Elaine_17

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Hello,
This is my first laptop and is in addition to my desktop, can I receive my e-mails on both devices? My desktop uses windows XP and my laptop is windows 7.

1) It is NOT recommended to include a private email address in a public formum.

2) Yes, you can recieve your email on different computers, althoug I would recommend that you only download to ONE computer. For example My wife and myself have home desktops that are set to recieve email. However when on travel or vacation we use laptop or tablet to view emails.
If Both computers are se to recieve emails when you view, say from laptop away from home then you will NOT be able to view later from HOME. This depends on how client server is setup. If totaly cloud based - not a problem.

Xp had built in outlook express, Windows 7 DOES not come bundled with an email client, you need to install either:
1) uSoft Live email" or
2) Use a free 3rd party app such as thunderbird, or
3) If you have the more expensive versuin of uSoft office, you can use Outlook (NOT outlook express) and last but not least
4) My wife hates change, she was using Vista WinMail, so when she switched to Win 7 I ported over Vista Winmail. MORE involved than options 1 ->3.

you can also go to www.live.com and download microsofts replacement email client, i struggled to get it, or thunderbird to work sensibly.

Elaine_17

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013

Thank you

Elaine_17

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013

thank you ... I have been logging on to webmail, my desktop uses outlook express and and makes receiving mail very easy, one click and that's it. thanks for the advice

mcnumpty23 - Outlook is not available on all versions of uSoft office, It's only available on the higher priced versions. I was lucky, work gave me a free copy of uSoffice office enterprise.
Was not encluded in my "home/student" version.

So my desktop has Outlook and since I have cox as a Internet provider and away from Home I use cox webmail which allows reading, deleting and answering emails. But if I do not delete it i still available for downloading when I get home. Depending on your internet provider, the same would be available with outlook express.
As I indicated, it's no problem using either or system to work with email, it's just aquestion of how the email is stored/treated at the server end (Internet provider)

Elaine_17

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013

Thank you for your helpful suggestions.