Hey guys, I'd be really greatful if you could help me with this, as I'm not too knowledgeable about laptops, I'm trying to learn though. Basically I'm getting a laptop for college, so I'll be doing everything on it. Mainly watching tv shows, but a bit of gaming would be good as well. Thanks a lot for any assistance
1. What is your budget?
£500 - £800
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
3. What screen resolution do you want?
at least 1600x900
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Uhm not so sure about this. Basically it will replace my desktop pc
5. How much battery life do you need?
Not really an issue
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Dota 2 (high) and possibly mass effect 3
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Watching lots of shows and movies, so a good screen is stop priority
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD is fine
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Not knowledgeable enough to answer this
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I haven't seen any reqs for dota2, if you have can you link them please?
I think you're looking for a laptop with i7 and at least a 540M, but for your budget you will probably be able to get something like 6770/5850 or GTX460/560
One thing to consider is that you might not need such killer graphics, then I would look for a laptop that offers SSD or buy a cheaper laptop with small HDD and something like 540M and then purchase and install SSD yourself.
Good companies to look at
Asus, MSI, Sager, Alienware < those are gaming brand laptops
all the other (regular) companies will probably have a million other consumer models with similar hardware, so I'm not going to list those.