Use Magic Device failures

When you fail to activate a wand with Use Magic Device, does it lose a
charge or does it simply not activate? What if there is a mishap?

I've looked through the UMD rules and I don't see an obvious answer.

I guess I'd have to ask the same question about using UMD with scrolls.

- Ron ^*^

>When you fail to activate a wand with Use Magic Device, does it lose a
>charge or does it simply not activate? What if there is a mishap?
>
>I've looked through the UMD rules and I don't see an obvious answer.
>
>I guess I'd have to ask the same question about using UMD with scrolls.

Neither uses a charge: if you didn't make the roll, the item doesn't
"know" you are trying to use it.

Wands don't mishap. Scrolls do, but not if you use UMD and emulate a
caster level because if you roll too low, it was the UMD check you
failed: you can't "successfully" roll too low.

..

Werebat wrote:

> When you fail to activate a wand with Use Magic Device, does it lose a
> charge or does it simply not activate? What if there is a mishap?
>
> I've looked through the UMD rules and I don't see an obvious answer.
>
> I guess I'd have to ask the same question about using UMD with scrolls.
>
> - Ron ^*^

The Logic Goes:

1. Activate prerequisites
2. Activate Item
3. Consequence

If you attempt to activate but fail, then you don't activate the item.
There are no consequences.

You may need to activate the prerequisites for that item. If you fail an
prerequisites, you don't go on to the activation step. There are no
consequences.

If you meet the prerequsities, and you activate the item, then you go on
to consequences. Charges are used. Spells disappear from scrolls.
Appropriate caster checks for spells are be made.

CH

ringofw@hotmail.com wrote in

>>When you fail to activate a wand with Use Magic Device, does it
>>lose a charge or does it simply not activate? What if there is
>>a mishap?
>>
>>I've looked through the UMD rules and I don't see an obvious
>>answer.
>>
>>I guess I'd have to ask the same question about using UMD with
>>scrolls.
>
> Neither uses a charge: if you didn't make the roll, the item
> doesn't "know" you are trying to use it.
>
> Wands don't mishap.

Are you sure? Look at the picture of Lidda in the original 3.0 PHB

Quentin Stephens wrote:
> ringofw@hotmail.com wrote in
>
>>> When you fail to activate a wand with Use Magic Device, does it
>>> lose a charge or does it simply not activate? What if there is
>>> a mishap?
>>>
>>> I've looked through the UMD rules and I don't see an obvious
>>> answer.
>>>
>>> I guess I'd have to ask the same question about using UMD with
>>> scrolls.
>>
>> Neither uses a charge: if you didn't make the roll, the item
>> doesn't "know" you are trying to use it.
>>
>> Wands don't mishap.
>
> Are you sure? Look at the picture of Lidda in the original 3.0 PHB

That's if you use "activate blindly". Clearly Lidda doesn't recognise a wand
when she sees it (or mistook it for something else).

--
Mark.

On 21 Jun 2005 17:42:23 GMT, Quentin Stephens <stq@stq.gro.ku.invalid>
scribed into the ether:

>ringofw@hotmail.com wrote in
>
>>>When you fail to activate a wand with Use Magic Device, does it
>>>lose a charge or does it simply not activate? What if there is
>>>a mishap?
>>>
>>>I've looked through the UMD rules and I don't see an obvious
>>>answer.
>>>
>>>I guess I'd have to ask the same question about using UMD with
>>>scrolls.
>>
>> Neither uses a charge: if you didn't make the roll, the item
>> doesn't "know" you are trying to use it.
>>
>> Wands don't mishap.
>
>Are you sure? Look at the picture of Lidda in the original 3.0 PHB

That just tells us what happens when you misuse a magical digereedoo(sp).

In article <3hr2bbFhusf8U1@individual.net>,
m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid says...

> >> Wands don't mishap.
> >
> > Are you sure? Look at the picture of Lidda in the original 3.0 PHB
>
> That's if you use "activate blindly". Clearly Lidda doesn't recognise a wand
> when she sees it (or mistook it for something else).

Heh, heh... that naughty Lidda!

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:06:58 +0200, Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr>
scribed into the ether:

>In article <3hr2bbFhusf8U1@individual.net>,
>m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid says...

>> > Are you sure? Look at the picture of Lidda in the original 3.0 PHB
>>
>> That's if you use "activate blindly". Clearly Lidda doesn't recognise a wand
>> when she sees it (or mistook it for something else).
>
>Heh, heh... that naughty Lidda!

It is supposed to be a PG rated book. Putting the scorch marks....there...
would shift the book into Elfbard territory.

Matt Frisch wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:06:58 +0200, Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr>
> scribed into the ether:
>

>>In article <3hr2bbFhusf8U1@individual.net>,
>>m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid says...

>>>That's if you use "activate blindly". Clearly Lidda doesn't recognise a wand
>>>when she sees it (or mistook it for something else).
>>
>>Heh, heh... that naughty Lidda!
>

> It is supposed to be a PG rated book. Putting the scorch marks....there...
> would shift the book into Elfbard territory.

She may have thought it was a "Rod of Oral Gratification"...

- Ron ^*^

In article <oFbue.6061$up5.3767@lakeread02>, ranpoirier@cox.net says...

> >>Heh, heh... that naughty Lidda!
> >
> > It is supposed to be a PG rated book. Putting the scorch marks....there...
> > would shift the book into Elfbard territory.
>
> She may have thought it was a "Rod of Oral Gratification"...

She certainly has an appropriate experssion...

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 07:09:06 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> scribed
into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:06:58 +0200, Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr>
>> scribed into the ether:
>>

>>>In article <3hr2bbFhusf8U1@individual.net>,
>>>m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid says...

>>>Heh, heh... that naughty Lidda!
>>

>> It is supposed to be a PG rated book. Putting the scorch marks....there...
>> would shift the book into Elfbard territory.
>
>She may have thought it was a "Rod of Oral Gratification"...

Well c'mon now, what's the point if the rod isn't attached to anything?

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 07:09:06 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> scribed
> into the ether:
>

>>Matt Frisch wrote:
>>

>>>On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:06:58 +0200, Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr>
>>>scribed into the ether:

>>>It is supposed to be a PG rated book. Putting the scorch marks....there...
>>>would shift the book into Elfbard territory.
>>
>>She may have thought it was a "Rod of Oral Gratification"...
>

> Well c'mon now, what's the point if the rod isn't attached to anything?

You have to remember that that picture was from BEFORE WotC came out
with the Warforged...

- Ron ^*^

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:14:56 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> scribed
into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 07:09:06 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> scribed
>> into the ether:

>>>She may have thought it was a "Rod of Oral Gratification"...
>>

>> Well c'mon now, what's the point if the rod isn't attached to anything?
>
>You have to remember that that picture was from BEFORE WotC came out
>with the Warforged...

In which case, the picture might be interpretted as a critical success, not
a critical failure.

To quote Fry: I never thought I'd die like this, but I'd always hoped.

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:14:56 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> scribed
> into the ether:
>

>>Matt Frisch wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 07:09:06 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> scribed
>>>into the ether:

>>>Well c'mon now, what's the point if the rod isn't attached to anything?
>>
>>You have to remember that that picture was from BEFORE WotC came out
>>with the Warforged...
>

> In which case, the picture might be interpretted as a critical success, not
> a critical failure.
>
> To quote Fry: I never thought I'd die like this, but I'd always hoped.

LOL, just watched that episode on DVD with the missus last week.

- Ron ^*^