Dell and Default Browser

My default browser is Mozilla.

Went to the Dell Alert website (to help a friend who
couldn't find something) and when I clicked on 'what to do
before downloading SP2'), it opened in an IE window.

Anyone one how to make Dell respond to my default browser?

TIA
--

Rex's Mom

Rex's Mom <labsrgreat@invalid.com> wrote:

>My default browser is Mozilla.
>
>Went to the Dell Alert website (to help a friend who
>couldn't find something) and when I clicked on 'what to do
>before downloading SP2'), it opened in an IE window.
>
>Anyone one how to make Dell respond to my default browser?

Did you happen to notice the URL the Dell Alert website forwarded
to you that insisted on opening in an IE window? It may well
have been part of the Microsoft Windows Update site, which, AIUI,
can only be accessed using IE.
--
OJ III

Microsoft's Windows Update web sites will only respond to Windows Explorer.
That's one of the very few reasons to use IE. Otherwise, you are right on the
money. Continue to use Mozilla, except when updating Windows or Office.

.... Ben Myers

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

> Rex's Mom <labsrgreat@invalid.com> wrote:
>

>>My default browser is Mozilla.
>>
>>Went to the Dell Alert website (to help a friend who
>>couldn't find something) and when I clicked on 'what to do
>>before downloading SP2'), it opened in an IE window.
>>
>>Anyone one how to make Dell respond to my default browser?
>

> Did you happen to notice the URL the Dell Alert website forwarded
> to you that insisted on opening in an IE window? It may well
> have been part of the Microsoft Windows Update site, which, AIUI,
> can only be accessed using IE.

Here is the URL. It may have more on the end, but...

You are correct that Windows update site is only accessible
with IE, but this gives the impressions that it is a Dell site!

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090437&st=91XQK21&segID=5DS&appindex=DS

--

Rex's Mom

This is the URL. One would think that if it purports to be
Dell, then the IE manadatory should not be an issue. I guess
the Dell Support area is too totally integrated with IE.

Ben Myers wrote:

> Microsoft's Windows Update web sites will only respond to Windows Explorer.
> That's one of the very few reasons to use IE. Otherwise, you are right on the
> money. Continue to use Mozilla, except when updating Windows or Office.
and I try to avoid doing either!

I have not actually installed SP2 because of the reported
problems with other applications. Since Moz. is so much
safer, thank you very much, I'll stay in that world.

--

Rex's Mom

"Rex's Mom" <labsrgreat@invalid.com> wrote in message
> This is the URL. One would think that if it purports to be Dell, then the
> IE manadatory should not be an issue. I guess the Dell Support area is too
> totally integrated with IE.
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090437&st=91XQK21&segID=5DS&appindex=DS

<snip>

I just accessed the URL using Firefox (Mozilla).

Stew

I pasted the URL into Mozilla and it went there just fine. Likewise, when I
pasted the URL into the Run dialog box, up popped Mozilla. I use the Dell
Support regularly, and it is perfectly happy with Mozilla. Same with accessing
the URLs on that page. Not sure what's going on with your system... Ben Myers

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:

>Rex's Mom <labsrgreat@invalid.com> wrote:

>>This is the URL. One would think that if it purports to be
>>Dell, then the IE manadatory should not be an issue. I guess
>>the Dell Support area is too totally integrated with IE.
>>
>>http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090437&st=91XQK21&segID=5DS&appindex=DS

>I pasted the URL into Mozilla and it went there just fine. Likewise, when I
>pasted the URL into the Run dialog box, up popped Mozilla. I use the Dell
>Support regularly, and it is perfectly happy with Mozilla. Same with accessing
>the URLs on that page. Not sure what's going on with your system... Ben Myers

And I will be of no further help, since everything opens fine in
IE, which is what I [gasp!!!!!] use. A possible redirect to
http://www.microsoft.com/something from the Dell page was the
only suggestion I could offer, which Rex's Mom has put paid to.
--
OJ III

OK, now I am completely baffled and am hoping you can assist.

First I click on the icon on my systray (near the clock)
which is Dell Support Alerts. It brings up a page without a
URL which has a list of Alerts to the left.

Then I click on Windows XP Service Pack 2 Info, which brings
me to another page (similar to first) which has a 'click
here to learn more about SP2 and how to prepare for the
upgrade'.

Once I click on that link, that is when I go to the URL and IE.

Any clues?

Since it seems to work for you, how do you initially go to
Dell Support?

Thanks.

Rex's Mom

--

> OK, now I am completely baffled and am hoping you can assist.
>
> First I click on the icon on my systray (near the clock) which is Dell
> Support Alerts. It brings up a page without a URL which has a list of
> Alerts to the left.
>
> Then I click on Windows XP Service Pack 2 Info, which brings me to another
> page (similar to first) which has a 'click here to learn more about SP2
> and how to prepare for the upgrade'.
>
> Once I click on that link, that is when I go to the URL and IE.
>
> Any clues?
>
> Since it seems to work for you, how do you initially go to Dell Support?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Rex's Mom

Obviously at that point of changeover, the link is somehow scripted or has a
file association with IE. I wouldn't worry about it, or simply copy the URL
over to Mozilla manually.

The reason I'm not having this issue is (probably) I'm not attempting it
with a Dell and with the "Dell Support" software installed.

You're going to have to use IE for the updates in any event.

Stew

S.Lewis wrote:
> "Rex's Mom" <labsrgreat@invalid.com> wrote in message
>
>>OK, now I am completely baffled and am hoping you can assist.
>>
>>First I click on the icon on my systray (near the clock) which is Dell
>>Support Alerts. It brings up a page without a URL which has a list of
>>Alerts to the left.
>>
>>Then I click on Windows XP Service Pack 2 Info, which brings me to another
>>page (similar to first) which has a 'click here to learn more about SP2
>>and how to prepare for the upgrade'.
>>
>>Once I click on that link, that is when I go to the URL and IE.
>>
>>Any clues?
>>
>>Since it seems to work for you, how do you initially go to Dell Support?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Rex's Mom
>>

> Obviously at that point of changeover, the link is somehow scripted or has a
> file association with IE. I wouldn't worry about it, or simply copy the URL
> over to Mozilla manually.
>
> The reason I'm not having this issue is (probably) I'm not attempting it
> with a Dell and with the "Dell Support" software installed.
>
> You're going to have to use IE for the updates in any event.
>

> Stew

Thanks to all who replied. I guess I'll just add it to 'the
list' of things which don't perform the way I expect!

--

> S.Lewis wrote:
>> "Rex's Mom" <labsrgreat@invalid.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>OK, now I am completely baffled and am hoping you can assist.
>>>
>>>First I click on the icon on my systray (near the clock) which is Dell
>>>Support Alerts. It brings up a page without a URL which has a list of
>>>Alerts to the left.
>>>
>>>Then I click on Windows XP Service Pack 2 Info, which brings me to
>>>another page (similar to first) which has a 'click here to learn more
>>>about SP2 and how to prepare for the upgrade'.
>>>
>>>Once I click on that link, that is when I go to the URL and IE.
>>>
>>>Any clues?
>>>
>>>Since it seems to work for you, how do you initially go to Dell Support?
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>Rex's Mom
>>>

>> Obviously at that point of changeover, the link is somehow scripted or
>> has a file association with IE. I wouldn't worry about it, or simply
>> copy the URL over to Mozilla manually.
>>
>> The reason I'm not having this issue is (probably) I'm not attempting it
>> with a Dell and with the "Dell Support" software installed.
>>
>> You're going to have to use IE for the updates in any event.
>>

>> Stew
> Thanks to all who replied. I guess I'll just add it to 'the list' of
> things which don't perform the way I expect!
>
> --
>
> Rex's Mom

Yes. One of those oddities that are an annoyance more than anything.

Most any system has some odd quirk that's not readily explained.

Stew