Do the other Northwoods O/C as well as the 1.6A ?

G

I've been reading a lot of posts from people that say they have gotten their PIV 1.6A Processors to run stable at 2.4GHZ. Does anybody know if the other Northwood processors can be overclocked just as well, such as the 1.8A, 2.0A, and 2.2A? If so, that means a 2.2A should be able to get close to 3.0 GHZ, right? Thanks for the help.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
No, they don't. The higher clocked the Northwood the less percentage you'll get extra out of it from overclocking. I doubt a 2.2GHz will go over 2.6 or 2.7GHz on stock cooling.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, they clock as well and some better.

The current 2.4B is reaching 3.2Ghz on air cooling.

I have seen many 1.8a that breach 3ghz

1.6A is the most bang for the buck for overclocking and budget systems.

<A HREF="http://www.vr-zone.com" target="_new">P4 overclocking database</A>

first page is mostly LN2 and dry ice cooling. but you will get a good idea what each P4 level is capable of.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Don't get me wrong, the P4 is an excellent overclocker, but overclocks this high are possible with convential air cooling. That site shows the maximum overclocks not the average.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Here's a more accurate database of overclockign speeds. <A HREF="http://overclockers.cssftware.com/cpudb/index.cfm" target="_new">Link</A>

The 2.2GHz P4 reachs over 2.8GHz so a faster P4 may just reach 3GHz or so, but it's not very likely.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have found the higher grade of CPU does clock higher on average.

Its all a crap shoot on how high any given CPU will overclock. So Cooling is the final factor.

You will not overclock worth a damn without good cooling.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Even the link you posted shows increases on each grade of CPU.

1.6a= 2856
1.8a= 3113
2.0a= 3200
2.2a= 3675

But this does not mean you will reach these speeds.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
All are good overclocking if your are going on 1.6A you need a very good mobo because you must go a very high FSB around 133 to 166.So forget RDRAM or you can find some Pc1066.

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
true i have forget the 3X multiplier.

But still wait for a mobo with 600 clock generator.

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No, they don't. The higher clocked the Northwood the less percentage you'll get extra out of it from overclocking. I doubt a 2.2GHz will go over 2.6 or 2.7GHz on stock cooling.
well lets see, you've got uncertainty part, the doubt part and now all you need is some fear.

way ta' go AMD_man!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

dhlucke

Polypheme
He posted a link. Fugger posted a link. They seem to be having a healthy debate. Anything you'd like to add to it?

<font color=red>I have a computer and it does weird stuff. please help.</font color=red>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Max overclock shows the consistant increase in speed grades, not flat lining at 2.8Ghz

I disagree with you on that. A single CPU that gets extroardinarily high could skew the results. Average overclock is a much better comparison. Granted, you have the idiots skewing the results down, but I still think it's more accurate than taking the max.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No matter how crude the data is, each speed grade reaches A higher speed on average.

True, there are some exceptional overclocking chips and people use LN2 but the data at overclockers.com supports my statement.

Now look at vr-zone.com's P4 database, it shows the P4 1.6a above several other speed grades. These are somewhat unrealistic overclocks for the casual overclocker to reach.

Final factor is the luck of the draw.