Award Bios Not Recognizing CPU Speed

G

Well, I have gotten everything else up and running after more than a few major malfunctions. Now my only problem is that the bios isn't recognizing that i have a 1.2g Athlon. It's only recognizing 10.5x100, which is leaving it at a 1050, rather than a 1200. I have award bios, on a Tyan Trinity KT-A mobo, VIA Apollo Chipset. My other system has the same proc, but on an Abit KT7-A mobo, with award Bios, and it gives me the ability to change the speed on the proc. Why doesn't the Bios on the Tyan mobo give me the option, and does anyone have any clues on how to get to that option, so that i can change the proc speed, or can you tell me how to change the proc speed somehow? HELP PLEASE!
Thanks,
renee

G

To rule out a old bios version update it at tyans website<A HREF="http://www.tyan.com/support/html/b_tr_kta.html" target="_new"> Here </A>.

Check to see if the procesor has been penciled. if it has beed penciled incorrectlly or penciling has been rubbed off it could cause it to be detected at diffrent than defalt speed. remove it carfully and try that.

Check to see what the core says the CPU should be.

In-bios clock settings are motherboad specific. Not every board has clock and muiltiplyer settings in the bios. Check the manual or download it of thier website.

You can pencil the processor to a specific speed i think, but u need to look for the layout of all the bridges on the processor that you want to overclock it too.

<font color=red><i>XP1600+ 512MBDDR 120GB Raid0 No thoughs to overclocking it..</i></font color=red> :smile:

G

Ha Ha, i am a "newbie", so it's allll my fault!....roflmao
but i do have some clue as to what i am doing. FSB is already at 133 :)
Thanks!

G

Hey, thanks for the info. Bios already flashed with the latest bios upgrades. Still, no choice to set the CPU speed myself. And, i have NO CLUE what pencilling is. ha ha, i am kinda new to all of this. So, if you could kindly tell me what it means, and a basic how to, i can take it from there.
Thanks,
Renee

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Why doesn't the Bios on the Tyan mobo give me the option, and does anyone have any clues on how to get to that option, so that i can change the proc speed, or can you tell me how to change the proc speed somehow?
<b><A HREF="http://www.tyan.com/support/html/f_tr_kta.html" target="_new"><font color=red>Tyan mobo</A></b></font color=red> can only be adjusted its FSB via <b>jumers</b> not <b>BIOS</b>, and it only has 2 speeds 100MHz and 133MHz and offers no option to adjust multiplier.
It's only recognizing 10.5x100, which is leaving it at a 1050, rather than a 1200.
Are you sure it's Athlon 1200MHz because it should have its multiplier of 9 not 10.5?

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.