Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Laptop connects to router, but no internet access

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
August 24, 2011 6:50:29 PM

My laptop has had an issue for a while where it will connect to any network without much issue however it will only grant local access, no internet access. It is running on vista, and i have attempted many fixes to no avail

-control panel > network connections > wireless network connection > properties > automatically obtain IP adress for both IPv4 and IPv6

-disabled, deleted, or removed all firewall programs that may interfere with internet access (User account Controls, windows firewall, old antivirus program)

-Cleared the network from available networks and manually setup the connection

-Internet access works when connected via ethernet cable

-Issue happens with all networks i attempt to connect to wirelessly

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2011 7:40:25 PM

Try manually setting the IP address for your network adapter and entering Google's DNS servers where appropriate (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4). Report back with the results.
Score
August 25, 2011 3:38:06 AM

No luck, COLGeek. Whats next?
Score
Related resources
a b D Laptop
August 25, 2011 1:01:10 PM

Wired works, wireless fails, correct?

What wireless adapter are you using? What make/model of laptop is this, BTW?
Score
August 25, 2011 7:41:01 PM

Correct. Laptop is a dell inspiron 1520, i believe the wireless adapter is an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG. It seems that when i turn the "wireless switch" on on the left side of the laptop the little LED light doesn't light up. Perhaps i need a new wireless adapter?
Score
August 25, 2011 8:05:11 PM

Either that or the antenna cables inside came loose. Most of these can be reattached, but you need to open up the laptop.
Score
August 25, 2011 8:26:35 PM

vigilante212 said:
Either that or the antenna cables inside came loose. Most of these can be reattached, but you need to open up the laptop.

If that were the case wouldn't it also have trouble just connecting to the router, not just having limited access when connected to the router?
Score
a b D Laptop
August 25, 2011 8:32:45 PM

Are you using encryption (WEP or WPA)? Have you tried connecting (for troubleshooting purposes) with no encryption?
Score

Best solution

August 25, 2011 8:40:24 PM

calad said:
If that were the case wouldn't it also have trouble just connecting to the router, not just having limited access when connected to the router?

If its a multi antenna unit it may have enough signal to connect to the network, but too low to actually do anything with the connection. Like my Laptop has 3 antennas built in.
August 26, 2011 3:15:02 AM

vigilante212 said:
If its a multi antenna unit it may have enough signal to connect to the network, but too low to actually do anything with the connection. Like my Laptop has 3 antennas built in.

The signal usually has 4 or 5 bars from the router, does that make things any different?
Score
August 26, 2011 7:08:29 AM

try to reinstall the wireless driver for your dell laptop, if nothing happened something wrong with the hardware for your wireless ....
Score
August 26, 2011 8:00:39 PM

marbski said:
try to reinstall the wireless driver for your dell laptop, if nothing happened something wrong with the hardware for your wireless ....

I've reinstalled the drivers a couple times, I suppose ill be hitting newegg soon...
Score
January 30, 2012 9:25:36 AM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
Score
January 30, 2012 9:25:38 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!