Help me install my CPU

homi

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
Hey all, im new to these boards and i need a bit of help. I know most of the basics and have installed RAM + a new video card into my system. Now im looking to put in a p3 600 mhz to replace my 450.

My current mobo is the Asus p2-99 (100 FSB ) , but in the manual it only liste jumper settings for up to processors 550 in speed. Would the 600 work in my system ? Would putting it in , put my mobo / cpu etc in danger of overheating ? Also do I need to bother adjusting the jumpers and mulitpliers, or can i just plug in the card and go . I'm a newbie when it comes to install CPUs and dont know much about overclocking etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thnx.

psyclone

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
if you can set the multipliers to 6.0x then the 600 shuld work, goto the manufacturer's website and see if you can get a bios update also.

<b>What was that!</b> :eek:

NurseMSIC

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Do you already have the 600Mhz chip, or are you intending to buy it (second hand i assume, either that or your local shop is REALLY behind the times)?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18108" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18108</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm fairly certain that your board does not support the proper voltage for newer processors. In all likelyhood the fastest CPU that will work is the very rare and expensive PIII 600 Katmai, notable by it's 512k of half-speed cache (Coppermines have 256k of full speed cache, but won't work do to lower voltage). A less expensive option is a Celeron 333 overclocked at 500MHz using the 100MHz FSB, celerons having full speed cache tend to be slightly faster than equally clocked PII's when set at 100MHz FSB.
If you have any kind of bus speed adjustment beyond 100MHz, I would try overclocking instead. Later model PII's, and all Celerons and PIII's are multiplier locked and will force the proper multiplier on your board.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?