Performance blues - sluggish and stutters

Ryfox

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
This is weird and disappointing to me - I've recently upgraded my pc in nearly all aspects - mobo, graph card, h-drive, ram. However while I get somewhat better fps rates in 3DMark, I'm experiencing difficulties with the actual performance of the rig. Software takes longer time to load, I get these 'hiccups' where the machine would freeze for a second while processing information (especially when using 3DMax or while playing games). For example, when playing games like Counter-Strike or Everquest, it now takes Much longer to load a new level or zone (I've the same isp setup and provider as with the last machine). I did go from Win 98 to 2000 and now have a P4 2ghz, 1gig RAM, GeForce 4 4200, Western Digital 100gig 7200rpm drive. I do have all the latest video, DX, sound, mobo drivers.
This issue has been bumming me out lately, so any input and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

dhlucke

Polypheme
A fresh install of windows and defragment your hard drive often.

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS</font color=blue> <font color=red>AMERICA</font color=red>

PSU perhaps? Did you upgrade it too?

Might be worth a look.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=324&s=58e94ba84a16bedfebbf0f416d5bac48" target="_new">System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink: