xp cpu upgrade problems

Hello, this is my first post ever on THG. This is a really long problem so just please bear with me. Yesterday I just upgraded my homebuilt pc to an Athlon XP 1900+ Processor from a 1.0Ghz thunderbird.
The rest of my system specs are:

Noise Control Silverado (12v)
DFI Ak-76-SN
256MB Crucial DDR 266 CL2.
Western Digital Caviar 15.0 GB ata 66/7200rpm
Hp 8x12x32 cd burner
Creative labs 16x DVD
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
Asus TnT2 Ultra
Kingston Ethernet (model 120 something)
Aopen 250w Athlon approved power supply
Win2k sp2

All I changed from the previous configuration was the processor. The system will usually boot normally and runs at a normal temperature (95-107F). When I get into windows is where everything falls apart. Sometimes after I log in a blue screen appears with some random error message. Most of the time however I can get to the desktop and everything is fine. I can watch DVDs, listen to mp3s, and write emails to my hearts desire with no problems. The problem seems to be caused when I start up Seti@home client. After 15-30 seconds the system will lock up, reboot, or blue screen then reboot. So I tried another program to put my processor under 100% load and the same thing happened. Before the upgrade I never had problems with my system. Do I need to give my new CPU some break in time before I put it under 100% constant load? Or is there something else here that I am missing? BTW I always make sure that I have the latest drivers, updates, bios verisons, and latest Norton virus files.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rainchill on 05/04/02 01:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
7 answers Last reply
More about upgrade problems
  1. I don't care who approved that power supply, you'll need a GOOD quality larger unit to run that processor, probably 300W would do now, but since you might like to upgrade other things later such as the video card, the least I can recommend is a 350W Enermax unit. If you like Antec, lol, you'll probably need 400W.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
  2. Crashmans right your power supply is not adequate.
  3. Did you update your bios? If not click here:
    http://www.dfi.com/support1/dlShow2.asp

If that doesn't work try a more adequate power supply.

If that still doesn't work change CAS latency to 2.5 or 3 in BIOS.

I can't think of a good signature so I'll use this one.
  4. Thanks guys. I can't believe I didn't think of this one. I unplugged all unnecessary disk drives and took out all the cards I could. It has been running for 3 hours under 100% load.
  5. Black Cat that wasn't clickable!! lol
  6. Did you reinstall your OS?

"Just the facts ma'am"
  7. huh ?! problem solved baby, go home .

:)

Any mystery devised by mortal mind can be solved therewith
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Windows XP