Intel System for a Friend

G

I'm building a state-of-the-art Intel machine for a friend, and I am wondering if this system is good and all:

Pentium 4 2.4GHz Socket 478 Northwood Intel
GeForce 4 Ti 4600 ASUS
106S 16x DVD-ROM Drive Pioneer
24x/10x/40x PlexWriter CD-RW Plextor
DiamondMax Plus D740X 80GB 7200RPM ATA/133 HDD Maxtor
Sound Blaster X-Gamer 5.1 Creative Labs
VS-190P 19" Monitor KDS
D850MVL i850 Pentium 4 478-pin ATX w/ Audio & LAN Intel
Windows XP Home OEM Microsoft
256MB 800MHz Non-ECC RDRAM (2) Kingston
V.92 Modem Blaster 56K PCI Creative Labs
AVS300W Multimedia 3-Piece Speaker Altec Lansing
Dragon Orb HSF for Pentium 4 478-pin 6000RPM ThermalTake
Antec SX1040B SOHO File Server w/ 400W PSU (BLACK) Antec
Rambus Continuity RIMM (2) Kingston

Any problems with these specs?

Oh, and a little off-topic, but whats a good Athlon T-Bird temperature reader?

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
WOW... But you forgot the kitchen sink!

Seriously... Since you have created a power machine at what seems no concern for cost I would also consider going for raid disks to remove the only bottle neck of your system.

<font color=blue> The Opteration was a success... I'm now a full-wit</font color=blue> :eek:

G

RAID, eh? Where can I find some info on setting up a RAID array. At this point in time, it costs him $2500, not including my labor.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I would go with the Abit TH7-II RAID and a couple 80GB Maxtor "silent drives" (model 6L080L4) in Level 0.

I would try the stock CPU cooler as these are VERY GOOD and very quiet. I would use the identicle Enermax case sense I believe they have a better quality power supply.

I would used SAMSUNG PC800, because it has a better history of overclockability, and forget the CRIMMS as they are included with the board.

I would use the 40x Plextor CDRW since the price is similar

I would look to the Sound Cards forum for a different soundcard. The best standard PC soundcard for quality is a different brand which is no longer supported, except by users like me.

I would consider the 1.8A at 2.4 instead of the 2.4A because it will perform better. The 2.4B is also out, but cost hundreds more than the equally capable 1.8A at 2.4.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

FatBurger

Illustrious
I agree with everything Crash said, except that you should stay away from the liquid bearing Maxtors. I've heard from several people that they have problems in RAID 0. Same with the Seagate Barracuda IV, although they supposedly have a version that works well in RAID 0 (haven't seen it yet).

You're putting together a $2500 system and using just about the worst sound card you could possibly put in there? Grab a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, you'll be glad you did. Best sound drivers on the market, and a great quality card.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
You're putting together a $2500 system and using just about the worst sound card you could possibly put in there? Grab a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, you'll be glad you did. Best sound drivers on the market, and a great quality card.
I have a santa cruz and can vouge for the above statement 100%.

One issue however is do not use the drivers included on the cd with windows xp, download the latest drivers from turtlebeach.com, the reason is the cd drivers cause a conflict with windows xp's scandisk, and cause a bsod everytime you try to scan.

(dont ask me how I cant figure out how drivers which arent loaded on a scandisk run can cause a bsod)

Linkage
<A HREF="http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/5854006.asp" target="_new">BSOD</A>

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

Everything is good but the sound card and motherboard.

Look into the turtle beach santa cruz. I hear people love this sound card. The case is fine. I have the case and it is fine. I never ran into a problem.

Motherboard i never heard of get the Abit board.

You don't need crimms.

ALso get the "quite drive" from maxtor. KDS is alright if you never plan on using the warranty. It takes them 2 weeks plus whatever time it takes for you to ship it out from UPS. 2 weeks from when they get it in.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
I am again every piece of hardware in that except maybe the case.

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie