Bypassing Win ME Password

WYWMssn

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2003
Hi everyone,

My friend recently got hacked (at least that is what we believe) and he cannot log in to Windows ME with his own password anymore. He doesn't want to format and just wants to log in. Does anyone know how he can do just that?

Thanks.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
if i remember correctly, me login is just like 95/98. just press cancel and your in. if that doesnt work just log on with a different username. just make one up, it doesnt have to be one that already exists. it will create the pwl file. and yes, you got hacked, by microsoft. its a trojan horse they released to the world that makes your system unstable and screw up alot. i believe its called windows me.[-peep-].

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

bronibbear

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
You have to be careful though I don't think those methods give you full administrative rights. Access to certain folders and abilities to manipulate certain system settings and files may be compromised! It may be wiser to reformat your hardisk and start again from scratch plus that way if there is a Trojan you'll get rid of it as well.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
administrative rights huh, this is win me were talking about, no ntfs security, no admin, power user or user. no security.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

bronibbear

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
I've not had much to do with Winme myself as I found it to unstable but I know from experience that Win98se will deny you certain rights (not to the extent that Win2000 and XP do though.) I'm assuming that Winme would be similar to 98.

mvsiangco

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2002
have you tried to go to HELP, then "LOST PASSWORDS"
It could help a lot! Losing your data and all other files could be awful!

bronibbear

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
One person's computer I was fixing had a copy of win98se which had a password that had been lost. There were many things I tried to do where a window would pop up saying something to the effect "you do not have rights to perform this task". One of these for instance was setting the explorers view options so that it would show system and hidden files.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
hmmmm... I've never seen that sort of thing. The way you describe it sounds more like NT/2K/XP than 9X. Oh well....

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
If I remember rightly, if you can boot up in DOS, then delete the relevant *.pwl file, you should be able to enter any password for that user.