  • Microsoft
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
January 3, 2005 11:03:10 AM

ABout 6 months ago, I installed an MN-700 base station for
wireless connectivity in a stable, existing home network.
The existing network used a cable modem connected to a
Linksys BEFSR41 ver 2 router/switch. I used CAT 5 wire to
connect my PCs without any problem or loss of connectivity.

After I installed the Microsoft Base Station, I
periodically began to loose wireless connectivity. The
only thing I could do to correct the problem was cycle the
power on the base station. My computers would
automatically reconnect one power was cycled on the base
station. I thought it may be a firmware issue, but I have
the latest firmware installed for the router and the base
station. All PCs are XP with SP2. The problem is the same
from all PC's.

Has anyone had a successful implementation of an MN-700
with a similar configuration? Can anyone make a suggestion
to correct the problem (which has increased in frequency to
a daily routine)? Can anyone suggest a stable replacement
for the MN-700 which I am ready to toss?

Thanks in advance

Dan
Chaplain, US Army

More about : success 700

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 1:33:05 PM

Hi Dan --

I've got the same exact problem. I've got the newest
firmware (Jul 2004) on my MN 700 and it seems to lose
wireless connectivity every night, and I have to pull the
plug on the unit and recycle power. I keep on checking
these newsgroups to see if 1) Microsoft acknowledges the
problem, and 2) if they will post a fix.

So, aside from commiserating with you, I cannot offer
much help. I'm almost to the point of spending another
$100 to get a different brand of wireless router. In my
past home's networks, I've had good luck with D-Link and
Netgear.

I'd love for MS to fix this widely know problem.

Best of luck to you,
-Mike

January 3, 2005 5:39:48 PM

No total success here either (with a PC connected to MN-
700 via wired Linksys EtherFast 10/100 USB Network
Adapter). The other PC (a laptop) gets a wireless signal
from the MN-700 base station though. My O/S is Win98SE,
also on the laptop.

The only way I get a connection to the wired PC is:
I power down the PC.
I power down the cable modem.
I power down the MN-700.
Then I switch the cables to get a direct connection to the
cable modem from the ISP.
I power up the cable modem.
I power up the PC and check I have access to the internet.
I power down the PC.
Then I switch the cables again to go through the MN-700.
I power up the PC and I do have access to the internet.
But ... if I power down the PC ... I don't leave it on all
night ... I have to start all over again.
This is somewhat frustrating !! .............. Hans

January 3, 2005 11:12:58 PM

I had trouble with my MN700 and XP SP2 dropping off while running 802.11b&g.
When I switched to G only things got better. One of the other things I had
to do was tell XP only to talk to the selected network. I don't know exactly
where I did that, but it was in configuration of the wireless card. Also,
I've never had a problem with my PowerBook and Airport. In fact, my
PowerBook seems to work better than the MN740 adapter that my sons XP
computer uses. And he's about 20 feet closer to the base station.

Matt

--
January 4, 2005 9:11:38 AM

I am now having that same problem and have to cycle power
on the MN-700 to get the wireless back up. For the first
six or seven months with the MN-700, I did not have any
problems with router. For the past week it has went down
every day. I thought maybe MS put out a new firmware that
was causing my problem and that is why I came here, to
check for firmware. It looks like no new firmware so now I
am having the same problems as alot of other people. This
seems strange as the other computer on my wireless network
is a desktop and nothing has changed with the location of
things.

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 10:44:32 AM

I am having the same problem!!! I have been on support
with INDIA for the past hour with no help in site. HELP!
HELP! HELP!

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 5:44:43 PM

"Dan H." <armychaplain@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone had a successful implementation of an MN-700
> with a similar configuration?

I have 2 notebook PCs that both use the MN720 adapter. One runs Windows
2000 the other runs Windows XP SP1. I have 2 desktop machines hooked up via
ethernet cables. One runs Windows NT 4.0 Server and the other runs Windows
NT 4.0.

I've never had the disconnection problem that many of you are describing and
I routinely download large files from Microsoft as I am an MSDN Universal
subscriber and I need to get the latest operating systems and beta products.

I wonder if perhaps people could start posting the serial numbers of the
MN700 systems that are affected. Perhaps we can find a common theme.

>Can anyone make a suggestion
> to correct the problem (which has increased in frequency to
> a daily routine)?

Since I've never had the problem, I am at a loss to help you with it... :(

Can anyone suggest a stable replacement
> for the MN-700 which I am ready to toss?

I like the D-Link AirPlus Extreme G products (108MBS). They can be had
fairly cheaply and they usually recieve good reviews from the security
newsgroups.

When you're ready to dump you MS stuff, let me know. If the price is right,
I might be willing to purchase it.

-P
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 12:21:53 AM

same problem with wireless G base station. I disabled
wireless for now and it is stable now - which narrows
troubleshooting down to the wireless part. I tried
several things including disabling/enabling IEEE 802.1x
authentication. we have about 5-10 wireless networks here
in the neighborhood. but I selected another
channel...still the same problem.
what did you guys select in the Advanced menue?
- Any availbale network (access point preferred)
or
- Access point(infrastructure)networks only
??

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 11:32:46 PM

Hello Guys I'm not sure if this is the same problem or
not but I use Comcast for my ISP and when I got my router
I had the same problem and I started playing around and
found out that it was the MAC Address in the MS Broadband
Management Tool, under Wide Area Network Settings then I
entered my MAC Address in the Dynamic connection boxes
and poooof it started working...

Good Luck Guys
Presto-X of the RONiN-X Team
http://www.ronin-x.com

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 12:48:22 AM

which Mac Adress did you enter? the one of the new base
station?

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 4:05:57 PM

I have had the same problem since I upgraded my MN-700 to
firmware 2.1.2.590. I bought the wireless laptop + base
station bundle (so I know they're supported!!) and ran the
base station on the "from retail" firmware. Once I updated
the base station with firmware rev 2.1.2.590, the base
station periodically and unpredictably terminates the
wireless connection and refuses to reestablish it (even
choosing "repair" in XP doesn't fix it) until I power
cycle the base station. Then, some time later, the whole
thing happens again.

Now, I might have a little insight into the problem for
all of your MS engineers reading this post (I hope you
do!): My laptop complains about the key (WEP) when the
connection is terminated. Could it be that problems were
introduced when the new style of encryption were
implemented? Here's something else: if I connect the
laptop directly to the MN-700 I still have net access --
so it is particularly associated with the wireless portion
of the router.

Also, is there a way to go back one revision of the
firmware? If so, where would I get it?

Anonymous
January 15, 2005 11:12:05 AM

I know we've got a huge problem here, because it is
consistent and the symptoms are the same.

I have cloned a MAC address to the router and it STILL
bombs out. This is not acceptable.

Microsoft, please acknowledge this problem and fix it.
Please don't abandon all of us, or at least abandon us
with a stable product!

Anonymous
January 15, 2005 12:35:44 PM

**DHCP is the cause of the problem with 2.1.2.590**

I had the same problem, but figured something out that
has worked for me: Assign static IPs to your wireless
clients. It seems that the recent update to firmware
version 2.1.2.590 introduced a problem with DHCP.

Note, I still have DHCP turned on so that
those "occasionally connected" laptops can still obtain a
valid non-routable IP. But for the two laptops that I use
around the house, assigning static IPs seems to be
working fine. And just in time, resetting the base
station was driving me nuts!

Another possible fix to the same issue might be to set
the lease time for the IPs to be two weeks (from the
router's LAN page). I'm not sure if this would help, but
it might be worth a try if assigning a static IP to your
machines is distasteful in any way.

Please post your results back to this board so that MS
engineers can gauge from user experience if DHCP is
indeed flawed in the recent MN-700 firmware upgrade.

Good luck all!
David A. in Toronto

!