Inspiron 8200 inverter

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me where th einverter is for an 8200 Inspiron? Screen goes
blank and is reddish when powered up. I replaced the screen itself (with
silver box-like thing adhered to back of screen, which I assume is the
backlight?)
The problem is exactly the same after the replacement, so I am assuming that
the replacement did not replace the bad part!
Since that is the case, what else can it be, and where would it be located?
Thanks in advance,
Jerry

The "silver box-like thing adhered to the back of the screen" was the
inverter. It provides the high voltage to the backlight tube. The reddish
discoloration and then blank is the backlight tube going bad. The back
light is a long clear glass tube which is inside the bottom edge of the
screen. Those pink and white wires from the inverter that you replaced are
the wires to the backlight. You can replace a backlight following the
procedure as shown here on an early Dell (XPi)
http://home.comcast.net/~stonent/screenfix.htm

This is a hard fix for the Inspiron 8XXX model. The tube is removable but
only after a lot of disassembly of the screen parts. You will probably have
to go to a third party to obtain a replacement tube. Someone like
http://www.jkllamps.com/index.cfm

Good luck, I've got two in the identical shape yours is in and I have not
had the confidence to try the repair yet.

bill

"Jerry Dubuke" <jdubuke.not.here@gpdservices.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> Can anyone tell me where th einverter is for an 8200 Inspiron? Screen
goes
> blank and is reddish when powered up. I replaced the screen itself (with
> silver box-like thing adhered to back of screen, which I assume is the
> backlight?)
> The problem is exactly the same after the replacement, so I am assuming
that
> the replacement did not replace the bad part!
> Since that is the case, what else can it be, and where would it be
located?
> Thanks in advance,
> Jerry

Thanks for the info!

ok - let me get this straight...it is a physical part of the LCD, right??
So, if I replaced the LCD, then in theory I should not see this, unless the
replacement was also bad?

Jerry