axp idles at 65degrees c!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
any ideas why my temp is so high? wat can i do to bring itdown? i have a copper heatsink with 7000rpm fan. its an xp1800 btw

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

dhlucke

Polypheme
First off, is this causing any instabilities?

Second, you might want to list how many 80mm fans you have, how they're placed, exactly which HSF you have, and what kind of case you have.

Start by tucking away all cables. Rubberband them together and tuck them away. Make sure you have a fan in the front/bottom of your case sucking cold air in, and a fan in the back/top blowing hot air out.

Also, make sure the reading you're giving us is from motherboard monitor. That's the most accurate reading.

<font color=red>THGC: Everything from anal applications of peanut butter to marriage counseling</font color=red>

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Take a look in your bios and tell us what that temp is. Is it locking up stop running? If not dont worrie about it. Another Idea is look in the case see if it needs to be clean out. You migh have a alot of dust. I know when I ran the Fire box to heat the home. 3 months did it in. Going up to 70 to 75c. Clean the dust out with compresser/air filter. Drop my temp to 48 to 56c.

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
all cables are tie wrapped. i blown all the dust away with air can when i installed the axp. its a thermaltake dragon orb 3. 80mm fan at back and 80mm fan at front. front 1 sucking back 1 blowing. the temp is from the bios. i got a gigabyte GA-7DXR+ and i get occasional lock ups. although that mite be the ram as i have just put in a extra 256mb of hynix ddr2100 which im getting bad vibes about...
oh yea and i also tried reducing core voltage from 1.75V to 1.7V that got my temp down to 60 but still with occassional lockups

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you have two differnt ram can make problems. Where is your computer located In the room. This is why My system runs almost as hot as yours Its in the closet. Its not the best place in the house but it the only place I can put it. See I notice Mine blows out the heat then blows it back in. So it not good I have a large ceiling Fan blowing down which drops the computer temp 58c to 50c. A idea why dont you try to change your fans around. See if you can get a better temp.

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
my comp is siiting in the open. also i tried it with the case off and a desk fan blowing in the side and that dropped it to bout 55-60. im going to clean up the hsf and proc tonite and reapply the thermal compound. if that dont work im guessing i got a dodgy proc?

dhlucke

Polypheme
No, it's not a bad processor. You'll just have to work more on airflow. Get some insence and see where the smoke goes. This is kinda tough with normal cases, but you can try. Also, do you have a good case that at least appears to promote good airflow? If you don't, you will have to add more fans.

<font color=red>THGC: Everything from anal applications of peanut butter to marriage counseling</font color=red>

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Try to run with one DDR module you trust. If even with open case you still have instability problems, maybe it is a good idea to change the CPU. The problem is not the temp, because it could be a bad sensor calibration, the problem is your system is not stable. And if without overclocking and good airflow is not running ok, just change for a new one (I suppose the CPU is still under garanty).

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
the proc is oem.. it carried a 30 day supplier warranty and ive had it 4 more than 30days now :frown:
also i do a lot video encoding and processor intensive stuff.. i need to get the idle temps down a bit before i start maxing out the proc otherwise i can imagine the temps hitting 70-75 which i would imagine isnt too healthy for an axp. anyway im cleaning off the thermal compound and reapplying some fresh tonite. ill see if that makes a difference before i start playing with the ram

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rcj187 on 05/08/02 01:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
maybe the heatsink isnt seated properly?
maybe the heatsink is dirty?
dont apply too much thermal grease.
i hope you can figure this out.
because that seems a tad high for your setup.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
ive built 7 athlon/duron systems. 5 k6-2/3 systems. a p166.
a PPro200. trust me the hsf is clean and seated correctly. all the fans and the case are clean and free of dust

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
No, it's not a bad processor. You'll just have to work more on airflow. Get some insence and see where the smoke goes. This is kinda tough with normal cases, but you can try. Also, do you have a good case that at least appears to promote good airflow? If you don't, you will have to add more fans.

Lol, dh taking the side off to see the smoke [-peep-] up the whole point of the airflow.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
ive built 7 athlon/duron systems. 5 k6-2/3 systems. a p166.
a PPro200. trust me the hsf is clean and seated correctly. all the fans and the case are clean and free of dust

Those temps are too high for a dragon orb which is working properly, but it is not the cpu thats the issue, something is wrong with the hsf(be it airflow or whatnot).

Your cpu being "dodgy" is not a causal factor.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

killian2

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
Whats the room temp? Of course aircooling can only go so low depending on the ambient air temperature. Hot part of the world? No AC??

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
here is a novel idea...
how about u try ruling out some other things like ram or the video card.

also. what are u using to monitor the temps with?

Today on Toms: Trisexual hamsters, anal applications of peanut butter and Marrage councilling!

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
:tongue:
i tried that. 2 different ddr modules
a geforce3, geforce2 mx, voodoo3 3000
i reseated the hsf last nite but its still no better.
im using motherboard monitor 5 to monitior the temps.
if i set it too 133mhz fsb it WILL NOT run stable. half the time it freeezes before it gets to windows and if does boot properly it will freeze within 5mins but it is 100% stable with 100fsb. ive flashed the bios and now ive run out of ideas......... HELP!!!

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Even if it is OEM, maybe they will agree to change for another one (4 or 5 days is not too much time ... I hope). Also if you have bought several times (equals good costumer) they will be more willing to make a deal. I am sure they can say your CPU is one that was selled a week after, just changing the costumer name or something like this. Try to make an agreement. What is happening to you is not fair. (If I am not wrong you haven't even overclock it, rigut?)

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Here a idea. I know with my system after playing a game that area is Warm. Or I m sweating. Due to the cpu hitting around 60c. the case is about 1 and 1/2 foot away. If you can feel the heat come off of it. that one way of telling its runs hot.

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
erm i know its hot cos the bios reading and the motherboard monitor both say it is hot. dont need to feel heat radiating off of it to know.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
okies...
a number of brands and revisions of motherboards DO NOT run stable at 133 for some reason (they are crap?)
but i want to absolutely rule out poor ram.

find download and run the following program
MEMTEST86
will rule out memory problems hopefully.

put simply, your CPU should run fine at stock speeds, even with the somewhat average dragon orb. if it doesnt the prob lies elsewhere.

p.s. just outta intrest, whats the room & mobo temp when your runnigng?

Today on Toms: Trisexual hamsters, anal applications of peanut butter and Marrage councilling!

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
ok im running on a gigabyte ga7dxr+ case temp is about 30
ive already checked both ram modules using norton systemworks.
btw i live in england so a typical day is cold wet and windy at the moment :tongue:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmmm ok

well i would have to say then that the dragon orb, while the best of the orbs, cant cut it cooling your CPU. not terribly suprised though.

do u know what the orb is rated for?

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
hey guys thanx for all your help...
i figured it out last nite...
not sure if i should say though as its kinda embarasing! :redface:
anyway it idles at 35 now and full load is 47-48

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i was going to say that it was a thermal pad still on the base of the heatsink, with the plastic strip still installed on it...because that would make sense...for those temps...
or something was setup wrong...and reading the temps weird.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-