Any Success with an MN-700???

ABout 6 months ago, I installed an MN-700 base station for
wireless connectivity in a stable, existing home network.
The existing network used a cable modem connected to a
Linksys BEFSR41 ver 2 router/switch. I used CAT 5 wire to
connect my PCs without any problem or loss of connectivity.

After I installed the Microsoft Base Station, I
periodically began to loose wireless connectivity. The
only thing I could do to correct the problem was cycle the
power on the base station. My computers would
automatically reconnect one power was cycled on the base
station. I thought it may be a firmware issue, but I have
the latest firmware installed for the router and the base
station. All PCs are XP with SP2. The problem is the same
from all PC's.

Has anyone had a successful implementation of an MN-700
with a similar configuration? Can anyone make a suggestion
to correct the problem (which has increased in frequency to
a daily routine)? Can anyone suggest a stable replacement
for the MN-700 which I am ready to toss?

Thanks in advance

Dan
Chaplain, US Army
12 answers Last reply
More about success

    Hi Dan --

    I've got the same exact problem. I've got the newest
    firmware (Jul 2004) on my MN 700 and it seems to lose
    wireless connectivity every night, and I have to pull the
    plug on the unit and recycle power. I keep on checking
    these newsgroups to see if 1) Microsoft acknowledges the
    problem, and 2) if they will post a fix.

    So, aside from commiserating with you, I cannot offer
    much help. I'm almost to the point of spending another
    $100 to get a different brand of wireless router. In my
    past home's networks, I've had good luck with D-Link and
    Netgear.

    I'd love for MS to fix this widely know problem.

    Best of luck to you,
    -Mike

    No total success here either (with a PC connected to MN-
    700 via wired Linksys EtherFast 10/100 USB Network
    Adapter). The other PC (a laptop) gets a wireless signal
    from the MN-700 base station though. My O/S is Win98SE,
    also on the laptop.

    The only way I get a connection to the wired PC is:
    I power down the PC.
    I power down the cable modem.
    I power down the MN-700.
    Then I switch the cables to get a direct connection to the
    cable modem from the ISP.
    I power up the cable modem.
    I power up the PC and check I have access to the internet.
    I power down the PC.
    Then I switch the cables again to go through the MN-700.
    I power up the PC and I do have access to the internet.
    But ... if I power down the PC ... I don't leave it on all
    night ... I have to start all over again.
    This is somewhat frustrating !! .............. Hans

    I had trouble with my MN700 and XP SP2 dropping off while running 802.11b&g.
    When I switched to G only things got better. One of the other things I had
    to do was tell XP only to talk to the selected network. I don't know exactly
    where I did that, but it was in configuration of the wireless card. Also,
    I've never had a problem with my PowerBook and Airport. In fact, my
    PowerBook seems to work better than the MN740 adapter that my sons XP
    computer uses. And he's about 20 feet closer to the base station.

    Matt

    On 01/03/2005 8:03 AM, in article 111d01c4f1ad$b8fbc340$a401280a@phx.gbl,
    "Dan H." <armychaplain@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > ABout 6 months ago, I installed an MN-700 base station for
    > wireless connectivity in a stable, existing home network.
    > The existing network used a cable modem connected to a
    > Linksys BEFSR41 ver 2 router/switch. I used CAT 5 wire to
    > connect my PCs without any problem or loss of connectivity.
    >
    > After I installed the Microsoft Base Station, I
    > periodically began to loose wireless connectivity. The
    > only thing I could do to correct the problem was cycle the
    > power on the base station. My computers would
    > automatically reconnect one power was cycled on the base
    > station. I thought it may be a firmware issue, but I have
    > the latest firmware installed for the router and the base
    > station. All PCs are XP with SP2. The problem is the same
    > from all PC's.
    >
    > Has anyone had a successful implementation of an MN-700
    > with a similar configuration? Can anyone make a suggestion
    > to correct the problem (which has increased in frequency to
    > a daily routine)? Can anyone suggest a stable replacement
    > for the MN-700 which I am ready to toss?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Dan
    > Chaplain, US Army

    I am now having that same problem and have to cycle power
    on the MN-700 to get the wireless back up. For the first
    six or seven months with the MN-700, I did not have any
    problems with router. For the past week it has went down
    every day. I thought maybe MS put out a new firmware that
    was causing my problem and that is why I came here, to
    check for firmware. It looks like no new firmware so now I
    am having the same problems as alot of other people. This
    seems strange as the other computer on my wireless network
    is a desktop and nothing has changed with the location of
    things.

    I am having the same problem!!! I have been on support
    with INDIA for the past hour with no help in site. HELP!
    HELP! HELP!

    "Dan H." <armychaplain@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Has anyone had a successful implementation of an MN-700
    > with a similar configuration?

    I have 2 notebook PCs that both use the MN720 adapter. One runs Windows
    2000 the other runs Windows XP SP1. I have 2 desktop machines hooked up via
    ethernet cables. One runs Windows NT 4.0 Server and the other runs Windows
    NT 4.0.

    I've never had the disconnection problem that many of you are describing and
    I routinely download large files from Microsoft as I am an MSDN Universal
    subscriber and I need to get the latest operating systems and beta products.

    I wonder if perhaps people could start posting the serial numbers of the
    MN700 systems that are affected. Perhaps we can find a common theme.

    >Can anyone make a suggestion
    > to correct the problem (which has increased in frequency to
    > a daily routine)?

    Since I've never had the problem, I am at a loss to help you with it... :(

    Can anyone suggest a stable replacement
    > for the MN-700 which I am ready to toss?

    I like the D-Link AirPlus Extreme G products (108MBS). They can be had
    fairly cheaply and they usually recieve good reviews from the security
    newsgroups.

    When you're ready to dump you MS stuff, let me know. If the price is right,
    I might be willing to purchase it.

    -P

    same problem with wireless G base station. I disabled
    wireless for now and it is stable now - which narrows
    troubleshooting down to the wireless part. I tried
    several things including disabling/enabling IEEE 802.1x
    authentication. we have about 5-10 wireless networks here
    in the neighborhood. but I selected another
    channel...still the same problem.
    what did you guys select in the Advanced menue?
    - Any availbale network (access point preferred)
    or
    - Access point(infrastructure)networks only
    ??

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Hello Guys I'm not sure if this is the same problem or
    not but I use Comcast for my ISP and when I got my router
    I had the same problem and I started playing around and
    found out that it was the MAC Address in the MS Broadband
    Management Tool, under Wide Area Network Settings then I
    entered my MAC Address in the Dynamic connection boxes
    and poooof it started working...

    Good Luck Guys
    Presto-X of the RONiN-X Team
    http://www.ronin-x.com

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    which Mac Adress did you enter? the one of the new base
    station?

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    I have had the same problem since I upgraded my MN-700 to
    firmware 2.1.2.590. I bought the wireless laptop + base
    station bundle (so I know they're supported!!) and ran the
    base station on the "from retail" firmware. Once I updated
    the base station with firmware rev 2.1.2.590, the base
    station periodically and unpredictably terminates the
    wireless connection and refuses to reestablish it (even
    choosing "repair" in XP doesn't fix it) until I power
    cycle the base station. Then, some time later, the whole
    thing happens again.

    Now, I might have a little insight into the problem for
    all of your MS engineers reading this post (I hope you
    do!): My laptop complains about the key (WEP) when the
    connection is terminated. Could it be that problems were
    introduced when the new style of encryption were
    implemented? Here's something else: if I connect the
    laptop directly to the MN-700 I still have net access --
    so it is particularly associated with the wireless portion
    of the router.

    Also, is there a way to go back one revision of the
    firmware? If so, where would I get it?

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    I know we've got a huge problem here, because it is
    consistent and the symptoms are the same.

    I have cloned a MAC address to the router and it STILL
    bombs out. This is not acceptable.

    Microsoft, please acknowledge this problem and fix it.
    Please don't abandon all of us, or at least abandon us
    with a stable product!

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    **DHCP is the cause of the problem with 2.1.2.590**

    I had the same problem, but figured something out that
    has worked for me: Assign static IPs to your wireless
    clients. It seems that the recent update to firmware
    version 2.1.2.590 introduced a problem with DHCP.

    Note, I still have DHCP turned on so that
    those "occasionally connected" laptops can still obtain a
    valid non-routable IP. But for the two laptops that I use
    around the house, assigning static IPs seems to be
    working fine. And just in time, resetting the base
    station was driving me nuts!

    Another possible fix to the same issue might be to set
    the lease time for the IPs to be two weeks (from the
    router's LAN page). I'm not sure if this would help, but
    it might be worth a try if assigning a static IP to your
    machines is distasteful in any way.

    Please post your results back to this board so that MS
    engineers can gauge from user experience if DHCP is
    indeed flawed in the recent MN-700 firmware upgrade.

    Good luck all!
    David A. in Toronto

Routers Connectivity Microsoft Networking