• Security
  • Internet Security
  • Computers
  • Antivirus
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
February 27, 2013 8:20:25 PM

Hello everyone,
My friend just bought a new computer and he needed an anti-virus program. I suggested AVG Free 2013 because a local store that helps with computer problems recommended this to me. However, my friend seems overly paranoid about viruses, malware, spyware, and even cookies. I think that AVG does a pretty good job of protecting your computer, don't you think?
Also, my computer came with a year subscription to McAfee. I've heard mixed opinions of this program, so should I uninstall this and get another anti-virus program? Suggestions would be great, thanks.

~Griffin

P.S. My friend doesn't allow any cookies. I know some can be bad, but some are good, right? Like the ones that remember your passwords so you don't have to log in every time you enter a site. Just wondering, because we've been arguing over this for a bit now.

More about : internet security

February 27, 2013 8:44:33 PM

McAfee .......... Useless
AVG Free ........... Fair at best

Best free .......Avast
m
l
Related resources
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
February 27, 2013 10:31:16 PM

Avast is a good one.

Yes, some cookies are fine. Some sites you even have to have cookies enabled in order to load. Something like tracking cookies are relatively harmless, and easily removed by something like Malwarebytes.
m
l
February 27, 2013 10:57:19 PM

aford10 said:
Avast is a good one.

Yes, some cookies are fine. Some sites you even have to have cookies enabled in order to load. Something like tracking cookies are relatively harmless, and easily removed by something like Malwarebytes.

That's what I thought, thanks for the information.
m
l
February 27, 2013 11:07:53 PM

Best set ups I've heard for free and easy are avast for anti-virus then comodo or zone alarm for firewall.
m
l
March 10, 2013 7:19:39 PM

Best answer selected by murrgriff.
m
l