Undead control and desecrate

Desecrate lets a cleric create 4*level HD of undead instead of the normal
2*level HD. But normally he can't control more than 2HD of undead. Do the
other 2HD wander off randomly? Or, if the undead stay in the Desecrate, can he
control more of them? or perhaps if he himself stays in the Desecrate? ISTM
there's no specific rule, so the first interpretation is probably the RAW (2hd
are uncontrolled, at least after the Desecrate expires). Is one of the others
a reasonable house rule?

It's only 20' radius, so it is irrelevant if the undead have to stay inside
the radius for the "extra control" to work.

David Alex Lamb wrote:
> Desecrate lets a cleric create 4*level HD of undead instead of the normal
> 2*level HD. But normally he can't control more than 2HD of undead.

You're mistaken. From Animate Dead:

"The undead you create remain under your control indefinitely. No
matter how many times you use this spell, however, you can control only
4 HD worth of undead creatures per caster level."

Laszlo

In article <d952u1$kav$1@knot.queensu.ca>, dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca wrote:

>Desecrate lets a cleric create 4*level HD of undead instead of the normal
>2*level HD. But normally he can't control more than 2HD of undead. Do the
>other 2HD wander off randomly? Or, if the undead stay in the Desecrate, can he
>control more of them? or perhaps if he himself stays in the Desecrate? ISTM
>there's no specific rule, so the first interpretation is probably the RAW (2hd
>are uncontrolled, at least after the Desecrate expires). Is one of the others
>a reasonable house rule?
>
>It's only 20' radius, so it is irrelevant if the undead have to stay inside
>the radius for the "extra control" to work.

Doesn't Desecrate give clerics bonuses for their rebuke test?

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.

David Alex Lamb wrote:
> In article <d96go3$4m4$1@knot.queensu.ca>,
> David Alex Lamb <dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca> wrote:
> >Good; thank! I wonder where I got the 2*HD limit;
>
> Found it. SRD Desecrate description says it allows creation of 4*HD instead
> of 2*HD, which contradicts Animate Dead saying 4*HD is normal.

No, I think you're still misunderstanding it.

Animate Dead allows you to create 2*HD with a single casting. In the
area of a Desecrate, you can create 4*HD with a single casting of
Animate Dead.

Regardless of whether you're in the area of a Desecrate or not, you can
_command_ up to 4*HD at once.

In other words, if you're in a Desecrated area, a single casting of
Animate Dead will get you your full allotment of undead. If you're not,
then you'll need to cast _two_ Animate Deads to get your full
allotment.

Laszlo

In article <1119256277.174960.28750@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote:

>David Alex Lamb wrote:
>> Desecrate lets a cleric create 4*level HD of undead instead of the normal
>> 2*level HD. But normally he can't control more than 2HD of undead.
>
>You're mistaken. From Animate Dead:
>
>"The undead you create remain under your control indefinitely. No
>matter how many times you use this spell, however, you can control only
>4 HD worth of undead creatures per caster level."

Good; thank! I wonder where I got the 2*HD limit; it can't be "command
undead" because that's a 1*HD. (Just checked the SRD; I'll have to double
check TFM tonight).

In article <YZqdnRiZEq_TCSvfRVn-qg@comcast.com>,
Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>In article <d952u1$kav$1@knot.queensu.ca>, dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca wrote:
>
>>Desecrate lets a cleric create 4*level HD of undead instead of the normal
>>2*level HD. But normally he can't control more than 2HD of undead. Do the
>>other 2HD wander off randomly? Or, if the undead stay in the Desecrate, can he
>>control more of them? or perhaps if he himself stays in the Desecrate? ISTM
>>there's no specific rule, so the first interpretation is probably the RAW (2hd
>>are uncontrolled, at least after the Desecrate expires). Is one of the others
>>a reasonable house rule?
>>
>>It's only 20' radius, so it is irrelevant if the undead have to stay inside
>>the radius for the "extra control" to work.
>
>Doesn't Desecrate give clerics bonuses for their rebuke test?

It gives minuses for turn checks rather than bonuses for rebuke. It also
beefs up the undead.

David Alex Lamb wrote:
> It also beefs up the undead.

Oh... so then skeletons become zombies, because of the extra beef? Or do
they have to be cow zombies? Do cow zombies become extra large then?

(Sorry, just couldn't resist.)

--
Reginald Blue
"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my

In article <d96go3$4m4$1@knot.queensu.ca>,
David Alex Lamb <dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca> wrote:
>Good; thank! I wonder where I got the 2*HD limit;

Found it. SRD Desecrate description says it allows creation of 4*HD instead
of 2*HD, which contradicts Animate Dead saying 4*HD is normal. So should
desecrate allow creation of 8*HD? Sounds like a lot; a 6th level cleric could
do 48 skeletons, which would be very tough for my kids' 3rd level party (I was
prepared to run a tough APL+3 adventure, especially since they have 2 clerics,
but may have to find an excuse why the bad guy would make fewer than he could.

<laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote in message

> David Alex Lamb wrote:
> > In article <d96go3$4m4$1@knot.queensu.ca>,
> > David Alex Lamb <dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca> wrote:
> > >Good; thank! I wonder where I got the 2*HD limit;
> >
> > Found it. SRD Desecrate description says it allows creation of 4*HD
instead
> > of 2*HD, which contradicts Animate Dead saying 4*HD is normal.
>
> No, I think you're still misunderstanding it.
>
> Animate Dead allows you to create 2*HD with a single casting. In the
> area of a Desecrate, you can create 4*HD with a single casting of
> Animate Dead.
>
> Regardless of whether you're in the area of a Desecrate or not, you can
> _command_ up to 4*HD at once.
>
> In other words, if you're in a Desecrated area, a single casting of
> Animate Dead will get you your full allotment of undead. If you're not,
> then you'll need to cast _two_ Animate Deads to get your full
> allotment.

Right.