Would you build a PIII system today?

My current "fun" system is:
Abit BF6
1200 Celeron (on a Powerleap adapter)
512MB SDRAM
TNT2/32

I just bought a GF3 Ti 200 & was looking to build a new system to go along with it. I can buy from a reputable internet shop a Asus TUSLC & Tualatin 1.2GHz/256k (retail boxed) cpu for $US250. I have loads of Micron CAS2 256MB DIMMS lying around doing nothing, plus compatible power supply's, etc.

I will mostly use this "new" machine for office apps & to play Counter-Strike (yes, very old engine). I will <b>not</b> be doing any memory intensive (e.g., video stuff) applications.

Sitting with my current rig & just swapping in the GF3 is not an option. Although I wish I could, I need the second PC. Building anything with a VIA chipset is <b>not</b> an option. Building a XP or P4 system would at the very least require me to add memory & case/power supply to the price tag.

So, what do you guys think?

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

I amd guilty intel proven innocent
9 answers Last reply
More about would build piii system today
  1. I'd be asking myself how long the system will be used for, as buying a P3 now will mean the end of the line, and then buying a whole new load of upgrades in the future.
    I very much like AMD sticking with the Socket A route, be it for technical reasons or not, as upgradability seems (relatively) superb. I just bought a brand new P4 1.6A because a) i can overclock it to something that performs well now, and b) in 18 months or so, i only have to stick a new chip in there and i'm away (i hope!).

My opinion - if you are going to leave the computer 'as is' for at least 4 years, then go ahead and buy a P3. If not, then don't.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18108" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18108</A>
  2. 'Would you build a PIII system today?'

No, buying yesturdays technology is not a good idea because you can not upgrade easily.

I need a 1.5 Ghz Athlon + 512mb ddr ram to write emails......honestly
  3. Quote:
    Would you build a PIII system today?

For a light or medium duty server, yes. A server's config usually remains static for ages, and P3's are still more than powerful enough for many kinds of servers. (Really, so are PPro's; I have a dual PPro server handling almost all activity on my current network.)

For a "silent" workstation or for certain embedded applications, yes. P3's are generally the most powerful x86 processors available that can run fanless without locking or throttling.

I wouldn't run P3's for much else, though.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?
  4. Depending of the type of work you do (and you say "only office and CS) and since CS need only about a p2 to work really fine, a classic p3 1.2 would be fine. I use a not so brand new dually, 2 p3 866 with 760 CL2 SDRAM, and it does all the work i need. Using it for office, for little 3d apps, for a gaming machine and at last as my daily server. What you need to decide is, doest it worth it to buy a p4? They are still a bit costly (well, for me at least) and do you need all the power they give for now? build a good p3 system, work with it 2 year and than build another one for you games (b-coz, hey, office applications won't need a 2.4 Ghz chip for a while! (i'm not talking about 3d apps)) Think of all you need, high speed processor with some cheap hdd, memory and all, or a good old p3 with 2 or 3 100 mb hdd in stripping mode, along with a 512 + SDRAM CL2..
    Its been.. something like 8 month with my old p3, and i'm gonna keep it for a while.
  5. Ugh, my PIII 1000EB beets my Celeron 1.2GHz, even when the Celeron is at ~1500MHz overclocked (If I recall, I think it was 1480MHz I ran it at).

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
  6. Yes, I would.

I think some people upgrade more then others. I put a CPU in a motherboard, and that's that. If I want a new computer, I build from scratch so "upgradeability" does not list high on my list of priorities.

- JW
  7. Crash, would you still build my proposed system today?

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

I amd guilty intel proven innocent
  8. Nope, not when the P4 1.6A and Abit TH7-II is priced similarly.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
  9. Quote:
    Sitting with my current rig & just swapping in the GF3 is not an option. Although I wish I could, I need the second PC. Building anything with a VIA chipset is not an option. Building a XP or P4 system would at the very least require me to add memory & case/power supply to the price tag.

Get a sis735 chipset and use your sdram with it, and an axp1900+ and a psu is less than the 250 tually, any other choice is stupid, im sorry but I have to call it as I see it man.

You can spend 250 on a tually/mobo, when you can spend 250 on a much faster axp/mobo combo AND have enough left for an extra psu.

Choice=clear.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs