I have 16GB of Ram. still getting "System low on memory error."

rs2k

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I get this message when I still have 6+ GB of RAM available. I notice the Free RAM gets low in the task manager though. It seems like the RAM being used for cache isn't freeing itself. Any ideas on what I can do? I really doubt adding more RAM will fix the problem since the cache will eat it up as well.

JustLurking

Distinguished
May 23, 2012
Assuming you're running 64bit Windows, have you checked the Task Manager to see if any apps are leaking memory?

(In Task Manager, go to View -> Select Columns, and check off the ones that say "Memory [blah]" if you haven't already).

Windows is good about caching and freeing as apps need it. I rarely see more than a few hundred megs free, most of the rest is cached, and I've never seen that error message.

rs2k

Distinguished
May 20, 2008

I just did that. Which column will tell me if an app is leaking memory?

What's the difference between Working Set and Private Working Set?

Physical Memory usually is around 60% when I get the message.

rs2k

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Core I5 3570K clocked to 4.4 GHz. It usually happens when I have a game playing that's taking up most of two cores, but I've had it happen with less than 10% usage and no game playing. I usually always have very large spreadsheets and a LOT of chrome windows open. Those are the two biggest memory hogs, but I should still have PLENTY of RAM available... That's why I got 16 GB and not 8 GB.

Another program that will often cause the problem is Oracle VM. When I give an Ubuntu VM 2 cores and 2 GB of RAM the message is much more likely to occur.

JustLurking

Distinguished
May 23, 2012
Here's how Microsoft describes the memory columns in Task Manager:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-my/windows-vista/what-do-the-task-manager-memory-columns-mean

And here's some more (very technical) info from Stackoverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1170654/how-to-interpret-windows-task-manager

Here's a clip from that SO page, attributed/credit to "gordon-carpenter-thompson":
The private working set is the amount of memory used by a process that cannot be shared among other processes, while working set includes the memory shared by other processes.

PC DOC Niagara

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
I'm Having the same issue and i have an i7 8 cores with 16 gig of ram 10 gig free and 21 gig page file free 30 gig of virtual memory set and this only happens when I'm playing a game also have 4 gig nvidia card, I installed advanced optimizer pro which has a memory defrag and optimizer this solved the issue but with certain games i still get it there must be a system safety se somewhere in windows 8 that wants to keep more memory free I am still researching this.[/b]:sarcastic: