer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
More competition is always good, at the moment we have a duopoly between ati and nvidia, if there are companies entering the market with cheaper OR better products, the only way ati and nvidia will keep up their sales is by reducing prices and releasing more competitive products.

also 20GB/s memory bandwidth, isnt that twice that of the best geforce 4? sweet.

I need a 1.5 Ghz Athlon + 512mb ddr ram to write emails......honestly

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Just cause it has 256bit DDR or something like that. I'm sure if it actually does come out, NVidia and ATi will be there ready to counter it with either FireGL or Quadro cards. They said that this thing would cost half you life's savings so I kinda doubt they'll really be a success with us single customers. Maybe to businesses it's a good idea but who'd spend $1000 to get a video card? I know I wouldn't. They'll probably come out with a castrated version like 128bit DDR and a 350MHz core and 128MB RAM. That'll put it right in the ballpark with the GF4s, but by that time NV30/R300 will be out and will be a lot cheaper than the high end workstation type card, but will outperform easily the castrated version. So as I see it, it'll be sweet for anyone who can get their hands on one of these babies, but I really doubt many will have the moola to do so.

My firewall tastes like burning. :eek:

M_C_Hammer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
good point, but at least it means the technology is there to be exploited for us mortals eventually

I need a 1.5 Ghz Athlon + 512mb ddr ram to write emails......honestly

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah, but for us, that's like doubling our system cost... that's quite a bit for an average home user who plays some computer games. As I said, it'll be great for those who can afford it, but I think the market will be greater if they also had a less powerful version to compete with NV30 and R300.

My firewall tastes like burning. :eek: