SUN Microsystems to use AMD Opteron

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Not sure if to believe this but here it is: <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/08050215.htm" target="_new">Click</A>

This will be one mega milestone for AMD if this turns out to be true !

<font color=purple>Ladies and Gentlemen, its...Hammer Time !</font color=purple>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Well, the SUN never sets for AMD apparently.

There were rumors before about Sun looking into AMD systems for servers, this may be what they were talking about. If it's true, it means good things for AMD, as they have a Major player in the server market now supporting their chipset.

I want to be your Opteron... Why don't you call my name - Peter Gabriel?

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
I believe that can be true if so a really good new for AMD and a really bad for intel.Soon it will be everyone vs Intel.

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
SUN annouced they will be releasing their next range of Cobalt server appliance machines over the next week. I would not be suprised if they have changed from Intel to AMD CPU's.

<font color=blue> The Opteration was a success... I'm now a full-wit</font color=blue> :eek:

eden

Champion
With SUN, AMD will show Intel, that they should not have sleeped through letting the Intel lemmings do their job of making Intel be king and ignoring AMD while it builds up...

Who knows, maybe more big time corps will join? After all Opteron is an interesting product, with a very good value price compared to others in its category, like Itanium...

--
Thunderbirds in wintertime, Northwoods in summertime! :lol:

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
If we look a the little historiw of Intel almost others INC that dare compete with intel are
1 dead
2 buy
3 AMD living virus that suck as most tech they can.

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie

eden

Champion
Conclusion= AMD's one little brave spunky boy, who's out there like a virus to Intel! I like that, it brought low prices and better CPUs, who's to complain! With SUN, they COULD get better revenues, more trusted market shares as consumers know their affiliations to SUN, and in the end AMD benefits and just might be able to make new fabs, therefore more CPUs, more OEMs, in the end AMD gets what it wants. I just hope they're not driving on Intel's road...

--
I set my graphics aperture to 1024MB, why can't I open anything now? :mad:

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
sun building amd boxes? It's about time someone marketed a rock-solid dependable amd system.

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
If we look a the little historiw of Intel almost others INC that dare compete with intel are
1 dead
2 buy
Sacre bleu! What the hell is that mess supposed to mean? Something about competing with Intel, but that #3 comment about AMD defies translation.

<i>Money talks. Mine always likes to say "goodbye." :smile: </i>

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
My translation is his translation misfired :)

Since AMD is one of the top 15 technology developers in the world (if you go by patents issued, having nearly 50% MORE patents per year than Intel) my guess is he meant this:

3 AMD strong technology innovator that utilizes their new technologies quickly and smartly

Mark-

<font color=blue>When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!</font color=blue>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Sometimes you just have to look at things from a funny angle to see them in the right light. :)

I ran "AMD living virus that suck as most tech they can." through WorldLingo's translator to go from English to German to Spanish to French to English, and suddenly it all made sense!

After all that, it now reads "The virus living of AMD, that aspires, because the major part of technology it can do it."

I was hoping somewhere along the way I could convince the translator to exchange virus for infectious, but oh well... In any event, I personally would give it the translation of "The infectious spirit of AMD that aspires to be a major part of technology because they can do it."

It works for me. :)

<pre><font color=orange><b>du hast den Sweater verkehrt an</b></font color=orange>
Oh my!</pre><p>