newbie system approval

G

o.k up until about a week or two ago i knew pretty much squat about hardware. I have learned quite a bit in this time mostly from the helpful people on all the various hardare forums.. basically i am a student who needs to get a new PC Mostly for web design i want it to be as powerful and as stable as possible while being able to provide me with decent future upgrade options. I have decided to build my own and after much discussion and suggestions this system below is what i'm currently looking at and what has been suggested to me. Please give any advice or suggestions as they are much appreciated to this newbie. i am on a certain budget here but it's probably pointless talking specific prices because i live in New Zealand- (different pricing & exchange rate)

CPU: Intel P4 1.8A Socket 472
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-8ITXE (i850)
RAM: 2 x 256MB PC800 RIMM
GFX: Matrox G450 AGP
HDD: Maxtor D740X 40GB ATA133 7200rpm
Case: iCute of your choice. includes good 320W PSU
Monitor: Auriga 19NF
Keyboard: BTC Windows Keyboard
Mouse: MS Intellimouse Explorer Optical

so thats it what do you think? i am not using it to play games or really to watch dvds either just for web design pretty much so thats why i was told to get the matrox instead of something like a g force etc.. the two things i am looking at changing at the moment are the screen (not sure about the quality of this one) and the case (i would really like an emermax FS-710 if i have enough $) i am totally new at this and am going on the advice given plus whatever i can find on the net which can be somewhat overwhelming to a newbie so any suggestions on what i should change please let me know..

NurseMSIC

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Well, since no one else has replied, i'd say that your system looks pretty good. It will certainly feel 'fast', will play the latest games for years to come, will be a decent work machine for a good 3 or 4 years, and you've got plenty of room to maneuver.
Only obvious thing to change could be the hard drive, as 40 Gig is small for a brand new drive. That said, mine is 40 Gig (a year old) and still has all my Mp3's (15 Gig and counting), photos, and video files (DV editing).
So the 40 Gig really is ok for now, and you can add a RAID card with a couple of bigger hard drives in the future.
Yep, go for it, get the machine and you'll be happy.

PS Dont forget to budget for little things like a floppy drive, and of course software.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18108" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18108</A>

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
I have an Antec SX635. GREAT case, GREAT power supply. Ive never heard of that monitor manufacturer. Havent own many monitors...Pretty happy with my 19" trinitron. I have the same chip, it overclocks well if you ever need a lil more umph. Looks like a screamer there.....

I sold my sig for $50.

bungee

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
I have some doubt about the GFX matrox... I don't think that it is a wise choice for long term. It could rapidly be the bottleneck of your system.

<font color=red> Hail the 10th anniversary of the fall of the great Sovyetskikh soyuz empire!

G

yes i was suggested the matrox becuase it is supposed to be very good in terms of 2d which realtes to me designing web pages and other 2d things instead of playing games but i am pretty ignorant towards these things sow hat do you suggest? all i want is a nice clear picture for design...

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
if 2d work is all you do, the matrox is fine. please, there is no reason you have to go out and buy the latest geforce card. i run a g550 and it's fine. then again i got a nice system, so i'm probably hindering performance, though i can't remember the last time i touched 3d game, hmmm.

[insert philosophical statement here]

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
this was a perfectly civilised conversation before you had to open your big mouth, get out of here, go give amdmeltdown a rim job or somthing.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
I'm just pointing out a fact, which has been demonstrated time and time again on this board. No need for crudeness here.

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
your comment is the farthest thing from the truth in this thread. and where are these demonstrations? amdmeltdowns posts are only demonstrations of why birth control is important.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It seems you wont be overclocking, is there a specific reason you decided to go the p4 route over an amd chip?
does he need your permission as well? face it, the guy did some research and the P4 kept popping up as the best choice, because it is.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AmdMELTDOWN on 05/14/02 03:13 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the two things i am looking at changing at the moment are the screen (not sure about the quality of this one) and the case (i would really like an emermax FS-710 if i have enough $) i am totally new at this and am going on the advice given plus whatever i can find on the net which can be somewhat overwhelming to a newbie so any suggestions on what i should change please let me know..
cool system! if all you'll be doing is webdesign then you might want to look into some flatsceen monitors, as for the case I would get a chieftec case same as antec.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

G

.. there now is a possiblity i might sell some of my audio gear if so i will be looking at around $2000 easily which probably equates to something like US$900 (our weak as [-peep-] dollar being as it is) so anyway if i do this i will maybe get a really decent case & better screen since these are more long term things and probably deserve a little more attention huh?

this is the case i'm looking currently at: not sure if it's really worth me spending so much on a case though.. especially considering i'd have to hand out some more cash for a good psu as well but hey... have a look
http://www.pccasegear.com/prod160.htm